July 4th @ Stricker's Grove

Oldiesmann

Since I finally had the day off for the 4th for the first time in years, I decided I was long overdue for a return trip to Stricker's Grove. My sister and brother-in-law decided to join me as well. We got up there probably around 3 or 3:30. Even though my niece can't ride very much and my brother-in-law isn't much of a rides person, we decided to spring for rides wristbands for them as well. We all had a great time and the fireworks were great for being a small show at a family-owned park. Despite the large crowds we still got rides on everything except the scooters (ran out of time) and Tornado (went down while we were in line for it).

This is the first time I've been back since I went up there during the 4H fair a few years ago. It was nice to finally get to ride the Pirate Ship and they've also added a Mozer's Spring Ride (think Scream Machine at Coney) since I was there last as well. The other major change is that they upgraded the drive system on their Ferris Wheel - instead of the standard cable drive system, they've got some fancy computerized direct-drive system, installed to apparently make it easier to operate (and also apparently much to the amusement of someone in the rides department at Coney).

The weather itself was perfect, and we lucked out in that the only major rain came while we were getting dinner - the heaviest while we were actually paying for our food - so we didn't get very wet at all.

We all had a great time and I won my niece a small purple stuffed stingray at the bowling game in the arcade (we all purchased tokens with the intention of winning a prize for her - I just happened to get lucky and got it on my second try).

Total ride count: 2x carousel, 2x (for both me and my sister) Kiddie Whip, 2x Train, once on everything else.

Attached photos: first two show an old CP Huntington locomotive and tubs from some random ride, last three show the new drive system on the Ferris Wheel.

IMG_20170704_181146.jpg

IMG_20170704_191234.jpg

IMG_20170704_202954.jpg

IMG_20170704_204438.jpg

IMG_20170704_204811.jpg

• Like 3