What's going on around the train?

CocaColaParking

I took a ride on the train today, and noticed that there were some trees between MT and the train that were tagged. Nothing super unusual, probably just tagged for removal. However, back towards the train house, there were wooden stakes in the ground with some writing, couldn't really read what it said. Then again back towards the fake tree stumps were the town is, there were more. Anybody have any leads? Just clearing of land? Added theming? Other activity?

If you look around, there are lots of dead or half dead trees throughout the park. Many of them are ash trees. When you're on the train sitting at the Soak City station, there are 4 or 5 half dead ash trees right there. They're probably just marking dead ones to remove. The emerald ash borer has really become a major problem in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I believe on a Facebook group, someone mentioned that they noticed one stake said "geese" and another something like "5th day", leading them to believe they will be doing a 12 Days of Christmas thing. Seems likely. 

...Or it is markings for grass mowing - as in this section is cut 1st day of the week, 2nd day, 3rd day....stakes for geese so the mowers don't make chopped geese...

• Like 2

I would guess to say it is Winterfest related. I would doubt there is going to be anything new for 2018 except maybe a sprucing up of an area. Winterfest is costing the park a good amount money to bring back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be that as it may, it will pay dividends in the long run.

You can't use that as a valid excuse not to do anything for the 2018 season. I don't expect to see a new coaster, but a new flat ride for kids and one for adults would be great. There are any number of places to put one.

They could always bring back the Action Theater, seeing as how it's just sitting there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

Be that as it may, it will pay dividends in the long run.

You can't use that as a valid excuse not to do anything for the 2018 season. I don't expect to see a new coaster, but a new flat ride for kids and one for adults would be great. There are any number of places to put one.

They could always bring back the Action Theater, seeing as how it's just sitting there.

Allegedly it has been completely gutted of seats.  

• Like 1

Not surprised they were gutted.

1 - They aren't going to bring back Days of Thunder despite my love for that thing

2 - The seats are what, 15 years old? They need replaced if they do bring back Days of Thunder, I loved that thing

I really liked Days of Thunder, I loved that thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

Yeah, and?

It would require a total re-installation of seats, most of which were probably shipped to other parks for parts.  The hydraulic cylinders in the seats went bad fairly often.  (Source: I worked at Action Theater in 2004).  They would likely require a projector conversion to digital, as the films aren't as prevalent anymore.  If they had to replace the seats with new ones, they would likely require a new controller and terminal to control everything.

Basically what I am hinting at, it would be expensive.

• Like 2

It would require a total re-installation of seats, most of which were probably shipped to other parks for parts.  The hydraulic cylinders in the seats went bad fairly often.  (Source: I worked at Action Theater in 2004).  They would likely require a projector conversion to digital, as the films aren't as prevalent anymore.  If they had to replace the seats with new ones, they would likely require a new controller and terminal to control everything.
Basically what I am hinting at, it would be expensive.

Which item in an Amusement Park isn't expensive? So they sink $1M fixing it. Big deal.

But would they get a return on that $1 million investment?

The revamp they did at Carowinds seemed to be popular.  I personally haven`t experienced it, so don`t know if it was worth the investment there.  

It would be nice to see some kind of attraction in that building again.  Although the placement of Windseeker kind of makes traffic flow back to the building constricted.

I would still love to see a new flat ride on the former Flight Commander location.  I think that is a prime location and would definitely look good with a new flat there.

• Like 6

I was also just thinking loading would probably be a capacity nightmare on that. The one @fyrfyter linked looks interesting and much quicker to load and unload. 

I haven't been specifically searching for one, but I haven't yet seen a ride KI doesn't have that would be perfect for the Flight Commander pad. Everything looks either low capacity, not thrilling, or vomit-inducing (so not a "fun" thrill)*. So, personally, I'm ok with their waiting for the right ride to be created. 

*except possibly the screaming swing, but as others have mentioned it is unlikely Cedar Fair will bring one to KI, and it does offer a somewhat similar experience to what we already have in Delirium. 

19 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I have ridden the HUSS ride pictured above (which is located at Canada`s Wonderland).  I wasn`t that impressed with the ride experience.  It wasn`t all that thrilling and the loading process was quite long.

Ah man. I'm going to Canada's Wonderland soon, and I always wanted to try one of those out. I thought it would be pretty thrilling.

On a different note, I think a ride like that would be a good fit near the Flight Commander location

I'm no engineer, but I'd say that the former FC spot is virtually worthless, as-is, for a new attraction, speaking specifically about any residual structures still there (not that the KI history nut in me wouldn't like to see them use it somehow).  So, if something new were to go there, everything would have be removed, and they would have to start over from scratch.  To me, that makes it an even less desirable location than a spot that's never been used in the first place (due to the costs of removing what's left of FC). Additionally, that is not a real large area, and I can't imagine any attraction that Kings Island would be interested in fitting there.   I can only see the Flight Commander spot being used if it was a part of a much larger development, where they would be taking out multiple unused areas all in one shot to make way for something new.

Yes, you would have to remove the existing foundations.  That is not that hard to do.  They did remove the Son of Beast footings in the area of Banshee.  

The area is bigger than it might seem, as the pad sits away from the Racer a bit.  And keep in mind that they were originally going to put Drop Tower (not our current version) on that site in 1997, but we ended up getting a water park expansion instead.

I can see that area being used as part of a flat ride package.  I would love to see a flat ride package and revamp like Carowinds received this year.

• Like 4