Kings island losing power often

Mystic.Timbers

I've been going to KI a lot the past few days and twice it's lost power to major rides for example Banshee and Drop Tower tonight. They don't last long but it's a major inconvenience and very strange. I'm wondering what could be causing it, do any of you have any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Mystic.Timbers said:

I've been going to KI a lot the past few days and twice it's lost power to major rides for example Banshee and Drop Tower tonight. They don't last long but it's a major inconvenience and very strange. I'm wondering what could be causing it, do any of you have any ideas

It's a complicated situation. The park is generating it's own power, but I believe some power is used from the Mason utility lines. The park is not losing power, rather, all the events are happening outside the park property. That being said, when a power event occurs, it is important to shut down the park power so that the grid doesn't overcompensate for the lost power and blow a fuse. If one wants to look at a situation like this happening in big scale, look at the 64 blackout that took out power entirely in 7 states.

• Like 2

Tonight's quick outage was caused from outside the park. It was literally like someone flipped a switch, off then right back on. It is a pain for guests, but I can say however, that it seemed like all employees handled it pretty well. It appeared that all backup systems kicked into place as intended.

• Like 2

Tonight's quick outage was caused from outside the park. My parents said the power even went out at our house. It was literally like someone flipped a switch, off then right back on. It is a pain for guests, but I can say however, that it seemed like all employees handled it pretty well. It appeared that all backup systems kicked into place as intended.

That's what I'm hearing, maybe you live closer to KI then I am

1 hour ago, Mystic.Timbers said:

I've been going to KI a lot the past few days and twice it's lost power to major rides for example Banshee and Drop Tower tonight. They don't last long but it's a major inconvenience and very strange. I'm wondering what could be causing it, do any of you have any idea

My guess is whatever happened at the Miami Valley Lumber Co-the entity that caused it to be suddenly vacated-is upset with all the crowds and is carrying out a plot to cause the crowds to vacate KI.  ;)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

It's a complicated situation. The park is generating it's own power, but I believe some power is used from the Mason utility lines. The park is not losing power, rather, all the events are happening outside the park property. That being said, when a power event occurs, it is important to shut down the park power so that the grid doesn't overcompensate for the lost power and blow a fuse. If one wants to look at a situation like this happening in big scale, look at the 64 blackout that took out power entirely in 7 states.

Kings Island is not generating their own power on a normal basis.  Yes, they do have some generators for emergency situations when they do loose power, but as a general rule, they are relying on Duke power lines to provide the power.  Power outages can occur for various reasons.  In fact, the power at the office flashed off three times today for about a second each time.  

I was working at Coney several years back when we lost power in the park on a busy Sunday.  Most all the rides experienced the outage, with the exception of Dodgems which kept on going, until the decision was made to close the park for the day (the outage occurred around 7pm and we were scheduled to close at 9pm).

When I was at the park yesterday evening, the first sign I had of there being a power problem again was in the arcade. I walked in to check the Wizard of Oz coin pushers, and the people who had been playing them were standing around powered-down machines looking a little panicked. The guy from Elaut (the company that makes and services the machines) was reassuring that the machines should still show the credits that were on them when they were powered back on, and that he would make sure they were all taken care of properly. He said that "power surges, like we just experienced, are really bad for the machines so we had to turn everything off for now to protect it." He said it in such a way that it sounded like the surges must have caused effects that would have been obvious to the people there at the time (I'm assuming the lights in the room flashed on and off like nhimes90 mentioned).

I really hope this is something the power company can get under control. Things are only going to get worse when summer comes on full force and all their customers are pulling power for their air conditioners. 

• Like 3

They generate more power into the Summer to compensate for everyone running their AC.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was local to the park, or caused by nearby construction, like the ongoing work at Western Row as that involved utility moving.

They have to fry all the critters that accumulated in KIs electrical systems during the off season!

• Like 1

I had my son take a sick day from a school today ( mom of the year right here ) Things were great rode a ton of rides then around 2pm we were in line waiting to ride Flight of Fear and the lights went out and back on. We waiting in line for awhile but then gave up. Planned on riding something else but almost all the rides were out of power, including both Funnel Cake places!!! Glad we had season passes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol44 said:

This apparently happened again today, at around 2PM. Becoming quite the issue for KI and Duke. Hope they can figure it out soon.

I'm wondering if the recent work done on Western Row Road is the culprit behind these issues.

• Like 1