I know this was discussed in a thread somewhere, but I can not see to find it in my search. The incident with the inspector with the severed hand on Carowinds Windseeker has ended with a $42,000 fine.

$42,000 fine issued after Carowinds ride severs ride inspector’s hand.

FORT MILL, S.C. — A ride at Carowinds reportedly severed an inspector’s hand at Carowinds earlier this year. Now, Cedar Fair, which owns the Carolina amusement park, may be forced to pay a $42,000 fine, WSOC reports.

More here:  https://myfox8.com/2019/11/12/carowinds-ride-severs-ride-inspectors-hand-leading-to-42000-fine/

On 9/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, Ben43065 said:

With a 52’ height requirement I personally disagree with it being a family coaster. It’s a launch rollercoaster with several inversions. In my mind a family coaster is a coaster with a 42’ height requirement or below that is thrilling enough to be enjoyed by the whole family and isn’t too intimidating. For example The Bat, Adventure Express, Racer & Backlot (Even though it is a tad bit intense)

Each of those rides you listed has a height requirement higher than 42"... and at Kings Island, there are only two coasters below that level (Great Pumpkin Coaster and Woodstock Express). Did you mean 52"? If so, then wouldn't Copperhead Strike be a family coaster at that level?

44 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Each of those rides you listed has a height requirement higher than 42"... and at Kings Island, there are only two coasters below that level (Great Pumpkin Coaster and Woodstock Express). Did you mean 52"? If so, then wouldn't Copperhead Strike be a family coaster at that level?

What I meant was that an ideal family coaster would be 42’ inches however most family coasters are 48 inches. I find a multilaunch, multi inversion rollercoaster with the 52’ inch height requirement to definitely not be considered family. Sure it may not be the most intense rollercoaster out there but it’s certainly high thrill. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Three coasters come to mind for Carowinds' future: GCI, Vortex Floorless Conversion, and RMC Hurler in that order.

1. GCI next because Carowinds needs a modern wooden coaster and one with a 48" height requirement. 
  2. A year or two later I would convert Vortex to a floorless coaster with some theming and possibly trains with vest restraints
  3. 5-6 years after the GCI install, I would RMC Hurler and make it different than Kings Dominions where it focuses more on inversions.

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Three coasters come to mind for Carowinds' future: GCI, Vortex Floorless Conversion, and RMC Hurler in that order.

1. GCI next because Carowinds needs a modern wooden coaster and one with a 48" height requirement. 
  2. A year or two later I would convert Vortex to a floorless coaster with some theming and possibly trains with vest restraints
  3. 5-6 years after the GCI install, I would RMC Hurler and make it different than Kings Dominions where it focuses more on inversions.

Hurler isn't a bad ride and it would be a shame for them to lose their one decent woodie. If I had to bet on the spot for a new coaster/next coaster to be replaced it would be Nighthawk. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Hurler isn't a bad ride and it would be a shame for them to lose their one decent woodie.

Hurler is one of the rougher woodies I've ridden and the layout really didn't do much for me. I would be interested to see what different things RMC could do with the layout compared to Twisted Timbers

8 hours ago, Zader said:

Hurler is one of the rougher woodies I've ridden and the layout really didn't do much for me. I would be interested to see what different things RMC could do with the layout compared to Twisted Timbers

I rode Hurler last summer and it isn't rough at all. Sure the layout is not great and the coaster is just meh but rough is not the problem.

• 5 months later...

Looking back on things, I'm almost convinced both Nighthawk AND Vortex will be removed for a future coaster. The reason I say both is because Vortex was never converted to a floorless which leads me to believe they're more content with removing it all together.

Both coasters sit right behind the main entry area (sort of like how BLSC sits behind International Street in a way). Vortex doesn't take up as much space as Nighthawk but removing both coasters would ultimately allow for more space. 

Screenshot_20200824-102904~2.png

I don't know if its small enough to be relocated and converted at another park without breaking the bank. I'm personally not a fan of parks relocating old rides to parks that never get anything (LaRonde getting Green Lantern for example). With that being said though, if Vortex were to be converted to a floorless at say Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure that might not be as bad. The thing that would upset me would be whichever park receives the hand-me-down would most likely not receive a new coaster for a while; but then again the lower tier parks haven't gotten anything in years anyway so used is better than nothing I suppose.

Maybe I'm being too analytical. Maybe they'll just keep Vortex and convert it after they eventually scrap Nighthawk to compensate for a defunct coaster. Maybe they'll scrap them both. Who knows?

• 3 years later...

I didn’t want to create a new thread so I thought I’d just ask my question here.             To anyone has stayed at Carowinds on site hotel, do you know if you can purchase or redeem Fastlane at the hotel’s front desk? I’m asking this because I know you can redeem Fastlane at Hotel Breaker’s front desk and gift shop. Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...