More Restaurants Open?

awoody

Now that it is memorial day weekend, is anyone noticing that more restaurants and drink stations are open today?

what are you seeing and where are you eating this weekend? I would love to hit Reds hall of fame grill tonight if it is open.

• Like 1

Reds hall of fame grill looked to be open last night.  There were a couple drinks stations and the Auntie Anne's in Rivertown closed, however. Haven't been there today to check. I hear the new island Smokehouse is supposed to open today in Soak City.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FoolCrzy said:

Reds hall of fame grill looked to be open last night.  There were a couple drinks stations and the Auntie Anne's in Rivertown closed, however. Haven't been there today to check. I hear the new island Smokehouse is supposed to open today in Soak City.

Heard the same thing about the Island Smokehouse. Hoping to give that a shot in the near future.

• Like 1

Yes. That location seems like a waste. I even hear from regulars that it's rarely opened. I think they could even put a couple more Freestyle's throughout the park. I wish some of the Refresh stations had been made into Freestyle's instead. I really like the flavor selection at Freestyle alot better.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

^ Before they came out with the new bottle less plan this year, I used to fill it up and take it on the train and they never said a word to me about it. Not to say that I did it all the time, but I must have been lucky I guess.

I believe they allow souvenir bottles on the train provided that the lid is secured. The idea is to prevent spills; the train rocks around due to the fact that the rails aren't 100% perfect, so it would be easy to spill an open cup of pop.

I think open cups of water are also allowed, on the basis that water spills will be much smaller (thank you Kinzel cups) and don't have the problems associated with a sugary pop spill (sticky residue and all of that).

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 2:19 PM, TheRickster said:

They are typically only on a limited restaurant list weekdays until juneish. Most of the employees are still in school so they can only work closing shifts and weekends. 

When is the last day of school for many of the Cincinnati area schools? Most kids are still in school this week?

2 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Tell that to the 25 buses in the lot now.

School bus doesn't necessarily mean school is still in session...my nephew is there today via school bus with his Indianapolis-area junior high band. Their school year ended last Thursday.

• Like 3

The problem I see with this is this, McDonalds, Wendy's, and Taco Bell are open outside the park.  All of these are high school type jobs, but it seems they find a way to be open.  However I just don't see that KI has much of a care to make an effort to resolve this issue.  My opinion says this is bad business.  I would do what it takes to keep people in the park at all times.  When I see an hour long line, I will be moved to spend my money outside the park on better quality food.  Not opening restaurants is just beyond my understanding.  Just me stating my opinion.  

• Like 6

I stopped over for lunch today, right during prime time. (12:15) Tom + Chee was about a 20 minute wait, which I didn't think was bad at all. Good sandwich. The griller only had one sandwich going at a time, which held things up a bit. Overall, good service.

IS LaRosa's was wrapped down to Graeter's. IS Skyline was still closed. Chick-Fil-a was half way to the Eiffel Tower. RT Potato Works had a massive line. Hank's was closed.

The two things that surprised me were:

1) the lack of drink stations open. (20-30 people deep by Diamondback) Freestyle Market and Freestyle by Train were closed. Tower Drinks closed.

2) Planet Snoopy Grill was closed. First time I've ever seen it closed this year.

• Like 1

I've seen hanks open only once this year. I've been 9 times. Really disappointed with food service this year. Either the places are closed or the food quality is poor. Except for Island Smokehouse and T&C.
I know there has been a lack of help. I think KI needs to work on getting out of state help like CP. They should buy the old KI resort land and build dorms for non local employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They do not have ribs.  

Today they had brisket out but it was not on the menu so no pricing displayed.  I had a sample it is seemed decent.  

The smoked wings I tried today were good with a mid level hickory smoke flavor, I had them plain so I can't speak to the sauce but it appears to be Sweet Baby Rays.    They appear to be finished off in a fryer so they are crispy without a breading.   There are not 6 pieces to equal 3 wings and a super duper size scoop of fries to help fill you up with cheap carbs from lack of protein.  

Certainly among the better tasting food I have had in the park.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, House said:

Thanks for the review. Are the wongs good enough to stay in the park to eat vs going to Buffalo Wings and Rings?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lol.  So there is this Chinese restaurant in St. Louis called The House of Wong.   They answer the phone "You have reached the Wong number."  Who says the Chinese don't have a sense of humor.  

Anywho, I have never eaten at those places you mention and prefer the wings I make at home to any I have ever had at a restaurant.  We have the all season dinning plan so averaged out this meal costs us $3-$4.   I personally would not spend $13 on 3 wings and a pile of generic food service fries and would rather eat out of my car or leave the park for meal if that was my only other choice.  

However the calculus changes if you are not a passholder and only visiting the park once or twice a season and your time there is valuable.  

• Like 2

The biggest complaint I have seen is about food and drink lines. They maybe short staffed in the food department. It has been a real struggle to have the department fully staffed running smooth. Hopefully by Mid June they will be able to get the ball rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2