Food Warning: Rivertown Potato Works

beastfan11

• Pay-per-ride (Coney Island, pre-Kings Island)
  • Pay one price, ride everything all day
  • Season passes, pay once, visit all year
  • Season-long pre-paid meal plans
  • Season-long pre-paid drinks
  • Season-long pre-paid photos
  • Fast Lane

Each one of these has surely changed the in-park experience once it was implemented.  The only thing I can wonder, is what in the world is next??

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 6:26 PM, jbum123 said:

They come prebreaded. I doubt you could see that through the breading and that's if anyone was actually checking every individual piece. While KI is not really at fault for this (go to Wall Mart, buy a DVD player and it breaks. Not Walmarts fault) it should have been replaced or refunded with no questions asked.

This is another reason why Disney has the upper hand. Yes, it's ungodly expensive but just got back and while we were there, my daughter dropped her Mickey ice cream bar from it being so hot. Disney's fault? Nope but they gave her a new one. No questions asked. Similar the day before with an ice cream cone. Daughter dropped it while trying to eat it. Went to buy another and was given a replacement.

Bought a $15 bubble wand. Kids played with them nonstop for a week. Last day, it stopped working unless you twisted it. Asked a vendor if they had seen it happen before and next thing I know, we have a new one. No questions asked.

These parks make a killing off of food and merch and often you spend more than the price of admission. It's just good custom service even though some will abuse it.

Agree fully with this. The situation itself I don't really blame on Kings Island. AS stated it's not something that could be seen until the piece was broken into. However, the way they handle the situation is 100% on them, and this was an extremely poor reaction to a situation that would have had an easy remediation. Person gets bad food, even shows proof, wants a refund and they'd be happy. Done. Instead they choose to jsut ignore it causing person to have to print a bad review of teh location adn the customer service. 

• Like 3

Let's not forget that yes it's processed food. But odds are they went with the cheapest supplier.... you get what you pay for on food suppliers....

I think what worries me then most about this situation is the apologists that are content with this. The "eh itsnone bad thing, they'll get it right next time". Or my favorite "if you want a Disney experience go to Disney, you won't get it here".... basically saying a below average experience is appropriate.

I'm a current meal plan holder that will not be renewing next season. We've had it for a few years. Each year I've said maybe next year it will be better...

I can count 3 places the meal plan is good for right now... Chick Fil A, Panda Express, and LaRosas (some times).... (haven't been to the Tom and Cher yet)..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

In defense of food service (which I am generally critical of)... Not all food is bad. Chicken Shack, Hanks, Skyline and Island Smokehouse are good to very good and there is enough food for two people. They seem to have put some effort into this department this season, but speed of service and the attitude of many of the employees need major improvement.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In defense of food service (which I am generally critical of)... Not all food is bad. Chicken Shack, Hanks, Skyline and Island Smokehouse are good to very good and there is enough food for two people. They seem to have put some effort into this department this season, but speed of service and the attitude of many of the employees need major improvement.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Maybe I need to give Chicken Shack a new try... last time I was there it was dry and tasted like they used old oil. As for Hanks, not a huge fan of their flavor. And Skyline .... something feels off with it. Maybe it's nothing...

I should also mention I haven't tried Smokehouse yet. But last year the Reds grill was great.

I've tried everything at Island Smokehouse except the shrimp, and it has been fantastic every time. I can't recommend that location highly enough. Reds Hall of Fame Grille has also been very good this season.

The only bad-tasting food I've had this season was at Chicken Shack. As with Shark's meal, it tasted like it was cooked in slightly rancid oil. A supervisor was notified, so hopefully it got changed out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Voicetek said:

This is one of the reasons why we don't eat in the park.  Food prices are absolutely ridiculous and I refuse to give into that kind of robbery.  If we're going to be at the park longer than just a few hours, I will gladly leave and come back rather than to drop $20 on low-quality junk.  If people would take a stand and quit buying food, and more importantly food plans, you'd see the park remedy the situation so fast it will make your head spin.  Like someone said on here in the past, the park already has your money in advance for the food you're going to eat (food plan purchases), so what's motivating them to step up their game?  If people are buying this food regularly, then why put forth extra effort to change things?  The only way change will happen is if the park feels pressure to do so.  Pressure usually comes in the form of lack of profits.  As long as people are willing to spend $20 on chicken crap, we probably won't see a change.  Remember, as consumers we vote with our wallets.  What are you voting for?

I completely agree!  Not only are the food prices very high but overall the quality is not there.  I wouldn't mind paying if the food was good and they had some signature items.  When I go to Dollywood I look forward to the food as much as I do the rides.  Yes the prices are higher which is to be expected (just like Kings Island) but the food is actually really good and memorable.  Like the cinnamon bread at the Grist Mill or giant pizza slices at Lumberjack Pizza or the italian sausages and grilled peppers grilling along side the midway or the fried chicken restaurant with Miss Lillian the crazy chicken lady, I'm getting hungry thinking about it!  The point is there isnt anything at Kings Island that is better or more unique than something you can get at a fast food joint on the way.  Not to mention how long the food lines have gotten this season.  So for the time being Ill be voting with my food dollars elsewhere. 

• Like 2

You can get Kings Island's famous blue ice cream at a place called the Whipty-Do which isn't but 5-10 minutes from Kings Island.  My wife and I have been out there a few times the past couple of summers and have gotten their blue ice cream.  You can get a large serving of it in a waffle cone for less than what you'd pay at the park for a regular size cone.  It tastes exactly the same, we can't tell any difference at all.  From what I understand, they get it from the same supplier KI does.  So if you've got a craving for the blue ice cream, but can't get to the park, this is definitely a great back up option.

• Like 3

On 7/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, malem said:

The defective chicken nugget that sparked this thread appears to be fully cooked, even though it evidently wasn't breast meat.

I'm sorry, but I worked in the food industry for 13 years and I have never heard of any kind of chicken that stays looking or being raw, in spite of it being fully cooked. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shark6495 said:

And Skyline .... something feels off with it. Maybe it's nothing...

I know. It tastes different than going to an actual store outside of KI. It tastes good, but I think going to an actual location outside tastes way better. Not sure if it because the food ingredients isn't as fresh in KI or what (due to shipping it there), but yeah tastes a bit different at KI.

I too, highly recommend the Smokehouse. The quality and taste is very good all three times I've ate there.

• Like 2

I know. It tastes different than going to an actual store outside of KI. It tastes good, but I think going to an actual location outside tastes way better. Not sure if it because the food ingredients isn't as fresh in KI or what (due to shipping it there), but yeah tastes a bit different at KI.
I too, highly recommend the Smokehouse. The quality and taste is very good all three times I've ate there.

I think Skyline at the park is saltier. A least that's what it tastes like to me.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, purdude86 said:

Agree fully with this. The situation itself I don't really blame on Kings Island. AS stated it's not something that could be seen until the piece was broken into. However, the way they handle the situation is 100% on them, and this was an extremely poor reaction to a situation that would have had an easy remediation. Person gets bad food, even shows proof, wants a refund and they'd be happy. Done. Instead they choose to jsut ignore it causing person to have to print a bad review of teh location adn the customer service. 

I have worked in food service and retail for 20 plus years and without the product there isn't much I can do. I just reread the original post. The food was thrown in the trash. If someone came up to me with just a picture and no actual product, I know for sure anywhere I have ever worked, I would not be able to do much. This is just based on everywhere I've ever worked. It sure helps to have the bad product with you and even better accompanied with a recipe if possible.

^Exactly, the moment the food was thrown in the trash before confronting anyone most the argument was lost. I've worked nearly every position in a high volume sit down restaurant and did so over a decade. I have no problem with the op taking the picture of deep fried vein (not a pool of blood BTW) that's his evidence. But you have to give the restaurant a chance to determine and fix the issue. The restaurant I worked for we made most stuff in house but many things were through a vendor. It helps the restaurant deal with the issue with the vendor and if there is a true food safety issue (fried vein not an issue) then there is samples to test. When managing at a the sit down restaurant yes most times any issue and I wouldn't let you pay for it. In the least I'd offer to upgrade and replace your meal and if you're cool about it I'd probably give a voucher for a dinner for two and get you to come back. In the theme park setting I could see where scrutinizing the complaints is almost necessary.

Thankfully or not the customer is always right mentality is decreasing. I'd say it coincides greatly with an entitled mentality increasing. We don't need to put up with bad products and services, but I think we should be willing to let a place make it right without the demands. Should we expect someone to dig through the trash literally to make us happy?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Talk about roadblocks.  Not to often will restaurants will give you the recipe.  Good luck with that.  

I think he meant "receipt". If I flip the "i" to before the "e", my autocorrect tries to change it to "recipe".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

Thankfully or not the customer is always right mentality is decreasing. I'd say it coincides greatly with an entitled mentality increasing. We don't need to put up with bad products and services, but I think we should be willing to let a place make it right without the demands. Should we expect someone to dig through the trash literally to make us happy?

Didn't the O.P give them a chance to make it right? And instead of handling it right then and there and be done with the issue, they sent him to guest services (which takes time away from your trip) only to be told that he had to talk to manager of food services whom he would have to wait longer (an email conversation that was actually not an apology at all, really. Nor was the problem rectified)) . He also stated that he had a pic of said bloody nugget (contianed within this very thread) which is as good as taking said product to the counter. Do we expect them to dig through the trash? No, but the pic was sufficient evidence of said bloody nugget.

Now, I have to say that the young lady I spoke with at Guest Services was incredibly nice. Very apologetic and professional. I even showed her the picture of the blood-nugget (see above, kids)! She promptly took my name, number and email to pass along to a supervisor because I was informed that I would be waiting a while to speak to someone that night. And like I've said twice already: In the grand scheme of things this isn't the end of the world. It's food. Really crappy food, but just food. I just wanted my $19 back. That's all. 

So then I wait to be contacted. 20 days!! 20 days it took to be contacted by the "Food and Beverage Area Manger," and only to have them kind of insult me because I decided not to wait around Guest Services to speak with someone. LAME. I emailed them back in regards to the situation and sent the picture as well. The PR apologies kicked in and I was informed that...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

^Exactly, the moment the food was thrown in the trash before confronting anyone most the argument was lost. I've worked nearly every position in a high volume sit down restaurant and did so over a decade. I have no problem with the op taking the picture of deep fried vein (not a pool of blood BTW) that's his evidence. But you have to give the restaurant a chance to determine and fix the issue. The restaurant I worked for we made most stuff in house but many things were through a vendor. It helps the restaurant deal with the issue with the vendor and if there is a true food safety issue (fried vein not an issue) then there is samples to test. When managing at a the sit down restaurant yes most times any issue and I wouldn't let you pay for it. In the least I'd offer to upgrade and replace your meal and if you're cool about it I'd probably give a voucher for a dinner for two and get you to come back. In the theme park setting I could see where scrutinizing the complaints is almost necessary.

Man, are you serious? 

"Not a pool of blood BTW"

Yeah its not a pool of blood, but would you eat that? Seriously? 

• Like 2

Sorry that happened to you beastfan. I hardly ever eat while in the park, mostly due to the heat and riding rides. Cost as well... $19? For wings and fries? 

If I do eat during my stay, I always pick the LaRosa's on International Street when it's less busy (usually 2 or 3PM). The less busy those restaurants are, the better the service quality. When it becomes a mad house with long lines, well, those teen workers usually get a bit frazzled. 

• Like 3