Origins: a Cirque Experience 2017

Magenta Lizard

Well I got to see the preview last night and I must say I was very impressed with the performances! There are many things that are the same, but also some major differences. 

While the actual acts were fantastic, there seemed to be a bit of awkwardness and confusion to the /transitions/ within the show. It makes me wonder if something was changed last minute. It reminded me of when, in the past, the show needed to be changed because a cast member had been injured or was out of town. I think it is possible an act was removed, because there were moments that seemed to be filler, and the show ended a bit early. I am curious to see if things change next week. 

Now onto details, so I am going to put the rest behind spoiler tags

#WhatsInTheHole

IMG_2957.JPG

The show starts with a preshow that is pretty much exactly like last year's if you saw that, with the two monkey lizards in purple coming out into the audience and playing with a ladder 

IMG_2966.JPG

Then playing on the pole in the middle

IMG_2977.JPG

I won't say what happens next, but ultimately the rest of the cast come spilling out.

This year one of the sprites in yellow is a woman! Also, for one wild moment I thought Yannick had rejoined the cast because first out of the doors I saw a big bushy beard on a familiar face. But no, it is Mick ("Suspenders") from last year's show! Filling out the cast in yellow are the new slack line performer, and a young man who filled in temporarily last year for one of the regular performers. There were also two intriguing new goblin-like characters, who ultimately do the two completely new acts on the KI stage. 

But first a more familiar act, the slack and high wire 

IMG_3043.JPG

He did some really amazing tricks! When he came across the high wire, he fell off (onto his tether) but I'm not convinced that it wasn't intentional. 

After some playfulness by the men in purple and awesome new stage effects

IMG_3104.JPG

the ball descends to drop off the female half of a new Hand2Hand act

IMG_3106.JPG

The other half of the act is the young man I mentioned was briefly part of last year's show

IMG_3110.JPG

After that, there are some familiar hip gyrations and banter with the returning drummer, Levi, as one of the monkey lizards prepares to juggle

IMG_3115.JPG

but is then interrupted as the others bring in an unfamiliar apparatus. 

This act was so cool, and is taken into otherworldly by some unique costuming. 

IMG_3127.JPG

There is some familiar ukulele playing, on the front steps of the stage this time, while the team sets up for another stunning new act

IMG_3137.JPG

I was truly clutching my face in nervousness by the end of this act!

The show ends in what felt like an extended but familiar version of the trampolines at the back of the stage, with the two men in purple, the young woman in yellow, and newly-bearded Mick, accompanied by Levi on drums at the top of the tower.  

IMG_3143.JPG

All in all, this is shaping up to be another great show with a skilled cast! I know there was some criticism that last year's show was  perhaps not as mind-blowing in the actual acts as Cirque Imagine had been, focusing more on the humor and personalities of the performers. This year's show without a doubt delivers on both personality and awesome skilled performances!

• Like 5

Just got back from the 3 PM show and good stuff as usual.

I really liked the first new act (I felt sad for him as I wondered why he was masked - until the very end), but I was nervous during the second new act (though I still love that song, wonder what it is?). Putting familar songs in new places messed with my mind a bit at first, but I think I'll get used to the new order. Also, I felt like the trampoline finale was missing something- a future act, perhaps?

I have to say I like Imagine better than Origins.  There's better flow between set pieces in the former show.  Origins seems to have a lot of dead air between certain sets.  Imagine has better music as well IMO, a better percussive soundtrack that added a bit more life and intensity to the show.  Origins does have a nice foreign soundtrack and use of synths plus the use of a live drum set, but as a whole, Imagine does the music, and everything else (including more elaborate choreography) better. 

• Like 1

I finally saw Origins.....this time was my 2nd time ever seeing it (last year included). 

The cast was really on point....they had such high energy. We even experienced a show stop. It was kind of awkward but when they got the show up and ready to go it went on pretty well. 

One act couldn't complete their stunt but up until that point it was awesome. He seemed as if he was extremely disappointed, but he did a great job anyway. 

There were several KICers there, so we got a picture, which I'll post later.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Just got back from the 3 PM show and good stuff as usual.

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder what happened at the 3 pm show with the technical difficulty. The  actors looked confused. I know it will get better the more they get their routine down. We enjoyed the show!

So I did a little Shazam-ing during the shows to try and track down some of the new music. 

The new music that plays before the show begins is Sky Sounds by Marcus Warner 

The music during the pins/blocks act is Young Man's Theme by Konstantinos Raptis 

It says one of the things I checked was Ritournelle by Ella Louise Allaire, but I am unable to find a recording to listen to that will allow me to confirm. I believe it is correct, because she has composed music for Cirque du Soleil, and wrote another piece that returned from last year: Valse des Marionettes, the song from the lamppost act.

Also returning is Ask a Muppet, during the ukulele transition bits 

• Like 1

I do agree with Silver that I thought Imagine was a better overall show. I did enjoy Origins, but the story seemed lacking. Just taking a glowing thing and putting it in a hole a couple times did not have the emotional heft that I got from Imagine's story where one character fell in love with another. I thought maybe there'd be some story behind the Quasimodo-looking character and why he seems to act like a bit of an outcast, but nothing happens with that (though he is cool looking and has a great routine). And I agree that the trampoline finale seems to be missing a little bit of a wow factor (at least at the show we saw). 

I'd still go again, but not the "I really need to see this multiple times" feeling I got with Imagine.

Just saw the new act 

and I think it's pretty cool. It puts a nice spin (pun intended) on the single Cyr Ring act from Imagine as it's like the 2.0 version of that. Also, I'm slowly getting more comfortable (and less nervous) about the balancing act.

Sorry to double post, but after digesting today's performances (I saw the 3 PM and the 5 PM shows), I have 2 pieces of miscellany to add.

#1: It's amazing how the same piece of music can take on a new meaning when combined with different actions. Case in Point: (Warning! Thar be spoilers ahead*)

Within the context of Hand2Hand, Ritournelle seemed like a great song to accompany our voyage to the new world that featured the incredible talent showcased during the act. Now, in the context of the new act (Double Cyr Ring), the piece sort of makes it seem like a love story between the two performers.

#2: Paco and Jocko are REALLY popular. Based on crowd reactions from the shows I've gone to and hearing from other guests (whether as an associate or a fellow guest), these guys seem to be the clear favorite(s). I'm not sure what it is, but people love them! Knowing this, I feel like KI should do a comedy stunt show, either with Paco/Jocko or other talent (also, a bird show would be cool).

*This line is supposed to be read in a pirate voice. :P 

Didn't care much at all for the 2016 version of Origins. I went twice compared to probably two dozen times seeing Cirque Imagine in 2015. I was expecting disappointment when I went to see Origins again.

I have never been happier to be wrong. I think the show is very much improved and is finally the Cirque successor that I wanted all along. The parts I actually liked were kept and even improved upon while the stuff that I didn't much care for got replaced with acts that were much, much better. All in all, this is a show that I will definitely watch again and again.

• Like 5

I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet - the only two times I've been to the park since the show started this year have been on Wednesdays, and this past Wednesday was particularly annoying because they kept doing in-park announcements for the show even though it doesn't run on Wednesday.

I saw the 5 and 7 PM shows today and I must say, I like that...

they were trying some new flips and things during the 5 o clock version of the Trampoline Wall.

. Also, a good sign that I like/love a show is when I see it twice during my visit... that being said, I love the show! :D 

• Like 1

@electricsun and I saw the 7PM showing yesterday. We really like the show this year and I think the changes are improvements from last year. Even though it was a part I enjoyed last year, removing the painting part from last year was a good move. Doing so seems to make the flow of the show seems better. Way to go!

• Like 2

I've only gone to the show 3 times this season... So I'm not nearly the expert as many of you. But I really liked tat there was a thread last year which alerted me to when acts changed or gave links to the actors Facebook pages to allow me to follow them.

So if you have insight on the show or notice new things, post them in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bat at night said:

Went to the show for the second time this year and love it! 

Very entertaining and I hope KI will expand the show in future years.

The Doberman dog show might be the worse dog show I have ever seen. It lasts less than 20 minutes and I couldn't wait to leave.

Why was the dog show bad?

I like this year's dog show much more than last year's.

As far as Cirque is concerned, I also like this year's better than last year's - especially with the hand2hand act being replaced by the cyr wheel act. This made it so there weren't two contortion acts back to back. Glad the slack line guy is back since that's my favorite act. Over all very solid show!

• Like 1