I do not understand the logic on removing the rapids ride. When I went a couple summers ago it was super hot and the line for the rapids ride was the longest one we waited in all day. This makes no sense. If it was immediately being replaced by another water ride with high capacity it would be ok but removing all the water rides in a park in the south is dumb. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aaron88stang said:

I do not understand the logic on removing the rapids ride. When I went a couple summers ago it was super hot and the line for the rapids ride was the longest one we waited in all day. This makes no sense. If it was immediately being replaced by another water ride with high capacity it would be ok but removing all the water rides in a park in the south is dumb. 

While I never rode the rapids ride, I completely agree with you. I hate seeing rides removed, especially the ones that can really help out folks (I mean cooling them down) without a replacement. 

58 minutes ago, Aaron88stang said:

Maybe the ride was a maintenance nightmare?  Or ridership had decreased to a point where they couldn`t justify the costs of upkeep.  Or they have an idea for a new attraction and that was the best location for it.  I am sure that they will replace it with something eventually.  That area of the park is right by the main entrance area, so I am sure they will do something with that area.

6 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Maybe the ride was a maintenance nightmare?  Or ridership had decreased to a point where they couldn`t justify the costs of upkeep.  Or they have an idea for a new attraction and that was the best location for it.  I am sure that they will replace it with something eventually.  That area of the park is right by the main entrance area, so I am sure they will do something with that area.

A maintenance issue perhaps but ridership would not be the issue based on what I experienced. It was close to an hour wait.

I waited well over an hour for Rapids summer 2018, it is always one of the rides with the longest lines unless it is cold. Carowinds doesn’t open Rapids until the waterpark opens and closes with the waterpark. This had became normal operations. 

Back in 2006, Carowinds opened Rapids on Opening Day in March and ran it all the way through the season. There was a five year gap after 2006 that I didn’t go to Carowinds and at some point Rapids became “seasonal” for lack of better term. 

Per Carowinds Connection

Unfortunately Rip Roaring Rapids will be closing. 

"It was put bluntly at Winter Warm up that Rapids is being retired, so say goodbye."

They said it’s being retired, and to say goodbye. It was asked if there is any chance of a rehab, and the response was “We don’t know what’s going to happen there yet”.

I really don't understand this move by the park.  For a park like Carowinds that gets so hot, they need more dry park water rides not none.  Hopefully the park gives it a refurb like Knott's is giving theirs.

While that location would be great for a GCI, I can't see that happening for at least a few years.  The park would be better off giving Vortex a floorless conversion and refurbing the Rapids ride.

11 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I was checking wikipedia and I noticed it stated KECO manufactured the ride. Does anyone happen to know if this is true or not, I'm surprised they manufactured it considering  Intamin was already manufacturing rapids rides.

That is inaccurate, It was designed by Intamin. Carowinds built the original rafts in house that were used until 1983 when Intamin rafts replaced the original rafts that had design flaws. Intamin was unable to supply rafts in time for 1982 so Carowinds made their own 8 passenger rafts. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chugh43 said:

Oops! I assumed they had Origins last year....
New show to me :)

Most would call it a "blend" of the best parts of Cirque Canadien that was at Wonderland and Origins that was at KI/KD with a NC/SC spin to it.  In fact, one of KI Origins performers did his same act in this show last year... 

Carowinds stage is small and could barely pull off Cirque Imagine (and wasn't as large as the KI production because Carowinds could only fit one trampoline and the walls did not close in from the sides but rather pulled out from the set) and didn't have the room for Origins.  Doesn't really have the room for this show either as those that have seen it can attest.  The sway pole is so close to the ceiling that the performer cannot fully extend and they had to put pads on the HVAC ducts in case they missed it is that close...

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 8:40 PM, disco2000 said:

Most would call it a "blend" of the best parts of Cirque Canadien that was at Wonderland and Origins that was at KI/KD with a NC/SC spin to it.  In fact, one of KI Origins performers did his same act in this show last year... 

Carowinds stage is small and could barely pull off Cirque Imagine (and wasn't as large as the KI production because Carowinds could only fit one trampoline and the walls did not close in from the sides but rather pulled out from the set) and didn't have the room for Origins.  Doesn't really have the room for this show either as those that have seen it can attest.  The sway pole is so close to the ceiling that the performer cannot fully extend and they had to put pads on the HVAC ducts in case they missed it is that close...

It was Jack Rouse who gave the advice that, if KI were to ever be taken seriously from an entertainment standpoint, they would need to have a “real” proscenium theater - indoor, fly loft, etc. The idea didn’t necessarily travel to the other parks, so I’m grateful that we have what we have.

• Like 1

Watching the blurry web cam on CS and it looks like it will be a lot of fun. Also only thing that concerns me is on those empty trains it goes so slow on those loops it looks like it won't make it haha. With a full train is it possible it won't ? lol I know they can up the launch if needed  but still haha Look like an awesome ride.