Should VR come to Kings Island

SonofBaconator

VR  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Virtual reality has become a new part of the amusement park industry. VR headsets provide a unique experience that changes the ride experience of a coaster. Still, there are some that believe in the good old fashioned coaster experience. 

That being said, should Kings Island get VR headsets for their coasters and if so, which ones?

I tried to vote "no", but apparently it forces me to answer the second question in order to submit my response to the first question. Since there is not a "no" option for the second question, I therefore cannot vote at all.

3 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

I tried to vote "no", but apparently it forces me to answer the second question in order to submit my response to the first question. Since there is not a "no" option for the second question, I therefore cannot vote at all.

I fixed it so you can vote. I believe in a system where everyone can vote

• Like 1

This isn't really a choice based on what I'd want, but rather what makes sense logically.  Flight of Fear and Bat are the 2 that make the most sense to add VR.  FoF for being indoors and Bat for its mild and smoother track and layout compared to other coasters at KI.  Adventure Express and Backlot would be close 2nds.  

• Like 1

I voted no, it really hurts capacity with up to 10 minutes to dispatch a coaster train and for outdoor coasters, it is no fun sitting on a brake run in hot weather with a phone strapped to your face.  If it was going to be added to a coaster, I think Racer would be the best choice with 1 side for VR and 1 for regular operation that way anyone who doesn't want the VR, won't be stuck in a slower moving line and can ride with a normal wait time.

• Like 1

I voted Undecided because while it would be cool to have VR on The Bat (as I've ridden it so many times), I'd miss the area's natural beauty (Unless you were racing/following a Crobat lol). Also, there's there's the issue of increasing wait times because of the technology. Although I voted none for the second question, I think the most likely candidates could be The Bat or AE. IMO, VR on FoF would be a bad idea because you are launched indoors and you can't brace yourself from the forces.

MDMC, who is "old school" but is considering trying Iron Dragon's VR whenever he gets back to The Point.

EDIT: Backlot could be another good VR candidate, but then again, the unexpected forces. Also, if Cedar Fair got the rights to Crash Bandicoot and made AE a VR Crash Bandicoot : The Ride, I'd do it! :D

• Like 1

I just remembered that Backlot's trains are already equipped to handle VR.  They have the chassis design that once held on-board music/sound which would be ideal for housing VR equipment.  The only problem with using Backlot is the waste of the real special effects. 

• Like 1

Are the parks just handing out headsets or are they headsets part of the trains on coasters using VR? Cause honestly, a simple ipod touch with a simple headset mount would suffice. They could rent them out at the front of the line to people who want them and then they get returned down the exit. This would really simplify the process and cut costs a bit.

The only reason I said that is because the excuse for adding VR is to give a "limited time only" attraction, The Bat isn't the most popular coaster and certainly never has a wait, the only problem with that is having fast enough operations to handle it, which sorry Kings Island, and anyone working in operations, if Cedar Point can't handle it without capacity nightmares then I don't see any other park attempting.

The Bat never has a wait? That must be why I've turned around 1/2 way to the ride because I really didn't want to wait 30+ min for the ride. The Bat is more popular than you think. There has generally always been a conversation here that lines don't equate popularity. 

• Like 4

After witnessing "seasoned" vr at Cedar Point yesterday....I will say I am strongly against it for sure. 

Iron Dragon on a typical evening would have a 10-15 minute wait....last night....first midnight close with a very small amount of folks in the park, held a 20-30ish (if not longer) wait. They were running one train and each train dispatched in just under 10 minutes each time. The crew was hustling but the process and the whole thing wasn't efficient. Not worth it.

During my visit, Iron Dragon consistently had the longest wait (I only rode it twice during my visit) even when VR wasn't running and I think it has to do with the VR sign the put in front and guests don't read the VR times and got in line out of curiosity.  It greatly surprised me. 

I can imagine the same thing happening with other rides. 

I was reminded of this topic before my night ride on The Bat as there was an announcement to have someone put their phone away as The Bat is more interesting than one's phone. While this is true, would the spiel change with VR (As to quote Son of Baconator they would be essentially "shoving a phone in front of someone's face"). Also, I get that VR is hot right now and it's an interesting concept with coasters (as VR can transport you into another place while mimicking the sensation of a coaster), but maybe they could not do this right now.

• Like 1