The Story of Mystic Timbers (Spoilers)

SpectralBeacon

(Beware Shed Spoilers ahead)

So far this season iv'e only been on Preview Day, but iv'e been taking some not of other peoples visits and experiences, and what i'm trying to do is piece together the whole story behind the ride. I recall Don mentioning that you will need to ride it multiple times to understand the shed, but the queue also has lots of story elements. Some of this may need clarification as its been a bit since i was there, and it was loud and hectic on preview day. In the end, im looking to try to solve the full mystery of the Miami River Lumber Co.

The Queue

-Entering the ride you hear that there has been an evacuation of the Miami River Lumber Co.

-The Crashed truck makes me assume the evacuation was sudden and urgent

-Security footage of over 100 cameras of the area are providing "live feed" (Only a few are actually shown but the camera number goes past 100)

-Theres 2 people exploring the woods on one feed, they have an exchange about (?) seeing something in the woods, and that they should keep going (I couldn't hear their full conversation)

-Continuing along the queue, in Wood Shed 2, the backpack and walkie talking of one of the people in the previous security footage is pinned in the top corner and will speak occasionally about the shed providing some sort of warning (?) (Even standing right next to the backpack and speaker i could not understand the audio, although i think i heard the voice saying you have to get in the shed)

-Before entering the station there is one more security feed, this time of possibly a security guard with a flashlight becoming frightened of something off screen in the woods and running away (I don't think there is dialogue in this clip)

The Ride and Shed

-The ride itself doesn't provide many story elements itself that i noticed (But i also rode at night in the dark) However there is Audio on the lift hill of which mentions that you should Take the truck and go back home to your video games, and to not go in the shed.

-The pre shed break run provides a final warning to not go in the shed and that it is a restricted area, before mysteriously becoming jumbled and eerily telling you to go in while slowly pulling the truck inside.

-Inside the show you are treated to wonderful theming of an abandoned lumber mill with the vines from the preview video taking over before the final break run

-Here you will encounter 1 of three shows featuring 3 different creatures accompanied to a variety of songs (Gary Newman - Cars / Hall and Oats - Maneater / Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart) All of which seem to have a cool old school scary movie vibe having to do with locking yourself in your car, and that there may be a monster in hiding

-Once the music cuts, a black light will flash revealing hidden messages on the walls (Its the shed?) And the show will finish. Ive only had the bats which will fly at you and a giant monster bat will land just as you escape back to the station (I had a hard time seeing other shed elements and the show as i was assigned a back row seat)

And thats all i have on it so far that i have picked up. Ive heard speculation in other threads that there isn't a real "Monster" to the ride, but it is the shed itself that is haunted or the "Monster". Something i thought is that maybe the shed is the source of all the paranormal creatures around the park, The Bat (The Bat new and old), The giant Snake (Diamondback), and the tree (The Vines that tried to take over). Maybe the Lumber Company was a cover up for a Monster Research Facility, and they escaped from the Shed where they were being kept and now run ramped throughout the park.  This would also add to the 2 explores in the queue cameras sneaking into the area to see if rumors of a monster lab were true and the security being frightened off by something mysterious off camera escaping

Id love to hear what you guys have pieced together, and if you have heard any of the dialogue more clearly! 

• Like 11

Crack theory: The on ride photo says "World Premiere" Assuming that its not talking about this season being the rides premiere, what if Mystic Timbers is an 80s Horror Movie homage in the sense the Stunt Coaster is an action set? The 80s Music in the shed, the cliche monster in the woods and missing explorers who trespassed? The monster attacking in the shed is the post credits scene, a to be continued if you will for when you ride again upon hearing about different endings. :P

(Although i personally like the first idea more)

• Like 5

Interesting ideas! I hadn't thought of it that way.

The impression I had was a bit more straightforward, haha:

The Miami River Lumber Company opened in the woods near KI. However, not long after, something evil took residence in the shed and caused all employees to flee and put the entire facility on lockdown. (In the middle of the frantic evacuation, one of the trucks is crashed into the entrance sign and promptly abandoned without so much as turning off the radio.) The only employees left were security people who are there to keep people away.

We, as guests, are trespassing on the Miami River Lumber Co. grounds, along with the guy and girl shown in the video. (I'm assuming we consider ourselves "urban explorers"--think Adam the Woo on YouTube.) We wander the grounds (i.e., the queue) to explore, and we come across an abandoned backpack and radio. We hear... something in the shed. We push forward, eager to see what's caused everyone to head for the hills.

As you approach the station, the guy and girl "see" you on the security cameras and, using the company's PA system, urge you to run--there's truly something awful lurking in the shed. They urge you to hotwire "that truck" (i.e., the coaster train) and escape. (This is the audio that plays just outside the station--it's one of the harder audio clips to make out, which is a little frustrating. It's one of the most important parts of the story!) So, you do just that. The truck roars to life, and you pull out of the station.

As you do that, someone in the security office catches you on the cameras (and, I'm assuming, has found and apprehended your fellow explorers.) He tells you to stop via the PA and go home. You press on--and just before you're out of earshot, he warns you not to go into the shed.

The next bit is a little fuzzy to me, so I'm probably taking some liberties here: I think the noise after the security guard warns you about the shed is supposed to be a microphone screech, as if the guard has been suddenly yanked away from the microphone by... something. And then the ride begins. Story-wise, I can't choose between three different scenarios for what role the ride itself plays:

Scenario 1: Throwing caution to the wind, you take the truck for a joy ride. This is your adventure, and you'll make of it what you will. You hop hills, make sudden turns, and splash through a nearby pond until you happen upon the shed. And you try to stop, but something has taken control of your truck and draws it into the shed... (Alternatively, maybe you just think everyone's overreacting and decide to call their bluff by entering the shed yourself? Maybe it's curiosity?)

Scenario 2: Fear grips you when the security guard is pulled from the microphone--you want nothing to do with this shed, and you hit the gas and begin flying through the woods to escape. You don't know which way you're going, but you have no time to think--it's fight or flight. Alas, you suddenly hit the brakes--you ended up at the shed after all! Was it your poor sense of direction, or did the woods themselves lead you here?! Before you can put the truck in reverse and escape, something takes hold and causes your truck to enter the shed...

Scenario 3: Much like what's shown in the announcement video, you're meant to imagine that the woods have suddenly gotten a mind of their own and are chasing you through the woods. They lead you to the shed, and you have no other choice but to enter...

Regardless of which scenario we're meant to experience, we enter the shed and discover what lies inside. I guess, for the story's sake, we technically died? The tale pretty much ends there.

It might not win any awards for best storytelling, but I really love the theme of Mystic Timbers. It's simple, but it's definite. (Even better, it's not the blatant clone of Verbolten's theme that I was afraid it would be!) It makes me incredibly happy to have storytelling at KI again. And it's even an awesome ride without the theme, to boot. But with the theme, I've honestly felt myself be more excited to re-ride MT than I have any other new ride since I've been buying myself a pass, which has been every year since 2008.

Mystic Timbers is a big win for KI. For me, the storytelling is a large part of why I think that. I honestly hope we see more like it in the future.

• Like 14

Wow, i love your breakdown of the ride, I never thought of the Queue being us exploring to woods! I really love the storytelling it can offer and that it can be a straightforward story, or something to debunk, it really adds to the whole experience. I hope that maybe over time, they adjust some of the story driven audio to make it easier to hear, i think it makes the wait to ride much more fun when you get to put together a story while waiting. 

• Like 1

On Media Day, one of the people who got up on the podium to speak was from, I believe, the company that did the preshow (so what you see on the screens in the queue and hear over the speakers before the station). She gave a rundown of the supposed history, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense when you compare it with some of the other theming...

From what I remember of what she said, in the early 1980s, when looking for a location to build the new Miami River Lumber Company, they found an old shack in the woods that was said by locals to have been abandoned/avoided due to mysterious disappearances. They tore down the shack and began to build for their company (because why wouldn't you want to build at the location of a haunted shack?), with the Shed being in roughly the location of the original shack. There were some disappearances but eventually the place was built and they opened: for one day! Something happened and everyone fled, wrecking the work truck against the post in their haste before continuing on foot. And the Shed has been sitting abandoned ever since. 

• Like 10

^^ are you referring to "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" by Frankie Valli? Because it starts with "You're just too good to be true..."

If so, yes, I've heard it. Along with Cars, Maneater, and Total Eclipse of the Heart. 

Oh and better than relying on my crappy memory, the lady I mentioned (Amy Steele from Holovis) gets up to talk at about 12:30 on this video

• Like 2

Good explanation, TombRaiderFTW; the instruction to hotwire the truck and explore the woods explains why I hear the "roaring" sound every time a train pulls out of the station. Honestly, I think MT's story is a little hard to follow (but I do appreciate what you all have been able to piece together). However, even if there was no clear story, the theming and the stellar ride experience speaks for itself.

EDIT:

@Magenta Lizard: Amy Steele's story actually makes sense when you think about

how/if the things in the shed could represent the KI's old rides (As well as being actual bats/snake/tree monster), like they are coming back to haunt the company that built on that site. 

Me gusta! B)

• Like 2

For me, the real sticking point of the story is the "only open for one day" part. There's the sign in the queue about number of days without an accident (five or seven I think), and the whole place (especially the shed) has more of a lived-in look (with the way personal items, tools, and storage are used) than an "abandoned brand-new" look to me.  The truck also looks like it was used for a long time prior to the wreck and the name painted on the side doesn't look terribly newer than the truck. Maybe this location was supposed to be an expansion of Miami River Lumber, but that only explains the truck and not the rest. 

Also, being abandoned for 30 years, why so much modern security watching the place? An actual guard (possibly more than one, I think the voice in the queue and lift hill are different), on location? At an abandoned facility that was never used and presumably never will be? Who's paying for all this? There's definitely more going on here they're trying to cover up :)

• Like 5

I kind of given this some thought, but I think KI is going for a bit of a pseudo-Beast vibe with Mr T.  Once all those trees grow in, it will be difficult to see the layout from the midway with nothing but the first 2 hills in sight.  Obviously you'll see it well from the WWC queue, the flume and the train, but it still has a bit of that aura about it without it seeming to have too much in common with Beast in terms of aesthetics.  

• Like 1

After riding Flight of Fear again, now I'm wondering if maybe aliens might have something to do with the things that haunt the woods near the late Miami River Lumber Co.  The military division that is trying to keep the UFO hidden in FoF would probably have the funding and motive to cover the security cameras and guards of Mystic Timbers in a way a lumber company that abandoned the facility 30-some years ago never would. 

Also, @Shaggy posted this image as part of his Sit On It Facebook. It's from a special park guide from the year Beast opened. I've cropped it just to show the sign which explains the storyline of The Beast to parkgoers. (I feel like we need one for Mystic Timbers).

IMG_2503.JPG

It says:

PUBLIC NOTICE: Help is urgently solicited!

Due to the increasing occurrence of mysterious Noises, Inexplicable Tremors, and vicious acts of Vandalism within these premises, It has become necessary to suspend the normal operation of this Company.

Although the Cause of this Evil Phenomenon defies identification, Authorities agree it is surely the work of some Demonic Creature of prodigious size, which for now can only be designated as:

The Beast

LET THE FOOLHARDY BEWARE! This so-named Beast appears to be very much alive and intent upon conquering all who would oppose him. Nothing of the Imagination would be able to inflict such terror upon the Human Soul.

IT IS WITH UTMOST URGENCY that the Management entreats all civic-spirited persons to assist its loyal Employees in the ongoing effort to subdue this disruptive Scourge and restore order to the Community.

ALL VOLUNTEERS will kindly apply by entering through the Employment Office. (At times it may be necessary to await recruitment at the Observation Area to the left of the Office Building.) Thank you, and may the Lord have Mercy!

CHARLES J. DINN President

The Little Miami Amalgamated Mining & Minerals Co.

It sure sounds familiar. Apparently in the almost 40 years since then, they've decided too many people have been lost and are trying to warn people off rather than draw them in.
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

It's still not too late to add theming to the railroad that would tie in to the Mystic Timbers story. In the story, the railroad was meant to ship out the lumber cut by the company.

There's no way the park would never be able to add this much theming to the train but this was the idea I came up with. Some of the obvious takeaways are the large boats, excessive buildings, and vehicles.

mill work concept.png

However, it can't be said that the park couldn't maybe add some large stacks of lumber or timber alongside the track, warning signs and maybe some abandoned equipment. Maybe have the western town re-themed and overrun with vines. 

• Like 7

On 12/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, SonofBaconator said:

It's still not too late to add theming to the railroad that would tie in to the Mystic Timbers story. In the story, the railroad was meant to ship out the lumber cut by the company.

There's no way the park would never be able to add this much theming to the train but this was the idea I came up with. Some of the obvious takeaways are the large boats, excessive buildings, and vehicles.

mill work concept.png

However, it can't be said that the park couldn't maybe add some large stacks of lumber or timber alongside the track, warning signs and maybe some abandoned equipment. Maybe have the western town re-themed and overrun with vines. 

I love this, it would really enhance the story.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do they change the songs in the shed? It seems like everytime I go, I hear a new song that I haven't heard before. Just yesterday I heard Cars by Gary Numan which I never heard before. And I haven't heard Maneater since Coasterstock weekend. The only constant song I've heard has been Total Eclipse of the Heart.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I'm not complaining, but I wonder if the park ever planned on having the headlights on the trains work. It would have been cool to see them come on at certain parts of the ride and go off at others.

THIS^ things like that really improve the experience.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, spooky21 said:

I dig it, doubt it will happen but would be cool if it did.

They COULD if they really wanted to, but I doubt it would happen. I like how Universal added lights to the Incredible Hulk coaster in 2016. It would be a nice touch if you rode it at night and saw the lights going on and off. 

Going back to adding to the story, I honestly wouldn't mind on ride audio on the trains in terms of engine noises. Nothing too loud to where you couldn't hear the actual coaster, but something light enough to hear while you're riding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...