Does Racer count as 2 credits???

Mystic.Timber1

So if your the type if enthusiast that does coaster credits here's a question. Does Racer count as 2 different credits, I've heard both sides (that it does and doesnt) so I thought to ask the experts....YOU GUYS AND GALS! AGAINow to  very sorry for posting this twice i dont know what happened it said it could not post so i clicked "POST" again and now there are 2 if you could please tell me how to delete it

The only correct answer here is that it counts as two credits if you choose to count it as two credits, or one credit if you choose to count it as one credit. Because at the end of the day, there's no prizes for highest credit count, so all that matters is how you personally choose to track them. :)

As for me? I count each distinct single-ride experience from boarding the train to exiting the train as one credit. So I would count KI's Racer as two credits, along with Gemini, but unlike a lot of other people, I would also count Kennywood's Racer (a Möbius Loop) as two credits, since two rides are needed to experience the whole thing. Twisted Colossus, on the other hand, would be one credit for me since both sides of its Möbius Loop are experienced in a single ride.

• Like 7

This is one hundred percent personal preference.  There are a number of issues with counting coasters, do clones count?  Think about the number of SLC, boomerang, Skyrocket II, and other standard layout coasters.  If a coaster is moved, is it counted in each location?  For instance, do you count both X-Flight and Firehawk?  Back to your original question when does it become two different coasters?  Totally different layouts which share a station like Dragon Challange, mirrored layouts like Racer, or are two coaster tracks with basically the same layout like Gemini two different coasters?

I consider Racer as a single coaster with two tracks.  Which I would only count as one ride.  But it is completely up to you to decide where the line is between similar coasters.

• Like 3

I can udnerstand the argument for either side, but I personally count it as one credit since it's hte same layout, jsut mirrored, and experience. I counted it as two when one side ran backwards as there was a different expereince for each side.

But what about on one day they only run the red side and then another day only the blue side?  If they were not mirrored would it make a difference?  Doesn't need to be plural to be considered two?  Does your toothbrush only brush one tooth?  When you get a haircut was only one strand of hair cut?

It is two separate tracks and trains and operating sides that share a station.  Whether it is a mirror or not shouldn't make a difference.  If a mirror copy means it is one credit - so does every mirror coaster scattered throughout the country only count as one credit?

As jcgoble I think best addresses - it is what you decide and there isn't a prize.  Some may consider Top Gun, Flight Deck, and The Bat as 3 credits cause the name and theming changed.  Some consider surf dog a coaster.  Some consider Firehawk as two credits - there is a portion of the track that isn't the same depending on which color train you get - so they have a credit for each side.  Some consider a ride moved as another credit.  Even more may consider a credit for every clone of a coaster even though they only rode one of them (that would be a stretch but some that look to boost their credit count do that).

And on another similar topic, those that count ride counts will count rides on media days, photo shoots, etc. in their count total.  In reality, to be "accepted" by a records book, it has to be rides during normal operating hours, need to have got out of your seat and gone back through the line, etc... and to those trying to get in record books, that can be a big deal...

I say just go to the park and have fun and not worry about credits and ride counts!

• Like 3

It may be advertised as 1 attraction, but this coaster literally has 2 tracks.  If you split this ride down the middle you'd have 2 cloned coasters. Now if it was a möbius loop I'd consider it one credit. But it's literally 2 different coasters advertised as 1 attraction. I think it's  2 credits. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

that was probably the safest version I could find

But you have "pants" and "pant leg"  I am not sure what part of pair of pants is the "pant" part.  However shorts are not pants so maybe the long leg part is a pant.  On the other hand you still put on a "pair of shorts" but shorts don't have legs so that doesn't seem right.  

• Like 1

I always considered renames a credit. For example, Chang from KK is one credit and Green Lantern at Great Adventure is it's own credit. In my opinion, any change to the ride experience like a different name, new trains, or even track modifications make the coaster a new credit. Therefore, I consider Rougaroo a new credit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

I am not sure I understand the rules to the credit system. What is the purpose and what ride experiences would generate multiple credits?

The purpose: to give yourself something arbitrary to brag about to other enthusiasts. ;)

It really carries no value at all, and everyone has different rules. It just gets discussed a lot in enthusiast circles since we're typically the ones who care about this kind of stuff.

All of the following topics have been known to affect someone's credit count and are frequently discussed:

-Do powered coasters (ones that are constantly powered by motors, like Surf Dog) count as actual roller coasters?

-Are RMC's Topper Track rides wooden credits or steel credits?

-Is Kennywood's Racer one credit or two? (Part two: does your answer  or reasoning change when applied to Twisted Colossus?)

-Is Haunted House at Camden Park a credit?

-Is Dorney's Demon Drop a credit?

-How much does a ride have to change before it's considered a new credit? (Part two: how does your reasoning change when applied to regular wooden coaster retracking? Part three: are Mantis and Rougarou different credits?)

And so on.

To me, I'm not sure there's an objective definition for a credit. Someone here once suggested that they decide whether or not something is a credit only after they ride it, and they just go with gut feeling afterwords. That seems easiest to me.

• Like 2

I think the only duel tracked coasters I'd consider as 2 credits would be things like Dragon Challenge or Battlestar Galactica where the 2 sides are noticeably different.

Most racing coasters fall into 2 categories- mirror layouts like on Racer and Rebel Yell, or ones that stick together the whole time like Gemini and pre-RMC Colossus.  Coasters like Lightning Racer, Gwazi, Monstre and Stampida have some differences, but they have such similar elements that the differences are minuscule.  Mobius racing coasters like Kennywood's Racer would absolutely be 1 credit IMO. 

If you ride only the Blue Racer once and never experience the red train, do you really miss out on that side. In my opinion The Racer is one credit only because it's the same coaster just with two sides. Both do the same and are identical. Either way if you ride either color train, you've ridden The Racer regardless.

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I always considered renames a credit. For example, Chang from KK is one credit and Green Lantern at Great Adventure is it's own credit. In my opinion, any change to the ride experience like a different name, new trains, or even track modifications make the coaster a new credit. Therefore, I consider Rougaroo a new credit. 

So next weekend Top Thrill Cubster is a new credit and then when it changes back to TTD it is yet another new credit?  

• Like 4

I do not count racing coasters (2 coasters with an identical layout or a mirrored layout) as 2 credits.  I do count dueling coasters where both tracks are supposed to be unique as 2.  The same would go for Pimeval Whirl or Space Mountain where there are 2 tracks but they are only there to increase capacity.  So I also would not count rides like that as 2 credits.

A ride like The Racer at Kennywood is a mobius loop and therefore is only 1 track.  The left and right side cannot operate independantly and therefore would be 1 credit.

Twited Colossus only has 1 track so again could not be 2 credits.

Most use rcdb to determine if a coaster counts and how many credits there are.  Rcdb does not count rides like larson loopers or rides like Surf Dog but often times the parks do.

2 hours ago, MaestroJr said:

If you ride only the Blue Racer once and never experience the red train, do you really miss out on that side. In my opinion The Racer is one credit only because it's the same coaster just with two sides. Both do the same and are identical. Either way if you ride either color train, you've ridden The Racer regardless.

So when KI tears out the red side for park expansion and keeps the blue side, does The Racer then become 0.5 credit?

So if a ride at different parks is identical, that only counts as 1 total credit?  So Flight of Fear is only 1 coaster credit for someone that has rode every clone of it?

So if the red side was on one side of Coney Mall and the blue side was on the other side of Coney Mall and they raced via a timer display you would see when entering the station, that would be one credit?

Does a ride changing restraints count as more than one credit.  The Beast restraints have changed over the years - one credit or multiple?

• Like 1

I hope some of you realize that this kind of topic is 100% opinion, right?  There is no set standard in how to count credits, not RCDB, not TPR, not any of the design firms, nothing.  Its a kind of thing up to interpretation.  

If you count credits, great.

If you don't count credits, great. 

If you decide a racing coaster is 2 credits, great. 

If you rank or don't rank coasters, great. 

Just be you and enjoy the hobby how you want.  No one is telling you otherwise. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

So is Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom a new credit this year?  New train some retracking done.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

So when KI tears out the red side for park expansion and keeps the blue side, does The Racer then become 0.5 credit?

So if a ride at different parks is identical, that only counts as 1 total credit?  So Flight of Fear is only 1 coaster credit for someone that has rode every clone of it?

So if the red side was on one side of Coney Mall and the blue side was on the other side of Coney Mall and they raced via a timer display you would see when entering the station, that would be one credit?

Does a ride changing restraints count as more than one credit.  The Beast restraints have changed over the years - one credit or multiple?

No I mean at the same park, to me if you ride Flight of Fear at Kings Island and Kings Dominion it is 2 ride credits because they are at different parks, but The Racer is at Kings Island and it mirrors itself, so if I counted it, to me it's 1 but I don't keep credits so that's just my opinion. I don't consider new restraints as new credits unless the actual track is changed, I don't claim to be right or wrong its just my personal opinion. :) MaestroJr 

The following is all my opinion. Please do not take any of this as irrefutable fact. You are free to come up with your own criteria.
I'm pretty strict when it comes to what counts as a credit and what doesn't. Renames and new paint DEFINITELY do not for me.

Relocations I'm not sure about, as I've never ridden a relocated coaster in more than one location. I'd say I count them as two though. If Flight of Fear at KD and KI are two different coasters, then I see no reason why X-Flight at Geauga Lake and Firehawk at Kings Island shouldn't be.

I also consider Mantis and Rougarou to be one credit. I don't think the ride experience changed any more than Turn of the Century's conversion to The Demon or Son of Beast when the loop was removed and both of those examples are almost universally accepted as one credit.

Devil's Den and Haunted House at Camden are DEFINITELY credits. It runs on a track, is powered up an initial lift with a chain and then is brought back to the starting point solely by gravity. Just because the parks don't advertise them as coasters doesn't mean they aren't, just as Larson Loops are NOT coasters and RMCs are NOT wooden, no matter what the parks' marketing departments claim.

Powered coasters are not credits, because they are not coasters, because they do not coast.

I consider racing coasters as one credit unless there are significant differences between the sides. Dueling coasters I always consider to be two. Example: Racer (KI), Gemini, Rebel Yell, and Racer (Kennywood) are one credit. Dragon Challenge and Twisted Twins are two. American Eagle (SFGAm) required much mental deliberation, but I think it's two. The forces in the helix are VERY different between the two sides and the entire last half of the cycle is totally different.

• Like 1

I let Coaster-Count.com decide for me how credits are counted, but even then there are some issues. They count racing, non mobius, coasters as separate credits, relocated coasters as 1 credit (like Chang/Green Lantern), but it does keep track of the different locations you've ridden each coaster. SLCs, Boomerangs, Batman inverts and other clones are counted separately. They also have what is called a strict count and another category considered a personal count. The personal count allows you, by using the site settings, to include Water, Powered, Alpine and other coasters you choose to count that don't exactly meet the criteria of a "regular" coaster (I have 2 powered, 1 water and 1 undefined coaster to give me 4 more credits to my personal count). I just now checked the site and they now have a category called even more, I have no idea what that includes, but it gives me 2 additional credits. I don't usually count "kiddie" coasters as credits, even though the website does, unless it's a coaster I rode when I was actually a child. I don't normally look to pad my count by riding coasters that have a lift hill height of 20 feet or less. Like several others have commented, it's all personal preference, count however you or in my case how an enthusiast site tells you. I was excited to break 100, 200 and 300 credits, but no one gave me an award or a prize for doing it.

The only reason someone's count would matter to me is simply because it allows me know their "experience" level. If someone tells me Mystic Timbers is great and they've only been to 5 amusement parks and been on less than 50 coasters, I wouldn't take their opinion quite as serious as I would someone with 200 credits that has been to 30 different parks. Now is that logic flawless? NOPE!!!! Everyone has different things they like or dislike about a coaster. I've been to 55 parks and have 313 strict credits (by coaster count standards) but that doesn't mean I like all the same coasters as someone with similar stats to mine. For example I don't think Voyage at Holiday World or I-305 at Kings Dominion are great rides, they are more painful than enjoyable to me personally. I think most enthusiasts and maybe even the general public would disagree with my opinion. Generally though I would agree with most of the picks that I see on popular top 10/25 roller coaster rankings.

• Like 1

I believe the park officially considers Racer as 1 credit. From what I've gathered they consider a ride a credit or not by what the manufacture considers it.

From a conversation with Don, John Allen considered Racer as 1 credit. So the park does. Surf Dog is considered a credit as Zamperla considers it a credit.