Kings Island Easter Eggs

Captain Nemo

'Easter egg' 

As Defined by Websters Dictionary

:  a hidden feature in a commercially released product

If you have ever been to Disney you know they scatter loads of company related content across their parks and attractions, sometimes hidden so well only true fans and enthusiasts find them and understand their meaning. These examples include hidden Mickeys & cross-attraction theming (Matterhorn yeti in Guardians queue). Finding these can be quite the treat! so as you can imagine during my recent trip to Kings Island, I was quite taken back and excited to find these kinds of easter eggs at my former park! I'd like to share these findings with you; however, if you would like to find these yourselves I have put spoiler tags of all the findings. What I will leave unspoiled is the location and the amount of easter eggs found there. Enjoy!

Adventure Express

1 Easter Egg

Content: TRTR Drumbeat played as BGM in the station. A Throwback to Tomb Raider: The Ride that once stood in Rivertown.

Racer

1 Easter Egg (with multiple within)

Content: Racer Radio, a 4+ hour loop in the station of music popular from the 70s (when racer opened) with dozens of easter eggs spoken of when the radio announcer speaks between songs. Some of these include trivial facts about The Racer, Some witty comments, The Brady Bunch song that played during the Kings Island episode and my personal favorite... a moment where the radio is interrupted by static frequencies with snippets of Flight of Fears pre-show audio with the radio announcer apologizing blaming the interruption on the strange hanger next door. Next time while in line for racer, stand back and take a listen when you can!

Flight of Fear

7 Easter Eggs

Content 1: In the hanger on the right side of the ship below the TV you will find a book behind some test tubes. The book is titled "The Khmers of Cambodia" and spraypainted onto the book is 'TRTR'. A throwback to Tomb Raider: The Ride

Content 2: In the Hanger on the right side of the ship on a white metal desk is a book with the numbers 7359, on the bind of the book if you look hard you will see the name of the book is, "Beast"

Content 3: On either side of the entrance to the spacecraft are billboards with a plethora of easter eggs. Photos from the announcement and media day of Outer Limits: Flight of Fear can be seen, The quarantine logo for Son of Beast, construction photos of the coaster, and dates that correspond to the opening day of the ride back in 1996

Content 4: A grey crate on the left hand side of the ship has the SOB quarantine logo.

Content 5: A clipboard on the wire fence on the left hand side of the ship states a simple janitorial concern, it is signed 'V. Oban'. Voban is the chemical used to clean up protein spills.

Content 6: On a metal trey located under the craft is a binder with the Son of Beast quarantine logo.

Content 7: On the far far left hand wall in the queue against the wall in the hanger just where Fast Pass enters is a clipboard hanging with a comical 'bring your daughter to work day' comments.

Beast

1 Easter Egg

Between queue house 1 & 2 is a small square area with a crate and chain. Does that Chain look familiar? It originally came from the Preshow of Tomb Raider: The Ride at the base of what was where the goddess Shiva sat upon!

Mystic Timbers

4 Easter Eggs

Locations: Entry Plaza, Shed, Queue  

Content 1: The crashed truck plays radio snippits of old Kings Island ads such as 'The Beast' and 'Flight of Fear', even mentioning alien contact in Virginia. Alluding to Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion!

Content 2: The security office located at the greeter stand had a pin board with a few names, do you recognize any of them? A few are from the design team for Mystic Timbers! Also on the board is a business card for Holovis, the creative team behind the shed.

Content 3: Inside the shed as you pass by the transfer before the show on the far left wall and behind the transfer controls on the far wall are the Son of Beast Quarantine logos.

Content 4: (Winterfest Content) The Queue area along the wooden fence features various 'mock' ads for Miami Lumber Company. Give them a detailed read as you will find a lot of throwbacks to rides in the park including some comedic nods to other parks such as "Steel Vengeance Metal Works)

Banshee

1 Easter Egg

Content: The tombstones have some funny names, a few are named after Kings Island management while others are named after a few members of KICentral!!!

Train

1 Easter Egg

Content: On the train ride as you enter the dry park the on-ride audio will abruptly end and begin playing an emergency announcement in regards to the immediate shutdown to the Miami Lumber Factory, alluding the story line for Mystic Timbers.

Vortex

1 Easter Egg

Content: in the area just before you enter the station and walk down the steps, look down towards the break track. you will see an assortment of rocks that spell out 'Vortex 1987'

Blackout (Haunt Maze)

1 Easter Egg

Content: The logo on the facade contains inside the eye a silhouette of Banshees loop.

These are but a small number of fun things found around the park, I'm sure more are out there! Post here if you have found another!

• Like 19

There is some great stuff there! It is obvious that the park has someone who seriously loves the park thinking a lot of these things up. 

If the Tomb Raider drum beat is the one that I think it is I look forward to hearing it in the park again. (Years ago I created my own loop and still listen to it every now and then!)

Keep up the good/creative work Kings Island!

• Like 2

On my most recent visit, we saw The Vortex 1987 written with rocks. Never really paid much attention much to discover them. A few that are mentioned I have not checked out as my son cannot ride those rides, so I will check them out when he is tall enough.

Great eggs though

• Like 2

Not exactly an Easter egg, but this always bugged me...the X-Wing in the 80's display is a vintage Kenner  X-wing (1978-1983), however the Luke (X-Wing Pilot) figure in the cockpit is from the 1995-1998 Kenner / Hasbro Power of the Force 2 line...*not* an 80's action figure! 

Yes, I am a dork :) 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, Captain Nemo said:

'Easter egg' 

As Defined by Websters Dictionary

:  a hidden feature in a commercially released product

If you have ever been to Disney you know they scatter loads of company related content across their parks and attractions, sometimes hidden so well only true fans and enthusiasts find them and understand their meaning. These examples include hidden Mickeys & cross-attraction theming (Matterhorn yeti in Guardians queue). Finding these can be quite the treat! so as you can imagine during my recent trip to Kings Island, I was quite taken back and excited to find these kinds of easter eggs at my former park! I'd like to share these findings with you; however, if you would like to find these yourselves I have put spoiler tags of all the findings. What I will leave unspoiled is the location and the amount of easter eggs found there. Enjoy!

Adventure Express

1 Easter Egg

Hide contents

Content: TRTR Drumbeat played as BGM in the station. A Throwback to Tomb Raider: The Ride that once stood in Rivertown.

Racer

1 Easter Egg (with multiple within)

Hide contents

Content: Racer Radio, a 4+ hour loop in the station of music popular from the 70s (when racer opened) with dozens of easter eggs spoken of when the radio announcer speaks between songs. Some of these include trivial facts about The Racer, Some witty comments, The Brady Bunch song that played during the Kings Island episode and my personal favorite... a moment where the radio is interrupted by static frequencies with snippets of Flight of Fears pre-show audio with the radio announcer apologizing blaming the interruption on the strange hanger next door. Next time while in line for racer, stand back and take a listen when you can!

Flight of Fear

7 Easter Eggs

Hide contents

Content 1: In the hanger on the right side of the ship below the TV you will find a book behind some test tubes. The book is titled "The Khmers of Cambodia" and spraypainted onto the book is 'TRTR'. A throwback to Tomb Raider: The Ride

Content 2: In the Hanger on the right side of the ship on a white metal desk is a book with the numbers 7359, on the bind of the book if you look hard you will see the name of the book is, "Beast"

Content 3: On either side of the entrance to the spacecraft are billboards with a plethora of easter eggs. Photos from the announcement and media day of Outer Limits: Flight of Fear can be seen, The quarantine logo for Son of Beast, construction photos of the coaster, and dates that correspond to the opening day of the ride back in 1996

Content 4: A grey crate on the left hand side of the ship has the SOB quarantine logo.

Content 5: A clipboard on the wire fence on the left hand side of the ship states a simple janitorial concern, it is signed 'V. Oban'. Voban is the chemical used to clean up protein spills.

Content 6: On a metal trey located under the craft is a binder with the Son of Beast quarantine logo.

Content 7: On the far far left hand wall in the queue against the wall in the hanger just where Fast Pass enters is a clipboard hanging with a comical 'bring your daughter to work day' comments.

Beast

1 Easter Egg

Hide contents

Between queue house 1 & 2 is a small square area with a crate and chain. Does that Chain look familiar? It originally came from the Preshow of Tomb Raider: The Ride at the base of what was where the goddess Shiva sat upon!

Mystic Timbers

3 Easter Eggs

Locations: Entry Plaza, Shed  

Hide contents

Content 1: The crashed truck plays radio snippits of old Kings Island ads such as 'The Beast' and 'Flight of Fear', even mentioning alien contact in Virginia. Alluding to Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion!

Content 2: The security office located at the greeter stand had a pin board with a few names, do you recognize any of them? A few are from the design team for Mystic Timbers! Also on the board is a business card for Holovis, the creative team behind the shed.

Content 3: Inside the shed as you pass by the transfer before the show on the far left wall and behind the transfer controls on the far wall are the Son of Beast Quarantine logos.

Banshee

1 Easter Egg

Reveal hidden contents

Train

1 Easter Egg

Reveal hidden contents

Vortex

1 Easter Egg

Reveal hidden contents

Blackout (Haunt Maze)

1 Easter Egg

Reveal hidden contents

These are but a small number of fun things found around the park, I'm sure more are out there! Post here if you have found another!

This is a great post with a few that I hadn't heard of before! Thanks!

• Like 1

Although today was the last day of the season to see them. Added a found Easter Egg to the Mystic Timbers Section

Mystic Timbers

Found Easter Eggs

Locations: Queue  

Content 4: (Winterfest Content) The Queue area along the wooden fence features various 'mock' ads for Miami Lumber Company. Give them a detailed read as you will find a lot of throwbacks to rides in the park including some comedic nods to other parks such as "Steel Vengeance Metal Works". These are all decorated for Winterfest but I am sure we will see updated ads next summer.

20171223_203811.jpg20171223_200943.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/2/2017 at 4:26 PM, Captain Nemo said:

Flight of Fear

Hide contents

Mystic Timbers

Hide contents

Content 4: (Winterfest Content) The Queue area along the wooden fence features various 'mock' ads for Miami Lumber Company. Give them a detailed read as you will find a lot of throwbacks to rides in the park including some comedic nods to other parks such as "Steel Vengeance Metal Works)

Vortex

Hide contents

Content: in the area just before you enter the station and walk down the steps, look down towards the break track. you will see an assortment of rocks that spell out 'Vortex 1987'

First off, a few comments:
The Flight of Fear easter eggs are all hilarious. There's one guy who ran the Coney Mall ride department this year who is totally obsessed with themeing, and spent a lot of time on all of the FOF references. He also made a lot of the signs for Mystic's queue during Winterfest, many of which used the names of people in the Rides department (same with the FOF themeing). And about the 'Vortex 1987,' that was something the crew spent a good chunk of the 2016 season creating during downtime situations - there wasn't much else for them to do, anyway.

Next season I'll be on the lookout for more easter eggs, but I'll have to supply one now defunct egg:
Before Dinosaurs Alive was installed, there was a Haunt trail called "Trail of Terror." Many TOT props were left in the woods, including gravestones which read "Roger Wilco" and several fake severed limbs. TOT and DA overlapped at points, so if you were somehow bored by the dinosaurs and knew where to look, there would be gravestones (and sometimes limbs coming from the ground) in the woods, hidden enough to have to look for them, but visible. Unfortunately, nobody's gonna be on the lookout for them ever again.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2017 at 0:51 AM, Captain Nemo said:

Although today was the last day of the season to see them. Added a found Easter Egg to the Mystic Timbers Section

Mystic Timbers

Found Easter Eggs

Locations: Queue  

Reveal hidden contents

I heard that the wood used to make those frames came from the old SOB maintenance building!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 6:34 PM, mayaman2 said:

First off, a few comments:
The Flight of Fear easter eggs are all hilarious. There's one guy who ran the Coney Mall ride department this year who is totally obsessed with themeing, and spent a lot of time on all of the FOF references. He also made a lot of the signs for Mystic's queue during Winterfest, many of which used the names of people in the Rides department (same with the FOF themeing). And about the 'Vortex 1987,' that was something the crew spent a good chunk of the 2016 season creating during downtime situations - there wasn't much else for them to do, anyway.

Next season I'll be on the lookout for more easter eggs, but I'll have to supply one now defunct egg:
Before Dinosaurs Alive was installed, there was a Haunt trail called "Trail of Terror." Many TOT props were left in the woods, including gravestones which read "Roger Wilco" and several fake severed limbs. TOT and DA overlapped at points, so if you were somehow bored by the dinosaurs and knew where to look, there would be gravestones (and sometimes limbs coming from the ground) in the woods, hidden enough to have to look for them, but visible. Unfortunately, nobody's gonna be on the lookout for them ever again.

I'm surprised to hear all this came from a rides employee, I would have expected an actual department in charge of refurbishment to do all this. Goes to show how far you can go with little money. I also heard Mystics Station (which was bare at the start of the season) was also themed by the crew. Again, very surprising to hear the crew did a better job themeing than the actual team hired to do so.

Either way, big props!

• Like 3

That is not carved on a tree.  That was a poor photo shop image.

The Son of Beast logo on the crate next to Flight of Fear?  I don`t think there was ever such a thing.  They had a crate that shook in 1999 by the entrance to the Kings Island Theater, and then had the Son of Beast logo in it by the entrance to Son of Beast.  I don`t think there was anything related to Son of Beast by Flight of Fear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1