Strobe Concerns

Handbellguy

Hello Everyone,

You all were a great help to me in answering my questions about Mystic Timbers.  (Looking forward to that one.)  I just finished looking through the 2017 Rider's Guide, and now I have a few more questions for the "experts."  (As I mentioned the last time, for folks at Guest Services are pretty good at what they do, but basically have "by the book" answers.)

The guide mentions the use of strobes on The Beast and Diamondback.  I'm assuming those are Photo strobes.  If this old man's memory serves, the one for The Beast is on the left-hand side at the base of the first drop.  I've ridden Diamondback, but cannot remember where they take your picture.  I'm assuming no photos for Adventure Express, Racer, or Bat, the other coasters I tend to ride.

I noticed they said Eiffel Tower has them at night.  Anyone able to clue me in for that?  The other peculiar one for me is WindSeeker.  The Cedar Point version warns of strobe lights, but the Kings Island version does not.  Anyone able to shed any light (heheh) on that?

Finally, are there any hidden pitfalls in the park I should be aware of?

Thanks again for your help.  

Strobes on both of these are due to height concerns and aircraft. The only time you would likely see them is at night.

Traditionally, aircraft on approach to CVG go North of I-275 on the North side of town, to line up for approach.

• Like 1

I've only noticed that strobes from on-ride photos are most noticeable/prevalent at night. The only one that always gets me (other than being surprised on-ride) is when Great Pumpkin runs at night, just because it's so bright, sudden, and so close to the pathway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Handbellguy said:

The guide mentions the use of strobes on The Beast and Diamondback.  I'm assuming those are Photo strobes.  If this old man's memory serves, the one for The Beast is on the left-hand side at the base of the first drop.  I've ridden Diamondback, but cannot remember where they take your picture.

You are correct that Beast and Diamondback are both just camera flashes. Beast's camera is indeed on the left at the bottom of the first drop. As for Diamondback, the camera is in the middle of the course on the left side, at the lowest point between the trim-braked hill and the MCBR. In the official POV video below, you can see the camera as a white object on a pole next to the fenced area ahead at the 1:19 mark (just to the left of the spiral staircase).

I'm assuming no photos for Adventure Express, Racer, or Bat, the other coasters I tend to ride.

Correct; none of those have on-ride photos.

Finally, are there any hidden pitfalls in the park I should be aware of?

In line with MDMC01's warning about the Great Pumpkin Coaster camera flash, I would also be wary of The Vortex camera flash at night on the midway. When standing near the 3-point challenge game, Vortex's camera is just below the midway at the bottom of the batwing right there. The light bulb itself isn't visible unless you walk up to the fence and look down, but the bright flash is very clearly visible at night.

Similarly, Banshee's camera flash, or actually two camera flashes (one on each side of the train), are near and facing the midway just to the right of the ride's entrance. I don't recall how visible those flashes are at night, but be careful in Action Zone as well.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your help.  I've taken notes, and I think I'll be ready come June.  One ride I did forget to mention, and again, my memory is unclear, is Backlot Stunt Coaster.  I seem to remember an on-ride photo for that, but the current guide doesn't list any strobes.

• Like 1

There is not an onride photo for Backlot. There are a few fire effects (if working properly lol), police car lights (blue, white and red) that are activated as your train approaches/passes the cars, as well as some "gun fire" shots (red dots lighting up randomly on the walls in the "show" scene however they're not very noticeable during the day.

3 hours ago, chugh43 said:

There is not an onride photo for Backlot. There are a few fire effects (if working properly lol), police car lights (blue, white and red) that are activated as your train approaches/passes the cars, as well as some "gun fire" shots (red dots lighting up randomly on the walls in the "show" scene however they're not very noticeable during the day.

I've always had the fire working whenever I rode...I always appreciated the warmth during haunt. 

• Like 1