AM I INSANE?!?

KIBeast

This is probably a rhetorical question, but how crazy am I for going to KI on Memorial Day Weekend? I had originally planned on going the weekend of May 20th, but my son's last soccer game is that Saturday. Anyhoo, I pushed our trip back by a week, not realizing the holiday weekend. I figure we will see a good crowd that weekend, but I am also positive we will still have a great time. We are staying the night at the Super 8 Mason, which was really nice last year. Not real expensive and a short drive. Great rooms and service as well. Has anyone been on this particular weekend in years past and how was it? Does KI do anything special on the Memorial Day weekend? We will be there that Saturday and Sunday, not Monday. Thanks for any responses and help or tips you would care to share

Without even reading your post...my initial response is yes.

Nothing specifically planned, other than Military members are able to get in free, Soak City opens on the 27th, and Food Truck Friday on the 26th. 

This weekend also marks the first 10a-10pm operating schedule throughout the week.

• Like 1

Conversely, if shows are your thing, you're in luck--Off the Charts, Peanuts Party in the Plaza, and (for me, most importantly) Origins all start that weekend.

In my experience, most seasonal parks tend to run the same way over Memorial Day weekend--Friday will be light to moderate, Saturday will be slammed, Sunday will be busy but less than Saturday, and Monday will be moderate. I don't foresee food lines being short, but a fun day is still very possible.

So, to answer your original question: you're not insane, but people do tend to look at you funny from time to time. :P

• Like 4

By my own admission, I am a bit crazy haha. I am sure that we are going to have a great time not matter what. I just may have to check out a show. I figured Sunday would be less busy than Saturday. This will be my first trip with my girlfriend and my son. The first of three vacations together. We also have Myrtle Beach and Cedar Point ahead of us as well. I am looking forward to Mystic Timbers and some new on-ride photos. I guess one of us will have to ride alone, since there's three of us and we'll want to ride in the same coaster car or next row of next car. I am sure it will be hot as blazes, so plenty of sunblock and water will be the order of the day. It will be interesting as I have never been on any holiday weekend. 

So, I just purchased a Fast Lane Plus pass for that Saturday only. I figured it will really help with the long lines for Saturday. Sunday wouldn't make sense since the crowd will be lighter and we are not staying all day anyway as we have a 3 hour car ride back home. Also purchased preferred parking for both days. I have done that in the past and could not tell you how much the extra money for the preferred parking is so worth it. 

YOULLBEBACK, thanks for the compliment on the signature. I was on a forum getting advice as I was going through a divorce and was going for primary custody of our son. It helped being able to talk to other guys going through or having been through similar situations. In a discussion, I stated that very phrase. Someone suggested that I use it as my sig and I decided to use it here as well. 

Certainly continue to monitor it, but currently the Mason, OH forecast for next weekend is lows in the upper 50's and highs around 75. Cloudy and intermittent showers possible. The cooler temps will probably have fewer people heading over to the waterpark, but if it also rains it could keep some of the crowd away. If you are staying until close on Saturday, wait out a late afternoon/early evening rain. After it passes, you will likely get a ton of walk-on rides. 

• Like 1