Can I ride the Kings Island roller coasters?

Emily Rose

Hi! I am 5'7 and 287 pounds with a pretty large chest, and I was just wondering if I was going to be able to fit into any of the rides at Kings Island?

I have had a gold pass the past several years, where I've ranged about 255-287 pounds, and have never really had any issues, everything has always been a little snug, but other than that nothing major.

My mom has me freaked out now that because I've gained the weight back I lost, that fitting into the rides isn't an option, and I just wanted to see what some other people had to say.

I usually always have a worker double check when strapping me in, but then what happens if I get some teenage kid that doesn't really care?

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated! Working towards trying to lose the weight, but unfortunately that doesn't happen overnight. It will be nice to not have to worry about this one day. :) Thanks!

Not to speak about which rides you may or may not fit into, but I really don't think you're going to run into any ride ops at Kings Island that will let you ride unsafely, just because they "want you to shut up and get on with the ride." The newer coasters have sensors that won't allow the train to go if the restraint isn't closed far enough, and the ones like Beast have a certain distance (number of clicks) where the restraint needs to be, which they do check if they have any suspicion it isn't far enough (I'm always getting measured by "the nail" because I tend to like my lap bar a little loose even tho I'm under 200 lbs). They do make good tries to help riders push restraints to the required level, but if they aren't able to they don't just let it go in the interest of speed. 

The worst that would happen is that you are told you aren't able to ride, and have to get off. No one is going to send you off with an unsafe restraint. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 5:34 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

Not to speak about which rides you may or may not fit into, but I really don't think you're going to run into any ride ops at Kings Island that will let you ride unsafely, just because they "want you to shut up and get on with the ride." The newer coasters have sensors that won't allow the train to go if the restraint isn't closed far enough, and the ones like Beast have a certain distance (number of clicks) where the restraint needs to be, which they do check if they have any suspicion it isn't far enough (I'm always getting measured by "the nail" because I tend to like my lap bar a little loose even tho I'm under 200 lbs). They do make good tries to help riders push restraints to the required level, but if they aren't able to they don't just let it go in the interest of speed. 

The worst that would happen is that you are told you aren't able to ride, and have to get off. No one is going to send you off with an unsafe restraint. 

I'm with Magenta, here.  KI ride ops have been nothing shy of amazing in my book.  

As a chunkier girl, I am able to ride everything I want to.  The only seats that were super snug were FoF, WindSeeker, Vortex and Drop Tower.  Everything else was pretty comfy.  PM me if you would like  more info on specific rides or how their restraints work.  I'm happy to help. :)  I just don't care to share my stats here for all to see. ;) 

I'm 5'6" and 275lbs, heaviest in my belly and hips.  We just went to KI last week (July 2017) and I was thrilled that I could still ride The Beast and The Vortex!!  The Beast was a tight fit.  The worker asked my permission to push with all his weight to get me locked in OK, but I was fine!  Rode that sucker 4 times throughout the day!  =D  The Vortex was no problem getting on or hooking in at all.  However, the ride was NOT comfortable because the U-shaped bar that comes down over your head to hold you in couldn't come down far enough to be past my ears (due to my large mid-section).  This caused my head to bounce back and forth during the ride, hitting the U-shaped restraint on either side over and over.  I was wearing studs in my pierced ears and these kept poking me in the head the more it bounced around.  It was VERY uncomfortable and I chose not to ride the ride again because of my head banging.  I got off the ride with one heck of a headache, as did my (large) husband because of his head banging the restraint as well.  The people in front of us on the ride that were normal-sized did not have the restraint up by their ears/head because their bars came down much further.  Also, I tried the test seat on the Banshee and couldn't even fit my hips in it. I wasn't hopeful, but there's my incentive to lose weight.  I'd love to ride more of the thrill rides but know I won't fit many of them (or will be uncomfortable).  3 years ago I rode the Diamondback and was scared for my life the entire time... because of my size!  I didn't feel it was safely designed for large people AT ALL, and will NOT ride that again until I lose a significant amount of weight.  

^ You can be 5' 6" and weight 105lbs like my 12 year old and still get beat to all hell by Vortex and ruin your whole day.   Some people can handle it and some can't I guess.  Science tells us repeated blows to the head are less than healthful for cognition so we will be avoiding that one for the foreseeable future.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

^ You can be 5' 6" and weight 105lbs like my 12 year old and still get beat to all hell by Vortex and ruin your whole day.   Some people can handle it and some can't I guess.  Science tells us repeated blows to the head are less than healthful for cognition so we will be avoiding that one for the foreseeable future.   

Vortex is fun but I have never come off without getting a headache! 

On 7/18/2017 at 7:50 PM, King Ding Dong said:

I'm 5'7" and you can say I'm one of the people who can handle it; I have never gotten a headache on Vortex. I must admit I have come close to getting a small headache some times, though, as some rides on it have rattled me more than others.

I can't help but feel sorry for those who can't handle Vortex's wild ride as well. Vortex is definitely not for the faint of heart (or head, for that matter. :P).