Plus size riders

Sam Mattingly

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what I would be able to ride at Cedar Point.  I am a bigger person, about 280 and 5'6".  Most of my weight is carried in my stomach.  At Kings Island  I am able to ride Vortex, Flight of Fear, Racer, Beast, Mystic Timbers, Diamondback, Adventure Express, Delirium, Banshee, Invertigo, The Bat, and Firehawk.  I am not able to ride the Drop Tower.  I have not tried Backlot Stunt Coaster, but my boyfriend is smaller than me and he told me it was really tight.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks.

• Like 1

If you can't ride Drop Tower, Wicked Twister is a no go as they are even more unforgiving. If you can ride Delrium, MaxAir should be good. 

I would assume that with your list of rides, most of the rides will be okay. I think the coasters that may give you the biggest challenge will be Millinium Force and TTD. The seat belts hit right below the stomach and across the hips. I've seen people much larger than me ride while I struggled with securing the seatbelt because of my hips.

I know it doesn't help, but it really depends on where the weight is carried.  If you have larger hips and thighs, rides generally are a bit less forgiving. 

• Like 1

For reference, I'm 6'2" 285 lbs.  KI rides I know I don't fit on: FoF and Diamondback.  I rode Drop Tower last year, but the fit was so tight that I could barely breath.  I use the big boy seats (red? belts) on Banshee with no issue.  Racer/Beast are snug on my hips, but the restraint is fine.  I also ride Vortex, The Bat, and Backlot Stunt Coaster without issue.  I went to CP a few weeks ago and here was my experience.

Wicked Twister - No way.  Tightest restraints in the park.

Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster - Belt on test seat didn't reach, so I didn't try to board.

Gatekeeper - Only fit the larger seats (Row 4 I think it was)

Valravan - Had to sit in the seats with Red belts (2 per row)

Raptor and Rougarou - I barely fit in the normal seats, but seats with 2 belts were a more comfortable fit.

Maverick - I don't remember needing a special seat in these.  Definitely rode it MANY MANY times.

Magnum and Gemini - No problem with belts/harnesses on these similar trains.

Corkscrew - OTSR was tight on the top of my shoulders, but I was OK to ride.

Blue streak - Didn't try, no interest.  Kids reported this ride was SUPER ROUGH.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - I have trouble with this one due to long legs, so I didn't try.

As far as I remember, there was a test seat located at the entrance to nearly every rollercoaster.  Exceptions being Mine Ride, Blue Streak, Corscrew, Gemini and Magnum.  You shouldn't have any trouble with those though.

• Like 1

My boyfriend weighs probably 50 pounds lighter than me (when he rode BLSC and Drop Tower he weighed about 240-250) he said BLSC was snug so I didn't bother with it but I had no issues on Flight of Fear.  He barely fit in Drop Tower and that was with sucking it in and not being able to breathe, so I know I won't fit.  I hate Drop Towers anyway.  Are the ride attendants allowed to push down lile they do at Kings Island?  I can fit fine in everything I listed but need help because I can't really push down when seated myself, but they are always willing to help at Kings Island.  The tightest ride for me there would have been Diamondback because of how it fit on my thighs, but once we were on the ride it didn't feel tight anymore, just the initial loading.  The second tightest would have been The Racer, but all that I listed were still manageable.  I haven't even tried Woodstock Express or Flying Ace Aerial Chace.  And I obviously fit in the flat rides such as Shake Rattle and Roll and Monster.

• Like 1

They will push down within reason and will sometimes try and get a stronger op to help.  I nope out of that, I really don't want to be so stuffed in that if there was a malfunction and I had to sit on a lift for an hour, I would go bonkers.  

The belt on Magnum is really close for me.   I couldn't get it to click last week for some reason, gave up and was half out of the seat when a ride op told me to sit back down because I was so close.  He was able to get it to click, so I would say *most* of the time they will do what the can to get you in.  

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I visited Kings Island this summer for the first time, I'm 300 lbs. And 6 foot 2. I had to used to big boy seat on Banshee rows 4 and 5. It was a friendly ride operator by the test seat got me in quick with no problems. Also rode Invertigo, easy fit, Delirium lots room to spare. I decided to give Drop Tower Scream Zone a try, a friendly ride operator helped me in this new shoulder harness to get the short safety belt to latched, it went in maybe a tighter fit but rode it a lot of times. I used the seat number 1, or 10 on Drop Tower Scream Zone. Than I did Racer coaster, blue side, When I was board that train, I click the safety belt in, than ride operator told me that I have to have two clicks of the lap bar, so got one push, and got stapled in. Painful after riding it. Firehawk was cool, but I went on Italian stunt have no problems, but Flight of Fear had to get pushed in to get the safety belt in, but still riding it. Also got one push on Diamondback in the test seat with the green light change, no problems on Diamondback my favorite ride. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I’m a 5’6” 250 pound female. Previously at KI I had not been able to fit on both Banshee and Diamondback. I’m going again in a few days after losing some weight(used to be 270) but I’m not sure if I will be able to fit or will still be too big. Does anyone have an answer?

21 minutes ago, Marca said:

I’m a 5’6” 250 pound female. Previously at KI I had not been able to fit on both Banshee and Diamondback. I’m going again in a few days after losing some weight(used to be 270) but I’m not sure if I will be able to fit or will still be too big. Does anyone have an answer?

Everybody is at least a little different, so there's no magic number. Were you close to being able to ride Banshee and Diamondback at your previous weight? Fortunately, they do have test seats at the ride entrance, so that you can find out before you get in line.

1 hour ago, Marca said:

I’m a 6 foot, 260 pound man, I can fit in any coaster at KI, however on Diamondback and Orion, I have to make sure my pockets are empty, it may seem minor, but a large bulky cell phone can cause you to not be able to squeeze in. Just know even if you can’t ride somethings, that doesn’t mean you still can’t have fun! Good luck. 

5 hours ago, medford said:

There are middle rows on Banshee with longer belts (3 & 4 maybe).  I'm not sure if Diamondback has anything similar.  As MaestroJr said, make sure you empty out your pockets to give you the best chance.

I think it's 5 and 6 but there is a sign, they are around the middle of the train.