Kings Island Coaster Logos of Old

Swatson

Good Afternoon,

I am making my husband a KI roller coaster quilt and I am looking for some old logos of coasters that are no longer functioning that I cannot locate online. If anyone can post a close match to the original logos I would super appreciate it! The coaster logo I am searching for is: Bavarian Beetle. I am also looking to find an original for The Racer if anyone has one, otherwise I will use the current one and maybe they are the same? I am also looking for a confirmation on the original logo for Demon. Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks,

Sam

• Like 3

Although I wasn't really paying attention back then, I've seen this referenced as the original Demon logo: kisdemon.jpg In fact, I saw what was purported to be the original artwork for that for sale on either eBay or Craigslist a few years back. 

They also used this logo later:

Screamin%20Demon%204%20Views.jpg

Out of curiosity, how will you be putting the logos on the fabric?

• Like 1

Although I wasn't really paying attention back then, I've seen this referenced as the original Demon logo: kisdemon.jpg In fact, I saw what was purported to be the original artwork for that for sale on either eBay or Craigslist a few years back. 
Screamin%20Demon%204%20Views.jpg
Out of curiosity, how will you be putting the logos on the fabric?

I will be building the logos piece by piece and then appliquéing them onto a solid black. Thanks for the help on Demon I had also seen both of those while I was looking. I'll just let him pick which one he likes better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, Swatson said:

Good Afternoon,

I am making my husband a KI roller coaster quilt and I am looking for some old logos of coasters that are no longer functioning that I cannot locate online. If anyone can post a close match to the original logos I would super appreciate it! The coaster logo I am searching for is: Bavarian Beetle. I am also looking to find an original for The Racer if anyone has one, otherwise I will use the current one and maybe they are the same? I am also looking for a confirmation on the original logo for Demon. Any help is appreciated! 

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, 

Took some digging but so far, here is what I found for The Racer....

When Old Coney Island was in it's last season down by the river, they had a billboard setup in the park advertising the new park and it's star attraction, The Racer (1st pic)

It was only an artist rendering and I don't think too much thought was placed on a logo or design from what I can tell.

The second pic is a short clip from the Banana Splits in Hocus Pocus Park vid focusing on the Tumble Bug, but you can clearly see Racer's entrance building and what appears to be the very same building we have today. Back then it had Red and White stripes on the roof and the coaster's name spread out across the lower arch of the facade just above where today's turnstiles are. It looks as if it simply states "The Racer" spread out in an arch pattern in large red lettering. Can't focus in too much on that grainy video to see the actual font however, but I believe it will get you close to what you were looking for. 

Hope this helps.

Sources:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Kings Island?updated-max=2016-07-20T18:40:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=8&by-date=false

https://KICentral.com/thumbor/oJ6AYEZBjLPFiDJz0qHx0BMTc60=/fit-in/1280x1024/http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fu8uNdp3.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

fullsizeoutput_73.jpeg

You're going to definitely need to keep us updated with pics as you go along and of the final product. I know I can't be the only one who is very interested to see it!

I will for sure! I am hoping to start working on it soon! Gotta start getting my supplies together

• Like 4

I second Magenta Lizard's comment in saying that I'm looking forward to the finished product (and to see if SOB/King Cobra are included); this is a really cool project! ^_^ Also, in reference to that Tumble Bug image, it's crazy to think that ride once stood where the basketball games are now!

• Like 1

I second Magenta Lizard's comment in saying that I'm looking forward to the finished product (and to see if SOB/King Cobra are included); this is a really cool project!  Also, in reference to that Tumble Bug image, it's crazy to think that ride once stood where the basketball games are now!

We are including SOB and king cobra :) I wasn't a huge coaster nut until I met my husband kinda makes it hard not to be he loves them so much lol I love looking at pictures of the parks changes over the years I am now obsessed lol

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2017 at 0:32 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

Although I wasn't really paying attention back then, I've seen this referenced as the original Demon logo: [Black Logo] In fact, I saw what was purported to be the original artwork for that for sale on either eBay or Craigslist a few years back. 

[Postcard]

Bumping this a little, but you have it backwards: the logo on the postcard is the earlier logo. The ride opened as Screamin' Demon in 1977, and it wasn't renamed The Demon until 1982. I assume this was done to make it more consistent with the park's other "monsters" - The Beast, The Bat, and, now, The Demon.

Also, bonus fun fact: in the postcard you can see that the train has six cars. But if you look at later photos - even from late 1977 - it only has five cars. The train was shortened midseason, for whatever reason, and operated for the remainder of its existence with five cars and an empty set of queues at the front of the station, where the sixth car used to sit when loading.

• Like 4