What can I ride at Kings Island?

summercrab

We are planning a trip to Kings Island next week.  It's been awhile since I've been and I have put on a lot of weight and I'm afraid I won't be able to ride much.  I am 5'7" and 260 with a 44 inch waist.  Please no negative comments, I am working on it and I have lost 20 since January.  I would appreciate anyone knowledge and advice.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Welcome to KIC! Negative comments about someone is not allowed here so don't worry about that. In fact, this question comes up very often here. This really depends on the ride and body proportion. (where you carry your weight) I was at 250 at 5' 10" for a while and had no issues except for Drop Tower and few kiddie rides with my daughter. Most of my weight was at my belly. There are test seats on DB and Banshee. Banshee has the roomier restrains on row 4 and 5 I believe. Good luck!

• Like 2

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! 

How anyone fits into restraints (or doesn't) depends a lot on that particular restraint and how the person carries their weight. Many rides have a test seat, and ones that don't, you can go up the exit and ask to test before you wait in line. 

If you do happen to try a ride and aren't able to, don't take it personally! It isn't an assessment of your character, and nobody else is really paying that much attention (although I imagine it can feel like you're on display with everyone judging, they really aren't).

• Like 1

I'm 6'4" and 260. 52" chest and 38-40" waist.  Broad chest and shoulders. Solid up top. Softer in the mid-section.

I'll give you a run down of my experiences on ever ride I've hit this year. 

- Banshee: Test seat. Fit just fine. OTSR is a little snug in the shoulders. If you want a little more room, hit row 4-5. They have a red belt that is an 1" longer to give you some wiggle room. 

- Diamondback: Test seat. Fit. Clamshell can be tight if you have muscular or thick quads. Scoot as far back into the seat and melt down into the bucket of the seat to give as much room, cross your ankles to bring your legs down when you get situated, then pull clamshell down. My favorite ride in the park.

- Delirium: Test seat. Roomie even with big shoulders. Be careful not to pull OTSR down too far. Did that last week and it made for an uncomfortable ride.

- Mystic Timbers: Fit. Cross ankles and angle knees toward center of car. Pull lap bar down snuggly to hit first click. Then apply pressure to the corner of lap bar for the second click. Super smooth.

- The Bat: Fit. Most roomie coaster in the park, IMHO. have extra room in shoulders. Nowhere near touching my stomach.

- Adventure Express: Fit. Watch your knees and hips. Beat my lower body to death. Cross ankles and angle knees inward. Snug lap bar.

- The Beast: Fit. Watch your knees and hips. Beat my lower body to death. Cross ankles and angle knees inward. Snug lap bar.

- The Racer: Fit. Watch your knees and hips. Beat my lower body to death. Cross ankles and angle knees inward. Snug lap bar.

- Vortex: Fit. Tight on shoulders. Room in the chest. Tons of extra space in the stomach. Head bangs in between the OTSR.

- Scrambler: Fit. Tighter on the stomach. Bar hits about 2" above belly button.

- Shake Rattle & Roll: No issues. Pretty roomie.

- The Monster: Little tight. Bar hits above the stomach. Should be easy.

- Invertigo: Fit. Tight on the shoulders. Snug in stomach. Knocks your head around a bit in the OTSR.

- Drop Tower: No fit. Not even close. With the OTSR smashed down into my collarbones, the buckle was a good 3" from connecting. Didn't even bother trying to have the operator help.

- Planet Snoopy: Fit into everything except Kite-Eating Tree. Daughter isn't big enough for Flying Ace, so not sure on that one.

- Flight of Fear: Tight on the knees. Lap bar is snug, but fit just fine.

- Backlot: Same as FoF. Snug, but not issues.

- WindSeeker: Tight on upper legs. Give it a push for the second click. Should be fine so long as you don't have a massive spare tire.

Hope this helps out a bit. As others mentioned, if you aren't sure if you will fit, go to the exit of the ride and ask to do a test fit in between runs. Most operators are more than accommodating and will try to help you out. Good luck and enjoy your visit! 

• Like 1

From another thread with a similar theme

https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32850-coaster-restraints-rider-fit/

On 5/2/2017 at 10:06 PM, Coca-ColaParking said:

Just FYI, for rides that don't have test seats, you can walk up the exit and ask to see if you can fit in the restraints before you wait all the way through line! Has saved me lots of waiting and embarrassment 

On a side note, I am guessing that OSTR is the restraint, but I am reading it as "Over-The-Shoulder-Restraint", shouldn't it be OTSR, not OSTR?

• Like 2

I'd say Drop Tower is the most restrictive ride in the park. Windweeker can be a very tight fit if you have large thighs as that is where the lap bar will rest. It was the only ride my mom had a lot of trouble with when she last went. As a woddy mentioned Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster have some restrive lap bars in them and can give trouble.

The roomiest coasters seem to be The Bat, Adventure Express, and Vortex. One of my best friends is alrger as well and she has no toruble with them. Can get on most of the woodies with a little help too.

But again as has been said a lot depend on how you carry your weight. As mentioned try out any tests seats they have and if unsure or a long line ask to try out a seat before waiting in line if you want.

• Like 1

my hubby is 5'7" about 250 and the only thing he cant ride is drop zone.  no issues on any of the coasters.  i could see some females with large chests possibly having a few issues with some of the over the shoulder restraints.  im not gifted in that area so i have no problems lol

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Bumping this topic from last year. My daughter is now tall enough for Surf Dog and Flying Ace in Planet Snoopy. Again - good sized guy - 6'4" and 260. Fit into Surf Dog just fine.

How accommodating is Flying Ace for big boys? Big broad shoulders/chest don't always agree with kiddie rides. Especially with OTSRs.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, awoody said:

Bumping this topic from last year. My daughter is now tall enough for Surf Dog and Flying Ace in Planet Snoopy. Again - good sized guy - 6'4" and 260. Fit into Surf Dog just fine.

How accommodating is Flying Ace for big boys? Big broad shoulders/chest don't always agree with kiddie rides. Especially with OTSRs.

I am a couple inches shorter than you and about 20 lbs lighter and I cannot ride Flying Ace due to my shoulders not allowing the restraints to come all of the way down.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of the rides depend of the size of your legs.

I'm 5'9 about 260 and I just barely fit on Diamondback due to how thick my thighs were.

Banshee can also be tight.

The one ride you may want to avoid if Flight of Fear.  Long wait time for a ride you probably will not be able to ride.

Most of the wooden coasters you should be fine on.