Island Smokehouse now open at Soak City

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

How about the brisket?  When I was there a couple of weeks ago it wasn't even on the menu although if you asked it you could get it on the meal plan.  

It was not on the menu or a selection on Sunday, for that is what I wanted to get.

One meat one side is a much better deal. Sometimes I just want mac and cheese. The wings are a bit sad in my opinion though. Even when they just put them out they already tasted dry. Shrimp and Pulled Pork I think are going to be my go-to options. I am really pleased with the shrimp

57 minutes ago, PKIVortex said:

So what does while supplies last mean? They only make so much that day and once it's gone is gone for the day?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Correct, basiclly the prep for these items has to start the night before so it is not possible to just make more if the restaurant runs out.

• Like 3

I tried the pulled pork wouthout a bun or sauce, coleslaw and corn bread pudding yesterday.   The pulled pork was good, not shredded to finely and had a decent but very subtle smoke flavor.   The slaw was generic, rather plain and a bit disappointing, but the cornbread pudding was awesome!  It is not on my diet plan and my intention was to just have a couple of bites, but that didn't work out to well.  Good stuff, but was likely loaded with sugar.  

Also of note the Drink Plan Express Line signage was taken down and a trash can put in the isle to block it.   You could still use the Freestyle machines but you had to wait in the whole food line to use it.   The cashier had no information on why and could only say it was a management decision.   

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 8:29 AM, Stoan said:

It sounds like pulled pork and wings aren't "only if the sign is out". Sign was nowhere to be seen when I went this weekend, and wings were on the plan.

Well it originally was only if the sign was on the counter, but apparently they have changed things. My guess is that with the pulled pork and wings being limited supply items, they wanted to first do them in smaller batches to get it right, then ensure they were able to make a large enough supply each night to satisfy dining plan demand as well as those paying out of pocket without compromising quality. Sounds like they made them a permanent part of the dining plan once they got that figured out.

On 6/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Also of note the Drink Plan Express Line signage was taken down and a trash can put in the isle to block it.   You could still use the Freestyle machines but you had to wait in the whole food line to use it.   The cashier had no information on why and could only say it was a management decision.

Well, that sucks. I don't understand why they would do that, unless there were a lot of people getting confused. But in that case, the correct solution would be better signage, not just taking it away completely. Unfortunately, my guess is that it goes back to the root of the food service issues in general: mismanagement, and not wanting to run two registers on one side of the building (one for express drink plans and one for food). Can anyone confirm how many registers they are usually seeing open at the Smokehouse?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 0:18 AM, jcgoble3 said:

Unfortunately, my guess is that it goes back to the root of the food service issues in general: mismanagement, and not wanting to run two registers on one side of the building (one for express drink plans and one for food). Can anyone confirm how many registers they are usually seeing open at the Smokehouse?

I went mid-day on a Saturday when it was silly crowded, they had 6 registers open. 4 on the left side which is the "main" side and 2 over on the left.

I can see why they would remove the FastLane for Drinks line, the Freestyle as awesome as it is, is slow as hell. Don't back up traffic at the new place for people that are theoretically actually spending real money just for people wanting a free drink. If you want a refill go to a refill station, if you want the good stuff, you have to wait.

Side note, I am starting to believe that they don't clean their freestyle machine very often, half the time I get a drink out of one it tastes like dirt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoan said:

Side note, I am starting to believe that they don't clean their freestyle machine very often, half the time I get a drink out of one it tastes like dirt.

They do follow a cleaning and maintenance schedule at Coca-Cola fountains and Freestyle machines.

If a drink doesn't taste right at a location, be sure to let a supervisor or Guest Services know.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stoan said:

If you want a refill go to a refill station, if you want the good stuff, you have to wait.

The Refill Stations have less non-soda options than the Freestyle machines. Why should I have to go to a refill station to get a drink when there is a Freestyle machine where I can get a drink I actually like and can stomach when I walk buy? I've paid my $ for my plan and have certainly paid enough $ to the park this year.

• Like 2

@electricsun and I had Island Smokehouse for the second time last night. Another great meal from the park. Another offering beside Chicken Shack (that the park makes themselves) that I totally enjoy. Electricsun and I were discussing where to put one on the dry side. The new name for the dry side could be: X-Base Smokehouse?

Could always put it where the Reds Hall of Fame grill is!  I would really like to see the overall quality of food to improve.  While I can always find food there I can eat/tolerate I would love to find something I just have to have when I go.  The shrimp at the Smokehouse was pretty close.

Just ate there today for 2nd meal.  Here's my take:

The area it's self is nice. Let's hope it is maintained. I found a killer new drink combo that I hope sticks around (Mello Yellow zero limeade)

With one side open and a line to the door, the folks were really hustling. I did appreciate that.

As for the food, we sampled as much as we could.

Pulled pork: Not bad. I have had better and worse. Seemed too wet and lost the smoky flavor. The sauce was OK also. I maybe should have got the hotter one.

Shrimp: Again, OK.  A little fishy. Did not see any sauce. I do have to applaud a new food item at the park. I had half and my son had the rest. We had 10 on our plate

Chicken tenders: really good. Nice and moist with a light crust. I think a little better than chicken shack.

Mac and cheese: Good. I had one bite and my son devoured the rest. Again, a good item for the park

Smoked baked beans: Really good. I have never had them like that. Spicy hot but not overpowering.  I will have these again

Corn pudding: Pretty good as well. I had a corner piece. I will get this again.

Overall, a really good place to eat. I will be stopping by guest services to give them kudos.

I have not really been paying attention, but will this place stay open after labor day?

• Like 2