Kings Island Praises

KIBeast

I was looking for a forum around here that had to do with KI employees. As I am not aware of any, I decided to post this here. So, with my recent trip to KI, I bought the coaster combo tickets. 6 of them in all. I already took my trip to KI, and am looking forward to my trip to Cedar Point in July 15-16th, my birthday weekend. Anyway, I was at work yesterday morning cleaning out my car, which were the remnants of McDonald's and some papers that I was thinking were the preferred parking passes I had bought and used those, so I tossed them in the trash. As it turns out, it was my coaster combo tickets. I panicked and was going to go dumpster diving to retrieve my tickets, except when I got to work, our dumpster had already been emptied. Bummer. I was really stressed out, not knowing what to do about it. I was talking to a co-worker and she said, give them a call and see if they can do anything about it. I thought, yeah, surely they can trace my debit card numbers and see that I had in fact bought them. Minutes before calling them, I had come up with the solution myself...when I purchased the tickets, an email was sent with a link to print out my tickets. If they could email me again, I could print them out again. It's not like I could scam the park and use them at KI again as they had already been scanned at the front gate.

I called, spoke to a lady in customer service. She found my order by the phone numbers I had used. It was 2 phone numbers as I had used the same email address for both orders with 2 debit cards used. She sent me the link again and I was able to reprint my tickets. I thanked the lady for saving the day and told her about what a great time we had on our recent visit. Just goes to show you that with the technology and printable online tickets, a crisis has been averted.

What has Kings Island done to deserve some praise?

• Like 11

Cross-threading...

This isn't about a specific employee, but about park operations in general. I love that Kings Island hasn't given in to the trend among many amusement parks of running a reduced number of trains on the coasters to save money on maintenance when the park is not as busy. They still run as many trains as they can (barring maintenance problems and rain) even on days that are totally dead, and I appreciate the positive guest experience it creates. :)

• Like 14

That is one of my main annoyances about some parks, why should I have to wait in a longer line just because I purposely chose to go on a slower day? I was at Hersheypark almost 2 weeks ago and it annoyed me even though it wasn't that crowded, rows on some coasters were chained off so the ride operators wouldn't have to constantly check the rows (I know they used to do this because of their Fast Track system but that changed this year where Fast Track merges before the station) even with some lines at the coasters. Other rides like Storm Runner had 1 train running with a 30 minute line most of the day.

• Like 3

Cross-threading...
This isn't about a specific employee, but about park operations in general. I love that Kings Island hasn't given in to the trend among many amusement parks of running a reduced number of trains on the coasters to save money on maintenance when the park is not as busy. They still run as many trains as they can (barring maintenance problems and rain) even on days that are totally dead, and I appreciate the positive guest experience it creates.

They were only running 1 train on quite a few of them at Kings Dominion yesterday. What should have been no more than 5 minutes on most of them turned into 20 because they waited till everyone was completely off the train and out of the station before opening the gates to let the next group on.

What has Kings Island done?

Given me (and others here) a job! My job at Vortex has been quite the ride (pun intended) so far and it's been a neat experience!

And, in the days prior to mid-2015, let guests stay on a ride for as many cycles as they wanted (if no one was in line) without having to exit. Still miss those days...but I understand why the current policy is in effect. Plus, I have many a fond memory of my numerous Vortex marathons (and other ride marathons too!) to look back on! So thanks Kings Island for many memories made so far and the many more still to be made!!

And we can't forget how KI commemorates its history, from retheming Flight Deck to The Bat as an homage to the original Bat, to repainting all of Vortex's station and giving it cool new signs for its 30th anniversary, and featuring The Beast and its legendary history in numerous articles (as well as Racer in a few cases). I love how Kings Island gives its older, historical and iconic rides their fair share of attention as well as the newer rides.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

What has Kings Island done?

Given me (and others here) a job! My job at Vortex has been quite the ride (pun intended) so far and it's been a neat experience!

And, in the days prior to mid-2015, let guests stay on a ride for as many cycles as they wanted (if no one was in line) without having to exit. Still miss those days...but I understand why the current policy is in effect. Plus, I have many a fond memory of my numerous Vortex marathons (and other ride marathons too!) to look back on! So thanks Kings Island for many memories made so far and the many more still to be made!!

And we can't forget how KI commemorates its history, from retheming Flight Deck to The Bat as an homage to the original Bat, to repainting all of Vortex's station and giving it cool new signs for its 30th anniversary, and featuring The Beast and its legendary history in numerous articles (as well as Racer in a few cases). I love how Kings Island gives its older, historical and iconic rides their fair share of attention as well as the newer rides.

My wife and I were just talking about this and we wondered why they no longer allow guests this option.  Can you shed some light as to why the change was made?

They want people to have a small break between rides. It's for people that might have an unknown preexisting condition that could cause a medical situation.

They actually stopped letting people do that around 2007 as well, but apparently there was some consistency issues with enforcement or they got rid of it and then brought it back.

I used to try and get re-rides on Son of Beast when there was no line. They made me walk around and get back in "line". Oh well, really it didn't ruin the trip at all for me. Now looking back, I can see why I was made to get back in line on that one. Very turbulent ride, to say the least.

Just wanted to say that I thanked guest relations for saving the day on my tickets, but also on my recent visit, the staff at KI made our day a great one. Very efficient and friendly employees. I really don't think they get enough credit for helping guests make memories. It's one of those things that we here in this community notice, but the general public probably takes for granted. So again, if any employees are reading this, thank you for making my Memorial Day weekend a very memorable visit. Singlehandedly,  one of the best times I have had there.

• Like 5

Yesterday I discovered a service that Kings Island has been doing that I was previously unaware of. 

My husband regularly carries a pocket knife with him and I usually remind him to leave it in the vehicle when we visit Kings Island. But, due to a poorly timed incident of hiccups we were both thrown off when getting to the park yesterday so neither of us even thought about the knife until my husband set off the detector. I expected to make a trip back to the truck with it, but instead they told us we could leave it there. 

They put it in a baggie with a ticket inside, gave my husband a matching ticket, put it in a closed bin (later moved to a locker) and said we could come back there to pick it up.

The whole process of checking the knife and picking it up later was handled extremely smoothly and quickly. I realize I must have actually seen this process happening in line in front of me on other visits but because it doesn't obstruct or slow the line, I didn't notice it going on. 

If the item had much emotional or intrinsic value, I probably would have urged my husband to just have me walk it out, but I also feel pretty secure after seeing the process that I wouldn't be too worried to use it in the future on something not as easily replaced if lost. 

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

*~*~*~*BUMP*~*~*~*

Hey guys!  Let's talk about the GOOD experiences we've had this season. 

I rode AE on Monday and when I approached the station, there was a large group of guys of all ages singing songs from Guardians of the Galaxy (good choice, fellas ;)).  Eli, on spiel, was singing with them, and suggesting other songs.  They sang the entire time they were waiting for the gates to open, during load and restraint check, and as they were leaving the station.  (ooga chaca, ooga chaca)  Eli then continued to spiel and had the biggest smile and positive energy.  As he checked my restraint, I commented about how awesome that was, and he said, "Man, I can't wait for them to come back into the station!!!"  You could tell he was having a blast and was spreading the love to everyone around him. I stopped by GS and gave him a good shout out!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

While I was there yesterday with two of my friends (one of whom is blind), the crews at all the rides we rode (which were Vortex, Flight of Fear, Delirium, Banshee, The Bat, Adventure Express, Firehawk, Dodgems, and The Beast) were patient and helpful with ensuring my friend boarded the rides safely. Yesterday was so fun!

And yes, props to KI for eventually getting Firehawk open! Otherwise, my friend and @Daisy1380# would have not had the chance to experience their first (and last) Firehawk flight. :D 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Brad, did you drop your phone on the DB lift again?  :P

LOL, no. This is the first time I have ever had anything come out of my pockets, although I did not wear my cargos and that is usually where I keep everything where it is more secure. I trusted my items in my coat pocket that do not zip and they fell out into a MT train as I was getting out. Luckily I keep everything in as zip lock baggie so it was all together, but still scary when you car key is in there and you do not know where you lost it. I thought it came out on DB, but was actually over at MT. I trusted the restraint would hold the items in my pocket, but I did not think about it slipping out as I am getting out of a train.

I stopped at Guest Services to put in a thank you for Alec helping me. 

• Haha 1

Nice to see some ride ops loosen up and have fun (not skipping safety) this weekend.

Beast Crew:
You can sit anywhere but row 19!
Coming into the station, the one and only red train!
Enjoy your ride on Diamondback where you’ll go up 230 feet...

Racer:
You’re up and outta here on Firehawk!

I’m honestly surprised nobody Friday said thanks for visiting Soak City.