Kings Island 5/6/17

KatieF

I'm super late on this trip report--

But anyways, on 5/6, we decided the best way to celebrate the Kentucky Derby was go to Kings Island! We got there around 11 or 12 and had to go catch a few rides in Planet Snoopy first. Truthfully, I always start in Planet Snoopy because I'm a big chicken and have to get warmed up. Luckily the rest of my group feels the same way! I was a little bummed that Surf Dog was down this day, because truthfully that's one of my favorite rides in the park. It's simple and pretty fun for all ages. I did get to catch a ride on Aerial Aces (I can't ever remember the full name of this coaster...it's the yellow one!) which is always a little taller than I remember, but fun. I remember that day was a really slow moving queue, which is probably better than getting rushed on-- but it was just kind of slow. Positive note: Boo Blasters was in the best working order than I've ever seen. Nearly every target worked, all of the animatronics worked, sound effects were perfect-- other than the line being so long. My boyfriend and I rode in one car, and my friend and his boyfriend were right behind us. Somehow several cars were left empty between us-- but the line was insanely long. I'm not sure why but it seemed like a waste.

What I was most excited about was riding Mystic Timbers again. We headed there next and I was super tickled that the line was fairly short and moving quickly. They kept announcing that they were trying to hit a capacity record for the day, and I hope they hit their goal. That ride really is fabulous. Sometimes it's so fast feeling that I can't take in some of the scenery, but I also wouldn't change that. My boyfriend and my friends were kind of iffy about the Shed, but I kept saying-- what did you expect, honestly? Even if they had a guy in there with a chainsaw-- how would that work with kids coming through and the amount of trains rolling through as well? I'm still so pleased with this coaster.

We headed to The Beast next, and I hope the queue line gets some TLC in a future season. The ride itself is wonderful, and after seeing where Magenta Lizard's hand touched the tunnel-- I've never been able to keep my hands up again in that last helix. I also got a nasty bruise from The Beast this time where my arm fat got pinched in the seat. I went around the rest of the day saying the blue line on my arm was the mark of The Beast. I thought I was funny, haha. This ride is always so important to me! It was my first big roller coaster, so it's one I always have to hit.

I don't really do upside down coasters so I don't ride Vortex, but my friends and boyfriend said this was the best ride they've ever had on it. Whatever they did to the track is perfect! My b/f said it was much smoother and enjoyable than in the past!  We spent a lot of time around Planet Snoopy this day, which was a great place to relax. It was fairly quiet, cool, and they have some great concession stands! My boyfriend and I got a burrito and some chips and queso from Hanks. It was absolutely delicious and worth the money, but my goodness is the wait time slow and fairly confusing. I couldn't tell where or how to purchase a drink and the actual line of workers seemed kind of disjointed. I highly recommend everyone ride the train just to see some of the views of Mystic Timbers. That first hill is beautiful! 

There was a giant choir festival or something there that day, and there was about 10,000 (or at least what it felt like) middle schoolers everywhere. Overall everyone was incredibly well behaved, but some of these twerps annoyed me to tears or worried me. Trying to touch the sides of The Beast track, spitting candy out and throwing it while in line for Adventure Express, recording rides after ride ops have repeatedly asked them to put the phone up.... I know I need to be a nice adult and be understanding that they're on a field trip but some of them made it very hard.

This was the first trip where I got fairly close to Flight of Fear. As a teenager,  I had a really bad experience with my sister in this line and it's been bugging me that I love roller coasters but am afraid to ride this stupid thing. I used to be afraid of going upside down, but now I'm just afraid of getting on it. I think I would be fine if I could just hop on and not have to wait and anticipate, but it nearly brings me to tears. Is there any other chickens in this group? I'm afraid I'll get disoriented and sick on Flight of Fear like I did on Vortex 10 years ago. Is this ride rough? I feel like if I can get past this hurdle, I can move on to Banshee and Diamondback and some of the others I've been too afraid of. I know FoF takes off like Backlot Stunt Coaster, which I enjoy although sometimes it hurts my neck. Help! 

Anyways, overall it was a great day to be at Kings Island! I wish they'd strap me onto The Beast or Mystic Timbers and let me stay on all day! The Racer was also an incredibly great ride this time. It gave me some of the best airtime in the park! 

18268407_10212386127666405_2455461378868152737_n.jpg

18275172_10212386130346472_5470649485301982849_n.jpg

18300946_10212386132106516_4136327362144252135_n.jpg

18301332_10212386126946387_2427807771717049640_n.jpg

18301737_10212382797783160_8054857381549425181_n.jpg

18301795_10212386128226419_7254753268897239214_n.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet, I was there that same day. Looks like you had a real good time. I'd agree with your boyfriend and friends about Vortex. I rode it around 3 in the afternoon and it felt really good. It's been years since I last rode it but it didn't feel too rough for me.

As for Flight of Fear, I love that ride. But I must confess when I rode it last Friday it seemed more rough then I remembered. That could have just been from having not rode it in many years though. But I still enjoyed it.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, DMann1979 said:

Sweet, I was there that same day. Looks like you had a real good time. I'd agree with your boyfriend and friends about Vortex. I rode it around 3 in the afternoon and it felt really good. It's been years since I last rode it but it didn't feel too rough for me.

As for Flight of Fear, I love that ride. But I must confess when I rode it last Friday it seemed more rough then I remembered. That could have just been from having not rode it in many years though. But I still enjoyed it.

Is it disorienting? I think I have this fear that I will get sick. When I rode Vortex 10 years ago or however long it's been, I remember the corkscrews made me feel dizzy and kind of nauseous. I think that is stuck in my brain!

On May 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM, KatieF said:

Is it disorienting? I think I have this fear that I will get sick. When I rode Vortex 10 years ago or however long it's been, I remember the corkscrews made me feel dizzy and kind of nauseous. I think that is stuck in my brain!

It can be. You're in the dark, twisting around a lot and I forget how many inversions it has.

• Like 1