Coaster Restraints / Rider Fit

awoody

I'm 6'4" and 260. 50" chest and 38" waist. I fit in the Diamondback test seat. I've heard that the DB test seat is the standard for fitting in other roller coaster / thrill ride throughout the park.

Any suggestions for specific rows on certain rides or other rides that might be a tight fit? 

• Like 1

I would disagree with the sentiment that Diamondback test seat is the standard, I would dare say Diamondback is one of the more restrictive rides in the park actually. With the given dimensions, I would think that most rides would be doable for you. I had fairly similar dimensions a couple years ago, and was able to ride everything. You are 2 inches taller than I am, so maybe something like Invertigo or Banshee could be tough, and potentially beast/racer if you have longer legs. But my guess is that if you were able to fit Diamondbacks seat, you should be pretty close to being able to fitting on everything. 

(I have yet to be to the park this season, so I'm not sure about mystic Timbers)

• Like 4

Invertigo and Banshee should be easy. I'm 6'6" with long legs and about 250. I can fit on most anything in the park, that doesn't have a height restriction.

The secret for a lot of that stuff, especially coasters is to either put your legs under the bar as you sit down, or cross your legs when sitting down. It's also helpful to sit in the front row of cars in coaster trains. These usually have a little more legroom than the other rows. If it's something like Vortex or The Bat, then it's a lot more legroom.

Hope this helps. It's how I've figured out how to stay comfy and enjoy the rides at KI.

• Like 4

Not that it may apply, but it might. If you have little kids, not everyone can fit on the Kite Eating Tree. My daughter HAS to have an adult with her, but I am too big at 6'2" 220. My torso is too big for the should restraint to click on the first lock so the ride won't operate.

• Like 1

Oh - Kite Eating Tree wasn't even close. The OTSR hit my collar bones and stopped cold a good 3" from the buckle. LOL. My daughter was a trooper and rode it by herself. 

I've had other tell me Drop Tower and WindSeeker might be tough. 

Thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate it. Trying to avoid a long wait and a walk of shame. I love thrill rides and this is my first time having a season pass in over a decade, so my knowledge of the park is dated.

6 hours ago, awoody said:

Oh - Kite Eating Tree wasn't even close. The OSTR hit my collar bones and stopped cold a good 3" from the buckle. LOL. My daughter was a trooper and rode it by herself. 

I've had other tell me Drop Tower and WindSeeker might be tough. 

Thanks for the insight everyone. I appreciate it. Trying to avoid a long wait and a walk of shame. I love thrill rides and this is my first time having a season pass in over a decade, so my knowledge of the park is dated.

Just FYI, for rides that don't have test seats, you can walk up the exit and ask to see if you can fit in the restraints before you wait all the way through line! Has saved me lots of waiting and embarrassment 

• Like 4

As a suggestion, if you're going to ride Banshee test out the seat to be sure! If we can fit you into the Red belt, you will be good for row's 4 and 5. If you can get your self into the black belt, typically (somehow) The farthest seats from the gates have a better chance of getting you fully in, even though all the seats are the same, the outside seats have a bit of a better chance of getting you on. It all depends on who is putting you in as well. Some members of the crew can really get people in, while others have a harder time.

For Banshee, it also depends on your body, if you're more "squishy" as they say, you're more than likely able to get into the black seatbelts. But if you're a bit harder in your stomach region, it might be harder for you to ride. (If you're tall, the vests can be pulled out if you want to hold that for the ride.)

• Like 1

Update - stopped in on the way home from work this afternoon. Light rain + 4:00PM on a Friday = no lines.

Diamondback, Banshee, and Delirium were all good to go. Drop Tower was closed. 

Still need to test Firehawk, Invertigo, Backlot, Mystic Timbers, Beast, Racer, Bat, and Vortex. 

God Gawd, I love thrill rides. I've been missing out the past 10 years.

• Like 1

While we are on the topic, does anyone else really like Banshee's restraint system? Granted I am a dude, so I don't have certain things that may be bothered by it, but it seems like a sturdy, comfy, not-overly-snug fit.

Backlot, Mystic, Beast, Racer are all lapbars. Beast is a snug fit for my knees (and other things), all the others are fine.

I like Banshee's OTSR with vest combo. Snug, but comfortable. Seems to be more forgiving. Or maybe Banshee is just that smooth? (I always remember Vortex for leaving a softball sized bruise on my collarbone.) The vest really holds you in place during the inversions. Then again, if you like catching air, it can be prohibitive.

• Like 1

Bumping from last year - Fit on everything in the park sans Drop Tower. Kids are a bigger this year and tall enough for Flying Ace in Planet Snoopy. Any thoughts or insights on that one being a tight fit or no go for a big boy? (6'4" and 260)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 9:30 AM, awoody said:

Bumping from last year - Fit on everything in the park sans Drop Tower. Kids are a bigger this year and tall enough for Flying Ace in Planet Snoopy. Any thoughts or insights on that one being a tight fit or no go for a big boy? (6'4" and 260)

Answered you in the other thread.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am new to the T bar and "clamshell" restraints. I would like to ride the Diamondback but looks so scary with nothing to hold onto.  Does everybody here feel safe with them?  I tend to feel safer in the ones with a shoulder harness like The Vortex and Drop Tower.  I love The Vortex (I'm only 5ft1in) so I  get banged around a lot, but I learned (especially through the corkscrew) to keep my head and neck firmly to one side, which usually prevents the headaches.

1 hour ago, Daphne Orebaugh said:

I am new to the T bar and "clamshell" restraints. I would like to ride the Diamondback but looks so scary with nothing to hold onto.  Does everybody here feel safe with them?  I tend to feel safer in the ones with a shoulder harness like The Vortex and Drop Tower.  I love The Vortex (I'm only 5ft1in) so I  get banged around a lot, but I learned (especially through the corkscrew) to keep my head and neck firmly to one side, which usually prevents the headaches.

I feel extremely safe with them. Even more so with the seatbelts they added a couple years back. It is different than your normal lap bars, but I think it feels even more secure. The clamshells do have handles on them to hold onto. It's like you're riding a jetski or a bike. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daphne Orebaugh said:

There are 3 different mechanisms keeping you safe on Diamondback.. So you'd have to be really really really super duper unlucky to somehow not be safe because of the restraints. Diamondback is probably the safest coaster in the park aside from The Great Pumpkin Coaster. Diamondback is easily safer than any of the wooden coasters in the park.

4 hours ago, Daphne Orebaugh said:

I've got quite a few laps in on Diamondback. I can confidently tell you that the created feeling of the restraints on that ride is one of "I'm going to fall out of this thing" and that's in part there for the thrill factor. I've actually made full laps on that coaster with my arms in the air and my legs kicked straight out in front of me for the ultimate air time feeling. If you're questioning the ride due to the restraints, I'll warn you now, your first ride is going to feel very scary because the airtime on that coaster is amazing, and you do feel yourself coming out of the seat quite a lot, but once you get used to that feeling, it's an amazing ride. 

• Like 1

Well...

I ended up not riding the Banshee or Diamondback.  I was getting up the courage all day, however after riding Mystic Timbers. I was.in too much pain to try something else new to me.  I am 55 and The Beast and Vortex are just ducky for me.  I am going to try to get in better shape to have some muscle strength and resilience.  I have Fibromyalgia, so I  know it's not wise for me to ride rollercoasters.  But darned if I'm giving up yet!  We had SO much fun!!!  Thete was cloud cover that kept the heat down, a nice breeze and just a sprinkle or two, no real rain at all.  With the weather conditions I have to say it was the nicest weather day we ever had there. I went on the Drop Zone 2 or 3 times.  TOTAL RUSH!!!!  This one never fails to thrill!  My hubby stands in line with me which is so sweet.  He has a deathly fear of heights.  And as usual La Rosa's pizza and breadsticks were fantastic.  We were lucky because where my hubby works, they have a free KI day every June.  Plus wristbands for limitless pop or water, paid parking, paid entrance fee and a small voucher to help with food costs.  We were shocked when we were at La Rosa's - we had a $10 voucher, but the meal still cost over $17, with the voucher.  Normally the cashier said it would be $27 and change without the voucher.  A few times in the past we have gone back to the car to eat food we brought.  But sometimes ya just gotta have La Rosa's pizza!  Oh and their breadsticks are to die for!

For some reason my hubby and I always  called it Momma Rosa's.  Does anyone know if that's what it was once called?  I mean my hubby and I  still refer to the small coaster that was originally named ,"the Scooby Doo".  Any old farts on here like us that remember the original names?  People at the park (especially kids) were probably wondering what the heck we were talking about!  LOL!!!  Anyway, sorry for the long post, but we felt like kids (well almost) last Saturday!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daphne Orebaugh said:

We were shocked when we were at La Rosa's - we had a $10 voucher, but the meal still cost over $17, with the voucher.  Normally the cashier said it would be $27 and change without the voucher.  A few times in the past we have gone back to the car to eat food we brought.  But sometimes ya just gotta have La Rosa's pizza!  Oh and their breadsticks are to die for!

This is why I usually get La Rosa's outside the park. Not only is it better quality, but you can get a whole lot more for a whole lot less. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:19 PM, Daphne Orebaugh said:

For some reason my hubby and I always  called it Momma Rosa's.  Does anyone know if that's what it was once called?  I mean my hubby and I  still refer to the small coaster that was originally named ,"the Scooby Doo".  Any old farts on here like us that remember the original names?  People at the park (especially kids) were probably wondering what the heck we were talking about!  LOL!!!  Anyway, sorry for the long post, but we felt like kids (well almost) last Saturday!

I am not sure that it was ever called Momma Rosa's.  The founder of the chain's name is "Buddy" LaRosa.  From my understanding, it was a much smaller operation in the 70's.  Kings Island brought them in to have a unique food item (parks did not really have pizza at the time), and it took off from there after people at the park enjoyed it so much.

On June 13, 2019 at 10:54 AM, MonteCristo said:

I am not sure that it was ever called Momma Rosa's.  The founder of the chain's name is "Buddy" LaRosa.  From my understanding, it was a much smaller operation in the 70's.  Kings Island brought them in to have a unique food item (parks did not really have pizza at the time), and it took off from there after people at the park enjoyed it so much.

Somewhat related. At an antique store I often visit, one of the booths has a LaRosa's collector's glass with Hanna-Barbera characters on it. Were these at one point offered at the park?