Should VR come to Kings Island

SonofBaconator

VR  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

Just remembered that this topic exists. I actually did VR on Iron Dragon earlier this summer, so now I feel like I can actually comment on this. So, bump!

I honestly kinda liked it? It definitely added a really interesting twist to a ride I would otherwise normally pass up. I was really impressed with how well synced it was to the ride itself--I thoroughly expected some kind of minor delay that would have instantly made me sick. It was on point the whole ride. It could pass as the next generation of motion simulators. Simulators like our former Action Theater can simulate jolts and shakes, but it doesn't really simulate continuous movement well. This definitely fixed that. It was fun!

That being said... As much as I've thought about it, I honestly can't see a long-term future for coasters utilizing VR. It's a cool idea, and maybe someone will figure out how to solve the capacity problem, but I honestly can't fathom how anyone would utilize VR as an intentional part of a new attraction. Augmented reality, maybe--but not virtual reality. And here's why:

1. If you have the money for a coaster and you want to do theming, I'm sure you'd have money for actual theming, too. If you don't have money for theming, then I can't imagine you having money for VR, unless you can get some kind of advertising deal worked out. But if you're going to use any amount of VR exposure time for advertising, then you're probably not all that concerned about theming to begin with.

2. VR isn't immersive, at least not in its current uses: there's no sound, for starters, and it isn't unlike sitting very closely to a television. It's not the best medium for storytelling, in my opinion. What's more, Iron Dragon's VR has no relevance to the overall theme of Iron Dragon (and the same goes for most of the SIX VR rides.)

So what is its future, in my opinion? I think we're seeing all that VR will ever be--"pluses" to older existing attractions. And for that, I think it does alright*. It's something new to draw small amounts of attention and create unique, limited-time-only experiences that get a few more people in the door.

So, if VR comes to Kings Island, I think The Bat is the obvious choice. It's out of the way, and it's not got an extremely long ride time. I wouldn't be upset if they did it there for a summer. Just don't go in with an expectation that it's going to rock your world, because that's not what it's there to do. It's just a "huh, that was neat"-sort of thing.

EDIT: Forgot to add: I think Cedar Point has set the bar on WHEN to offer VR. Doing it on a less-popular ride during a less-popular time of day is pretty smart and offers the least-intrusive opportunity to experience coaster VR--or not!

*Offer not valid in Valdosta, GA... Seriously, why would you choose your EXTREMELY low capacity coaster to get the VR treatment? That probably should be considered a form of torture.

• Like 5

To follow up on TombRaiderFTW's post (and upon looking at my own earlier post), AR (Augmented Reality) on roller coasters would be a very interesting concept, especially on The Bat or Adventure Express. However, I still may have reservations about trying it as I'm slow/resistant to change.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, MDMC01 said:

To follow up on TombRaiderFTW's post (and upon looking at my own earlier post), AR (Augmented Reality) on roller coasters would be a very interesting concept, especially on The Bat or Adventure Express. However, I still may have reservations about trying it as I'm slow/resistant to change.

*Bold-ed and italicized for emphasis.

You dare bring up a violation of the 11th Commandment?! :ph34r:

• Like 5

I was at Cedar Point when they were testing VR on Iron Dragon and it enhanced the experience. However, the line moved minimally and can't imagine how long the lines would be with VR at Kings Island and having to stand in line with people complaining about it, no thank you. Plus the whole time I kept thinking they probably didn't wipe down the VR equipment well between uses. While I really thought it was an awesome experience, the lines would be way too long. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I've been giving this a lot of thought recently and here's my two cents. If they can make it work, why not?

I think The Bat, however, should be the only coaster to get VR. It would be unique for the park to make a story for The Bat similar to MT and Banshee. Making a VR experience that makes you feel like a bat and maybe even interacting with a Banshee would be awesome. VR would be optional of course.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I've been giving this a lot of thought recently and here's my two cents. If they can make it work, why not?

I think The Bat, however, should be the only coaster to get VR. It would be unique for the park to make a story for The Bat similar to MT and Banshee. Making a VR experience that makes you feel like a bat and maybe even interacting with a Banshee would be awesome. VR would be optional of course.

Thoughts?

I feel that The Bat is too short of a ride for VR. I think AE would be a better fit for VR.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I don't think any ride needs VR. It's such a gimmick. As far as it being on The Bat...it worked for Iron Dragon at CP, but the wait dramatically increased for VR than regular operations...and the programming for it was just eh. 

I really enjoyed the Iron Dragon VR overlay. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that experience, nor would I want all day VR. It worked on ID because it's a longer ride. I think The Bat is just too short of a ride -- there isn't enough time to develop a whole story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoadAndGo said:

I really enjoyed the Iron Dragon VR overlay. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that experience, nor would I want all day VR. It worked on ID because it's a longer ride. I think The Bat is just too short of a ride -- there isn't enough time to develop a whole story.

Doesn't need to be a story, just flying like a bat

• Like 1

Does anyone Remeber back in the day, when then what "vr" was, Kings Island had the 4d seats with the night on bald mountain video? I had to work that and actually some days had sold a big amount rides/tickets, it was by SlingShot, Adventure Express, Bubba Gumps and the Monster Truck RC Cars and the ladder game, sometimes had to double work that game and the seats. FYI the seats also squirted water lol, and had airbags in the backs and bottom cushions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

I never did it, but remember seeing the seats.

It's official name was "Cyber Says"

I know a few things that went on with that at the beginning of the last season of that and at the end when they took it out, I'm not allowed to talk about it, publicly.(And no not because of NDA as I worked there 2006 and those expire 10 years after you sign them.)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 12:26 PM, chugh43 said:

I don't think any ride needs VR. It's such a gimmick. As far as it being on The Bat...it worked for Iron Dragon at CP, but the wait dramatically increased for VR than regular operations...and the programming for it was just eh. 

Kinda off topic but, if not VR what else can be added to The Bat? I always wanted a light package similar to Banshee's and some Bat audio like flapping and screaching throughout the que. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Kinda off topic but, if not VR what else can be added to The Bat? I always wanted a light package similar to Banshee's and some Bat audio like flapping and screaching throughout the que. 

A shorter walk could be added...or more entertaining walk (audio resembling bat noises could work). 

I don't think there's really anything that could be added. I don't think most would see a lighting package...I know I haven't really been over to The Bat after dark, so I'm not sure how many folks are actually over there to see it. I don't think on ride, it'd add much to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

A shorter walk could be added...or more entertaining walk (audio resembling bat noises could work). 

I don't think there's really anything that could be added. I don't think most would see a lighting package...I know I haven't really been over to The Bat after dark, so I'm not sure how many folks are actually over there to see it. I don't think on ride, it'd add much to it.

I ride The Bat at night and its a pretty fun experience. The only problem is you're not completely in the dark, like you are on say The Beast or even Diamondback. You can still see the lights from Banshee and the rest of Action Zone while you're riding it.

• Like 3

The problem with bat noises is they don’t make sounds we can hear as it is all ultrasonic, even the wings flapping is pretty quite.  Helped my dad raise hundreds of bats as a kid for his research.   Even in a basement room with a hundred flying around in a circle overhead it was pretty quite.  

• Like 3

On March 2, 2018 at 7:12 AM, King Ding Dong said:

The problem with bat noises is they don’t make sounds we can hear as it is all ultrasonic, even the wings flapping is pretty quite.  Helped my dad raise hundreds of bats as a kid for his research.   Even in a basement room with a hundred flying around in a circle overhead it was pretty quite.  

Bats do chatter. On an old iPod I bat noises, also flying foxes are so big you can hear their wings flap very audibly/loudly. Bats make clicking sounds or chirps. NatGeo one year went to a cavern out west and filmed thousands of bats, I think it was either the badlands or Carlsbad Caverns.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 1:46 PM, SpclK said:

Bats do chatter. On an old iPod I bat noises, also flying foxes are so big you can hear their wings flap very audibly/loudly. Bats make clicking sounds or chirps. NatGeo one year went to a cavern out west and filmed thousands of bats, I think it was either the badlands or Carlsbad Caverns.

But what you can hear is barely noticeable even in large numbers.  They make lots of sounds but it is mostly all ultrasonic. I am talking about your common North American bat here, some of the big South American fruit bats might make a bit more noise due to their size.   Maybe your dog can hear it. We used to go out to New Mexico every summer to caves and catch bats to bring back.  They really are harmless and would only bite you if you grabbed ahold of one without gloves on.  

• Like 1