What rides should I take my glasses off for?

Balbysawr

My glasses fit fairly loose and can slide off easily. I went to Kings Island last Friday and I took my glasses off for most of the rides, however I forgot to take them off on the Banshee and only realized I hadn't when we were going up the hill. I didn't try to take them off because I wanted to grasp the bars as firmly as possible (It was my first time riding the Banshee and I have a fear of roller coasters, which I got over after riding the Banshee). They stayed glued to my face the whole ride because of the speed so I started wondering if I had really needed to take them off for all the other rides. The only ride I would think would be the riskiest to wear them on would be Firehawk. I'm going back next week because I loved my trip so much and didn't get to ride everything I wanted, so I thought I would come on here and ask you guys if you have any advice on this topic. I want to keep mine on for most of them as I'm practically blind without them and I like to be able to see around me, but I also don't want to lose them. So from your guys' experience, which rides are the riskiest for wearing glasses on?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Balbysawr said:
My glasses fit fairly loose and can slide off easily. I went to Kings Island last Friday and I took my glasses off for most of the rides, however I forgot to take them off on the Banshee and only realized I hadn't when we were going up the hill. I didn't try to take them off because I wanted to grasp the bars as firmly as possible (It was my first time riding the Banshee and I have a fear of roller coasters, which I got over after riding the Banshee). They stayed glued to my face the whole ride because of the speed so I started wondering if I had really needed to take them off for all the other rides. The only ride I would think would be the riskiest to wear them on would be Firehawk. I'm going back next week because I loved my trip so much and didn't get to ride everything I wanted, so I thought I would come on here and ask you guys if you have any advice on this topic. I want to keep mine on for most of them as I'm practically blind without them and I like to be able to see around me, but I also don't want to lose them. So from your guys' experience, which rides are the riskiest for wearing glasses on?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiymMPZr5jUAhXLbxQKHeiRAKsQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.academy.com%2Fshop%2Fbrowse%2Fsunglasses&psig=AFQjCNH0yVwIC0efVoteIejcJmGenFeI1g&ust=1496259627803369

I use thesea8e6c44a4ecafc58a8dd08d55c8d065c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

^ Agreed.   Get a good strap and use it on all rides, you just never know.   They sell them at the park for $4-$5 but I found the quality is not all that great.   

Ryan can't see well without glasses and a few years ago we bought a pair for sports glasses with a built in strap at Walmart Optical.  Even with Transitions lenses they were only $70 or so.  I call it the "Bono Look".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

^ Agreed.   Get a good strap and use it on all rides, you just never know.   They sell them at the park for $4-$5 but I found the quality is not all that great.   

Ryan can't see well without glasses and a few years ago we bought a pair for sports glasses with a built in strap at Walmart Optical.  Even with Transitions lenses they were only $70 or so.  I call it the "Bono Look".

I would get a strap, but I just hate the way they look. I always feel like everyone is suddenly looking at me which makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Personally, I use a hard case, and take them off, put them in the case and store them in the side pocket of cargo shorts.  Emphasis on hard case so if you get bumped around, you don't have to worry about the glasses breaking.  Then again, my prescription is weak enough so that I can see well without them, so there's that. 

• Like 1

As they said, get a safety strap and use it. There are many different styles out there. I find that the ones sold at the park are overpriced for the quality, but still OK in a pinch (e.g. if you accidentally forget your regular strap at home).

I highly, highly recommend Croakies brand straps; they are slightly more expensive than what you get at the park, but far better quality. I use this style every time I go to an amusement park. They are made of neoprene, which has very good grip on your glasses, doesn't wear out easily, and can safely be worn in wet environments (water rides, rainy days, etc.) without it losing grip on your glasses when wet like fabric or rubber straps can do. My current strap is several years old and still functions like new.

11 minutes ago, Balbysawr said:

I would get a strap, but I just hate the way they look. I always feel like everyone is suddenly looking at me which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Don't feel that way. If you look around enough, especially in a crowd of enthusiasts, you'll see more people than you think wearing glasses straps. Like a fanny pack, it's one of those pieces of attire that would get you strange looks in most places but which is perfectly "in fashion" at an amusement park. You certainly won't be the only one in the park wearing a strap, and if anyone does start looking at you, they ought to mind their own business.

• Like 7

I wear medium sized round (John Lennon) Glasses and have never had any issues with them bing knocked off or even loose. The only time i was worried about losing my glasses was on Diamondback but even then i was fine. However my glasses fit fairly snug on my face. I do however have round sunglasses i wear on top of these when its bright out and i will take those off for rides because the fit loosely. (Although when placed in my pocket for Diamondback they got bent beyond repair, and when later clipped to my pocket i got off Diamondback to find they were gone so i should invest in a case for my new pair)

• Like 1

Also, it's worth noting that while Kings Island doesn't do this, some parks will actually prohibit you from wearing glasses on some of the more extreme rides unless you have secured them tightly with a strap. Last time I checked, Cedar Point enforces this policy on several different rides, including Top Thrill Dragster, Millennium Force, Maverick, maXair, and a few others. So if you plan to travel to Cedar Point or other parks that have such a policy, it is well worth investing in a good strap.

• Like 2

I can be the 3rd person to vouch for Croakies here (If I recall The Interpreter recommended them as well)- they are very comfortable, and secure my glasses nicely. I never noticed anyone- park staff or other guests- give me any odd looks for them either, then again I have black hair and black Croakies so maybe people didn't see them. Well worth the $6 I got them for at Wal-Mart, considering my glasses are worth $80+.

• Like 2

Yeah, don't be afraid to rock the strap. Your friends will understand why you have to wear it, and as for all of the random strangers you'll almost certainly never see any of them again. If you do, they will not remember you among the thousands of people in the park any given day.

If it really bothers you, do what I do and just keep it in your pocket and put it on when you board the ride and remove it when you get off. I don't really care if people are looking at me (nowadays I'm usually at the park with my fiance so it's not like I have to impress anyone), I just don't like wearing a strap because it's not something I do every day which makes it feel strange and bug me. But for the 5 minutes (or less) that an amusement park ride lasts, I can deal.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

I can be the 3rd person to vouch for Croakies here (If I recall The Interpreter recommended them as well)

He did. It was on Terpy's recommendation that I decided to give them a try in the first place.

• Like 4

On May 30, 2017 at 3:40 PM, King Ding Dong said:

I did the same. I'm so small, I had to buy the kid glasses, but I'm hep in the park because all the future hepcats wear the same kind as me.

• Like 2

I will say I work for the park and I also work at Luxottica and I take all the unclaimed sunglasses and prescription glasses from lost & found and they are donated to Onesight for recycling which they provide free glasses to underprivileged countries so they can see the world clearly. The rides of which glasses are lost most is Banshee & Firehawk. Those inversions will make them fall. So buy the strap for the glasses or store them in your cargo shorts in a case to keep the frame from bending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hey, How was your trip? How did you manage with your sunglasses? One of my cousin is also planning for the trip. He also had the same problem, He is blind without his glasses, So he had purchased wholesale reading glasses in bulk. He does not want to take any risk with sunglasses, if he lost a sunglass than he would have another pair to wear. So in advance he had bought a bulk quantity of sunglasses.

• Like 1

Welcome to KIC!

Your cousin is pretty rare, in my experience. It seems most people I've known (including myself) who say they're blind without their glasses are nearsighted. But reading glasses are for farsightedness so they wouldn't help. They also tend to be pretty low strength, for severe farsightedness you'd need custom prescription glasses.

I just wear contacts when I'm out. I hated glasses so much (especially when doing things like going to amusement parks in the summer and sweating, going from hot to cold inside an AC'd building, etc) I got contacts as soon as my mom let me when I was thirteen. I dislike them so much still, I almost never will wear sunglasses even though I have a fair degree of light sensitivity due to severe myopia. 

• Like 1

I wear glasses all of the time - I get headaches if I don't - however...I only take them off for rides when on The Beast and Vortex, which I think someone else posted the same earlier. Funny enough, my profile pic is of my son and I riding The Beast (his first time). I once forgot to take them off on The Vortex and panicked and held them the entire time...at which point, I thought I was going to crush them. I do not recommend this. lol

Sometimes I will take them off for other rides but I usually forget...and there has been a time here and there where I'll freak out and ask one of the ride operators if I can stash them somewhere safe for the ride and they've put them up with the person in the control room or on a safe ledge somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 10:50 PM, jdf21972 said:

I will say I work for the park and I also work at Luxottica and I take all the unclaimed sunglasses and prescription glasses from lost & found and they are donated to Onesight for recycling which they provide free glasses to underprivileged countries so they can see the world clearly. The rides of which glasses are lost most is Banshee & Firehawk. Those inversions will make them fall. So buy the strap for the glasses or store them in your cargo shorts in a case to keep the frame from bending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goo to hear my prescription sunglasses I lost on The Beast last year went to a good cause! 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

My husband brings a hard case and puts them in a cargo pocket. 

My son is almost completely blind in one eye,  with pretty bad vision in the other.   He wears his sports glasses.  They have a snug fitting band on the back.   He doesn't like wearing a band.. But he decided it was better than having us have to lead him on and off the ride & having trouble seeing to buckle himself in.  

• Like 1