Oktoberfest Area Facelift?

2012Jarrett

When it comes to overhauling Oktoberfest to be more German again, food is definitely the way to go. The main problem is how well it would sell to guests. The brats, metts, sauerkraut and German potato salad didn't sell well when the park introduced Christian Moerlein Biergarten, which led to the nachos replacing it. That's something to consider when the discussion is about redoing Oktoberfest. 

• Like 3

I think that they should take out the latter game and put in a coaster there. I always thought that they could put an Oktoberfest themed coaster. I'm thinking something themed to Harvesting or something. What type of coaster? I say b&m or Mack giga and would use the area left of Flight of Fear and would also connect to Xbase and would have an Oktoberfest sign coming from Xbase entering Oktoberfest. I agree on more flats as well. I think relocating slingshot would be nice and put some flats there. Also put in a restroom and another food option.

• Like 2

A Mondial Top Scan would look great in Oktoberfest, or maybe a Gerstlauer Skyroller. But regarding food, it would be interesting to see the Mac & Cheese bar stay in that area, maybe move it intp the Festhaus and move Panda Express to International Street. However, I don't think the park would bring back the food they had a few seasons ago if it wasn't selling well.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

^ I doubt that would go there. Too many memories / It is almost the same ride as Flight Commander.

I agree that it's similar, but honestly, at this only people who have been going to KI for decades are going to remember the tragic events. The woman's death was due to her intoxication and happened almost 30 years ago (1991), and the ride closed almost 25 years ago. The pond electrocutions also happened in '91, but we still have a pond and koi fish to feed in it all this time later.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mayaman2 said:

I agree that it's similar, but honestly, at this only people who have been going to KI for decades are going to remember the tragic events. The woman's death was due to her intoxication...

Flight Commander was a death trap waiting to happen. The same thing that happened to her would have happened sooner or later to a single rider that fainted, had a heart attack, etc. The root of the issue was with the restraints and how the manufacturers wanted all restraints in empty seats kept up, not that she was drunk.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, whengodsaysgo said:

I love the Oktoberfest theme as much as the next person, but honestly the theming that was once there is so far gone, it would almost make sense to go a completely different route.  It's the smallest "area" of the park.

Replace the Octoberfest themeing? Why does it need to go in a different direction?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoadAndGo said:

Replace the Octoberfest themeing? Why does it need to go in a different direction?

It doesn't have to go a different direction.  It just needs some love to get it back to where it was.  An alternative option would just be to love on the area in any form - Oktoberfest or otherwise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, whengodsaysgo said:

It doesn't have to go a different direction.  It just needs some love to get it back to where it was.  An alternative option would just be to love on the area in any form - Oktoberfest or otherwise.

I think that's a statement that could be applied to the entire park lol

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 3:17 PM, chugh43 said:

I could get behind that. A little touch of paint does wonders.

It does. I really wish Cedar Fair could take a page from Busch Gardens and add some more theming around some of their sections to give them more individuality. We've seen some improvements to Rivertown, Coney Mall, and even Action Zone, but Oktoberfest leaves something to be desired. 

Oktoberfest doesn't really feel "Bavarian" like it should be. The park used to have Der Spinnen Keggers, Bavarian Beetle, and Bayern Curve which fit the German theme. As years went on, I felt like Oktoberfest became more of a subsection of the Lion Country Safari with Adventure Express. Nowadays it feels like a random cluster of themes; a tropical mine train, a Mexican burrito shack, a Viking ship, a German bar and patio, a large German cafeteria, and a slingshot ride.

I would repaint Slingshot some vibrant colors, retheme Adventure Express to fit a German theme, change the name and food choices of Hank's Burrito shack, and add another flat ride that would fit the German theme. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 7:45 PM, Joshua said:

I think the Festhaus could definitely use some more options and a salad bar is an excellent suggestion. I wouldn't mind seeing Tom + Chee and/or Skyline in there. However, I am in love with the Hofbrauhaus idea or something similar to the Taft's Ale House. But at the very least, I would like to see them get some new food options in there somehow. 

This (in bold). If this happened, the only reason to go to Rivertown would be the rides and the mazes; I'd stay on the left side of the park my entire visit!