Kings Island Finally Finds Solution to Royal Fountain Geese Problem

pianoman

For those of you that have already met me, you probably know that I am a big fan of the Royal Fountains. Ever since I was a kid, I have always adored them. I am such a geek that I even have the patterns memorized and at night when the lights are on, I can tell which light colors will come on next.

Every spring, Kings Island faces the problem with Canada geese sitting around the fountain. To me, geese are just a pain in the rear. They crap on everything, and can be very vicious. The problem is that there is an intrusion detection system around the fountain. At night, when the lights are on, there are two infrared beams that surround the fountain. If there is a break in the beam, such as someone jumping in, it turns all of the lights off to prevent electrocution. When the geese sit around the fountain, it tricks the system into thinking someone is jumping in, so it turns all of the lights off.

I have talked to maintenance before and they told me all of this so I am not making this up. When I was at Kings Island on April 21st, I noticed that there have been three wires installed around the entire fountain to prevent geese from sitting on the edge. I am so glad that they did this. Kudos to maintenance or whoever came up with this idea. Now, we can all enjoy sitting on International Street at night watching the fountains with the lights on not worrying about the geese causing them to go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

At a sailing club in Illinois I used to belong to they would string some fishing line bout 6-8 feet in the air along the the length of the docks and that seemed to keep the gulls and other flying critters off of them and the boats.  Not sure exactly how it works but probably something similar.  

• Like 1

We were selling Scout Camp Cards in front of Walmart in STL a few years ago and these geese decided to make their nest in the planter.  They would get all bossy with cars driving by holding up traffic.   I don't understand how these creatures survived the evolutionary process.   The SUV is going to survive every time.  

IMG_2341.JPG

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Honorarius said:

I'll give you a hint as to how we control 'em up here: They're edible...

There is a hunting season for Canada Geese. However, in the US they are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. More info at ODNR - http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/nuisance-wildlife

This is from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service: https://www.fws.gov/birds/faqs.php "However, if you are a landowner, homeowner’s association, public land manager, or local government in the lower 48 states or the District of Columbia, you may be able to  register for federal authorization to destroy resident Canada Goose nests and eggs on property under your jurisdiction."

• Like 2

They're protected here by the Migratory Birds Convention Act...  From https://www.ec.gc.ca/mbc-com/default.asp?lang=en&n=98A918B1-1#ws988AAEC9"The MBCA provides for the protection and conservation of migratory birds, and prohibits people from harming birds, except under specified conditions. Several species, including Canada geese, are considered game birds and may be hunted. The Act gives the federal government the responsibility to establish hunting seasons" ...

So basically they say when you can hunt them, how many you can hunt and make you get a license... Here in Ontario it's a $17 dollar license on top of your regular hunting license... Bag limit last year was 5 a day, no limit on how many you could have in your freezer...

• Like 1

I actually had a gaggle of mixed geese stop by my back porch occasionally when I lived in Landen. These were Canada and greylag geese, sometimes accompanied by other anseriformes like mallard ducks. They had been spoiled by the previous occupants, who must have fed them a lot, because they would cautiously waddle up to our patio and, once they realized they weren't getting fed, would simply lay down and tuck their bills into their feathers and sleep.  Because of this, I developed a love for the species, but I understand how they can annoy some.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

We saw one in the fountain when the fountain was on full bore, like it was no big deal.

They will never get rid of them. If they are terrorizing guests, I'll grab one by it's neck. That will be the end of that goose!

And you can be heavily fined. These animals are protected by law. 

• Like 3

And you can be heavily fined. These animals are protected by law. 

You can't be fined when an animal is harassing you or being a nuisance to you.

It's the same as taking a deer who is causing property damage.

Better read that law again.
  • Like 1