Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Hollywood in late September

Hi everyone!  I've been a lurker for a long time now and I finally have something to ask and talk about!  (I'm super shy and quiet until you get to know me... then I don't shut up!)

We (me, my daughter [10yo], my boyfriend, and his two sons [10yo and 13yo]) are planning a SoCal trip for the last week of September (23-30).  We will be doing four days at Disney, one at Knott's, and one at Universal.  We all know Disney parks pretty well and my daughter and I have been to DL/DCA before so we're comfortable with planning our days at those parks.  She and I have also been to Universal Hollywood, but it was more of a "Something to do" day as opposed to a "Let's ride rides!" day and none of us have been to Knott's; that means we are not sure about planning those two parks.

My boyfriend and I have looked at Fast Lane for Knott's and Front of Line for Universal, but we just don't know if those would even be necessary for late September.  Our Knott's visit will be Sunday the 24th and Universal will be a weekday (we're not sure which yet).  I have searched and read threads here to try to help us decide about FL and FoL, but either no one has asked about fall/autumn months or I've completely overlooked it.  If we can save money by not needing to buy those, then that will help tremendously with budgeting the trip.

I know some of you are familiar with the SoCal parks (excluding Disney!) and I am hoping you will share your thoughts about crowds in late September and whether or not we should bother with Fast Lane and Front of Line.

Thanks in advance!  :)

• Like 1

I have been to both in late September.

Knott's is likely to have short lines.  But it might also close early because of Knott's Scary Farm which is a separate hard ticket event.  I just am not sure if it occurs on Sunday nights in September.  You are unlikely to need Fast Lane but I recommend getting to the park early and riding as much as you can early.

Ever since the Wizarding World opened in Hollywood, Universal Studios has seen a large increase in attendance.  Likely the park will be busy.  If you can afford it consider a VIP tour, they are expensive (about 350-400 each) but you get parking, breakfast, lunch, admission, tour guide which walks you to the front of every attraction in the park, very good seats to all shows, and a behind the scenes tour of the Universal backlot where you can walk around some of the sets from movies and TV shows.  Plus after the tour is over you get a badge good for unlimited front of the line access to the rides. I have only done the VIP tour once but I had a fantastic time and really do recommend it.

I do not know if front of the line will be needed because it is hard to estimate based on how much Potter changed attendance.  Two years ago it was slow late September, now I have no idea.

You might also want to consider the Halloween events at both parks.  You are there the right time of year but they typically would only occur Thursday to Saturday in September, in October they also run Sunday and Wednesday.  I actually think Knott's Scary Farm is better than Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Hollywood.  But Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando is better than either event in California.

• Like 1

I visited Knott's on Sunday, October 27, 2013 (yay for FB pictures to provide the actual date!). The park didn't feel busy. Most rides were a walk on or a few cycle wait. Sierra Sidewinder was the longest wait later in the day. The park did close early because of their Haunt - or rather their hours are abreivated. Everyone has to leave the park in between the park closing and reopening for the evening scary activities. 

Personally, I really enjoyed KBF and want to go back again soon. I've mentioned it in another thread but don't under estimate some of the "family" rides. The train ride is a great interactive experience. Calico Mine Ride is unlike anything I've ever experienced...before and since! If you don't like being snug with your group...the ride can be a bit offputting at first but is absolute worth the slight awkwardness. My biggest regret is not doing their log ride. I hear it's great. Lastly, carve out a bit of time to check out their live shows. The ones I saw were top notch and worth seeing. 

I hope you enjoy your visit to all the parks! 

• Like 1