International Park Discussion

I found something where I couldn't really place this nicely, so I decided this would be a good opportunity to try and get an international park thread going (however brief and however many times we'll need to blow the dust off it).

Anyways, a park in Japan known as Fuji-Q Highland has a coaster known as Dodonpa.  It is essentially a perfected design from what KD's defunct Hypersonic XLC achieved- using the compressed air that S&S Power uses in its launch towers on a coaster.  While Hypersonic had a short lifespan, Dodonpa has enjoyed a longer run.  It is among the fastest coasters in the world topping at 106 mph, getting there in under 2 seconds making it the fastest accelerating coaster in the world and (previously) 5th in the speed category.  Here's what the layout used to be like for reference to what is going on with it.

So Fuji-Q decided it needed an update, so they're taking out that 170 ft vertical hill and replacing it with a 160 ft loop.  Furthermore, they're bumping up the speed to 111 mph.  This to me sounds like a bad idea in terms of G-forces unless they put plenty of trims before the loop.  It does look like it'll be a rather long circumference which might help lessen the G-forces, but even 2-3 G's sustained for a while can cause problems.  It does have a bit of track prior to the loop, and though it will not take the loop at 111 mph, it'll still be doing at least 90 mph methinks. 

Photo taken from Reddit.

DkwKsbseTm4SEG0FD3ByaicGwfo6g_5u_oWdna4x

I was kinda sad when I heard they were modifying Dodonpa as it's the only exisiting S&S Thrust Air 2000 coaster in the world. I mean it still is, but at least from a historical standpoint, it's like when Son of Beast had its loop removed.

Also, on that note of International News, Slammer at Thorpe Park is closing and won't reopen (According to Twitter). That's one of the things I wanted to ride if I ever get to go over there, but at least there's still Colossus... Hopefully, it gets moved to a US Park (or even Canada's Wonderland, they have plenty of unique flats!) so I can still ride this unique thrill machine!

^But not only are they adding a loop to it, they're increasing the launch speed.  Other than the G forces that might be a bit on the high side, its a bit of an improvement from a certain point of view.  Rarely do launch coasters get to have their launch speed increase. 

• Like 1

Agreed. But it's just that they changed it from what it was back in the day. But if you think about it, they are still improving it in a unique way as no Thrust Air 2000 ever had a loop, so there's that. I'm warming up to the idea... :)