A few photos from 1990

Kenban

These are not my photos, they are scans of slides from a relative, they lived in the Cleveland area so I have a ton of photos of old Geauga Lake and Sea World Ohio which I was thinking of posting.  From what I was able to figure out these have to be from the fall of 1990.  This is because you can see the ferris wheel and flying dutchman rides are still in Oktoberfest which were removed at the end of 1990 plus you can see Flight Commander operating which was added at the start of 1990.  I do not believe they made very many trips to Kings Island so I am not certain at this time if these will be the only photos of the park.

King's Island 37 10_90.jpgKing's Island 35 10_90.jpgKing's Island 36 10_90.jpgKing's Island 33 10_90.jpgKing's Island 32 10_90.jpgKing's Island 31 10_90.jpg

• Like 20

These are not my photos, they are scans of slides from a relative, they lived in the Cleveland area so I have a ton of photos of old Geauga Lake and Sea World Ohio which I was thinking of posting.  From what I was able to figure out these have to be from the fall of 1990.  This is because you can see the ferris wheel and flying dutchman rides are still in Oktoberfest which were removed at the end of 1990 plus you can see Flight Commander operating which was added at the start of 1990.  I do not believe they made very many trips to Kings Island so I am not certain at this time if these will be the only photos of the park.
59230314ef942_KingsIsland3710_90.thumb.jpg.bde1dec2cabbac0cd7bfda187ec3dbea.jpg5923031835b18_KingsIsland3510_90.thumb.jpg.de21858d3d32373ba3d6ad64358bd1ee.jpg5923031b280ea_KingsIsland3610_90.thumb.jpg.0febdbf029df87c266b99499e7a2444a.jpg5923031dc614f_KingsIsland3310_90.thumb.jpg.04ed21b9a221cfc42afbf2049361c1f9.jpg592303211f7c9_KingsIsland3210_90.thumb.jpg.7a4386887fbae42321341566fa58cea9.jpg5923032472595_KingsIsland3110_90.thumb.jpg.ace64ded8682be6d171d52d170170310.jpg

Photos are locked. Replying hoping they'll show.
  • Like 3

So it turns out I was totally wrong.  I have more from Kings Island...  These are not all from the same trip or even the same year.  You will notice Flight Commander is missing.  The actual files have a year on them if anyone is interested.  A couple are almost duplicates but I figured I would just post them all.

King's Island 1 7_87.jpgKing's Island 2 7_87.jpgKing's Island 3 7_87.jpgKing's Island 4 7_87.jpgKing's Island 5 7_87.jpgKing's Island 6 6_87.jpgKing's Island 7 6_87.jpgKing's Island 8 6_87.jpgKing's Island 9 7_87.jpgKing's Island 11 6_87.jpgKing's Island 12 6_87.jpgKing's Island 13 6_87.jpgKing's Island 14 7_87.jpgKing's Island 15 6_87.jpgKing's Island 16 6_87.jpgKing's Island 17 6_87.jpgKing's Island 18 6_87.jpgKing's Island 19 7_87.jpgKing's Island 20 6_87.jpgKing's Island 21 6_87.jpgKing's Island 22 10_90.jpgKing's Island 23 10_90.jpgKing's Island 24 6_87.jpgKing's Island 25 6_87.jpgKing's Island 26 10_90.jpgKing's Island 27 10_90.jpgKing's Island 28 10_90.jpgKing's Island 29 10_90.jpgKing's Island 30 10_90.jpg

• Like 14

Love these! What's funny, my wife and I were just talking about the Sippers yesterday and then look, there's a picture of the Sippers cart!  I love seeing pics from this era of the park, they bring back such good memories.  Thanks for sharing!

• 2 years later...

On 5/23/2017 at 10:52 AM, Kenban said:

So it turns out I was totally wrong.  I have more from Kings Island...  These are not all from the same trip or even the same year.  You will notice Flight Commander is missing.  The actual files have a year on them if anyone is interested.  A couple are almost duplicates but I figured I would just post them all.

Thanks for sharing these - great pics.  

If I may - these indeed look to be a mix of photos from different years.  The years of these pictures are 1987 - 1990. 

The indicators are:  Vortex, Screamin Demon, The Ferris Wheel, Amazon Falls and Flight Commander. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, BlondyRidesOn said:

Nice collection. I was surprised when I saw that the International Street Skyline location in the Swiss building had always been a Skyline at some point. In fact, it was the Alpine Deli, but they sold Skyline before Allstar Café, Mandarin Cuisine and Border Café showed up.

I believe, if memory serves me correctly, the "Alpine Deli" began serving Skyline in 1990.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

If I may - these indeed look to be a mix of photos from different years.  The years of these pictures are 1987 - 1990. 

The indicators are:  Vortex, Screamin Demon, The Ferris Wheel, Amazon Falls and Flight Commander. 

I was combing each photo for details, trying to narrow down the date range for each of them... and then realized @Kenban had said "The actual files have a year on them if anyone is interested" :lol: You're correct on the date range - all the photos are either 1987 or 1990 (each filename has a KingsIsland###_87 or KingsIsland###_90).

King's Island 21 6_87.jpg

Directly above Vortex's station... anyone know what the track is from? Perhaps the whole transfer table hadn't been installed yet and the pieces are from there?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Directly above Vortex's station... anyone know what the track is from? Perhaps the whole transfer table hadn't been installed yet and the pieces are from there?

I believe it to be storage track that had not been installed.  The fact that the track is painted to match the coaster would indicate that - but the giveaway is the fact that in the other '87 Vortex picture the "s-curved" track pieces are not jetting out of the storage bays. 

image.png

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I believe it to be storage track that had not been installed.  The fact that the track is painted to match the coaster would indicate that - but the giveaway is the fact that in the other '87 Vortex picture the "s-curved" track pieces are not jetting out of the storage bays. 

Ah good catch, I didn't notice one of the two s-curve pieces was missing in the 1987 photo.

It seems that the ride may have been limited to two train operation until the second s-curve piece was installed. I wonder how early in the season the photos were taken, and how late in the season the second s-curve (and therefore third train) was installed.

@Kenban, do you by chance have dates associated with the photos? Or just the 1987 and 1990 years?

• Like 1

What great photos! Thanks for posting those! Sure does bring back a ton of memories of what the park used to be like. I love the park regardless and know how so much changes, but I do miss all those trees in the center of the park and walking back toward The Beast. it's amazing how much has changed over all these years! Sure miss a few of those rides that used to be. King Cobra, Screamin' Demon and especially the old Eagles. 

Just now, Rivertown Rider said:

^ I had always heard because they wanted to make Drop Zone/Drop Tower the tallest structure.

I've heard that claim a lot too (and used to believe it), but recently learned the antenna was actually removed between 1993-1994... which pretty much debunks the "Drop Zone tallest thing in park" rumor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

@Kenban, do you by chance have dates associated with the photos? Or just the 1987 and 1990 years?

In short, no, I posted these photos 3 years ago.  The thread got bumped, and I am happy that this is giving people a second chance to see the photos, but doubt I have the original slides any longer.  I do not believe they were ever marked with more information then the location and the year.  At this point even if they were sadly I would have no access to that information any longer.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kenban said:

In short, no, I posted these photos 3 years ago.  The thread got bumped, and I am happy that this is giving people a second chance to see the photos, but doubt I have the original slides any longer.  I do not believe they were ever marked with more information then the location and the year.  At this point even if they were sadly I would have no access to that information any longer.

Ah darn; worth a shot. Thank you again for scanning and sharing them though! I'm glad this topic got bumped so they could be seen again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Ah darn; worth a shot. Thank you again for scanning and sharing them though! I'm glad this topic got bumped so they could be seen again.

Scratch that, I was totally wrong.  I do know the month, and they are already all labeled.  The issue is its in the filename I uploaded them with.

You can click through to the original photo, or at least on my browser it displays the filename in the lower left corner of the screen when I mouse over it.  If you do this on the photo with The Racer turn around, and a portion of The Vortex station, and The Vortex lift, you should see somewhere in the address KingIsland216_87.jpg, the picture before it of the Eiffel Tower contains KingsIsland206_87.jpg and afterwards is KingsIsland2210_90.jpg.

Basically it is XXMM_YY.jpg, the X is the picture number just an automated item from the scanning, the MM is the month and might be only a single digit like the 216_87 and the 206_87 examples above, in those cases they should be from June of 1987, while the 2210_90 is from October of 1990, looking at the photos from October I can see trees changing color so good chance the month is accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1