Any speculation on the secret project in 2019? 

Rumored to be called "Project: Alpha" its supposed to be in the South Carolina side of the park according to permits filed.

https://coaster-nation.com/carowinds-building-new-hotel-and-new-attraction-in-2019/

Since its in the South Carolina side of the park, one can speculate that it'll be a coaster. If this is true, that would be four years since their last coaster, Fury 325, so they're certainly due for a new coaster. Also, Dinosaurs Alive is in the SC side of the park and seeing as its departing from Cedar Fair, the DA land frees up a lot of space for a new coaster. I think it would possibly be a wooden coaster by GCI since a good wooden coaster is something that the park significantly lacks, especially with the removal of Thunder-Road and the likeliness that Hurler will get the RMC treatment. 

• Like 1

If its a woodie, what manufacturer do you think will build it? Given Cedar Fairs new relationship with Rocky Mountain Construction it would be cool to see a topper track woodie. But because of the loss of Thunder Road, a GCI woodie would probably be appropriate to fill the gap of classically built wooden coasters.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There is a definite rumor for a multi-launch coaster at Carowinds.  People are talking about this all around the park.  They are making some preparation already.  I have no idea what it will be but I do want to see a nice GCI type of coaster at Carowind.  

10 hours ago, chugh43 said:

What happened to the GCI everyone was pretty sure was going to happen like last week? #Nuts

I think a lot of us predicted a GCI because the land is compact and Carowinds is lacking a good wooden coaster. However Carowinds doesn't have a single launched coaster so there's also a high possibility of the park getting one. In my opinion, Carowinds will get a wooden and a launched in the future, its just a matter of which comes first.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, according to a post on Reddit (which has a image that seems legit) the new coaster is indeed a Mack, as footers and boxes with the Mack rides logo have appeared on-site. The footers are also supposedly the type Mack rides does use. Here is a link to the reddit page I found it on, with the image, which claims the OG source was Carowinds Connection:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/8m5kds/its_official_carowinds_2019_coaster_is_a_mack/

Now, the main question becomes I guess: classic launch (Helix @ Liseberg), or spinning (Time Traveller @ Silver Dollar City)? I would guess the former.

Edit: Found the OG post on Carowinds Connection with more pics.

http://www.carowindsconnection.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4764&start=1635

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The flyers are coming back.

https://www.carowinds.com/play/rides/mountain-gliders

Have you ever wanted soar like a bird over majestic mountains? The Mountain Gliders, opening in Carowinds’ all-new Blue Ridge Junction area in 2019, offers an experience that’s mighty close. After boarding one of the unique carriages, you’ll start spinning at a high speed, so much so that you’ll spin outward and rise to 28 feet above the ground. Once in the air, you take matters into your own hands by operating the carriage’s controls to command the glider’s flight. Whether you explore the high altitudes as if flying above the Blue Ridge Mountains or cruise at a lower elevation in the valleys, the choice – and experience, mild or wild – is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

So, where exactly will Blue Ridge Junction be located in the park? I haven't been there since 2003, but if I'm correctly guessing, from the (old?)South Gate, near Afterburn, it would go Crossroads (where Afterburn is) and then the new County Fair. So, will BRJ be using part of the old Thunder Road land (part of which I think was used for a Carolina Harbor expansion?) or somewhere else?

EDITed because I misremembered the RFD area is where Afterburn is, but actually I think it was the old County Fair area (IIRC, RFD is where Boo Blasters is), which is now Crossroads... it's been a while! :wacko:

• 1 month later...