wv needs a real amusement park

metalchic

i live in Charleston wv and our state only has one very small family owned park.  im not asking for anything huge or anything that comes close to comparing to Cedar Point or Kings Island.  i travel to ohio several times a summer to go to their parks but not everyone has that luxury.  its not even the small size that bothers me, its the lack of safety that bothers me so much.  our roller coaster opened in 1958 and is still ran by manual brakes.  there are no seatbelts and the "lap" bar sits about eight inches from your legs.   my dream is to purchase Camden Park and bring new life to it.  i would love to put quite a few coasters in it.  basically purchase old coasters from bigger parks.  until 1999 we had Kings Islands old screamin demon .  that was actually my first experience with inversions on coasters.  all of these old arrow loopers are starting to be slowly phased out of the major parks.  camden park could kind of be a final resting place for them.  in their current parks they dont get much appreciation compared to all the new steel coasters but i know that they would be very much loved here.

I have often dreamed of buying and renewing Camden myself. The only problem with re-locating coasters from other parks is, there isn't much, if anything at all, small enough to move there. Definitley, you could not fit any old Arrow loopers to Camden. No room for a coaster of that size. They did get Ricochet last summer and it is a superb addition for them. 

As far as Big Dipper goes, the lap bars are not unsafe and seat belts are a relatively new thing for coasters and are really redundant and unnecessary anyway. 

I agree in that I would like to see something new and a little larger than Camden open in WV. Maybe more along the lines of Michigan's Adventure.

• Like 1

It'd be cool to see a park similar to what we have here in Kentucky with Kentucky Kingdom or even Beech Bend. The problem is that Kings Island is in Ohio and Kings Dominion in Virginia so the competition is high and appeal would be hard to get unless you provide enough rides and at least three or four coasters. I would love to see a medium sized park come to West Virginia but I think Camden is it for now unfortunately. MaestroJr

• Like 1