Georgia Cyclone to close permanently July 30

UGH. I'm incredibly disappointed, half because it's going away and half because I won't be able to make it there within the next two weeks.

RMC makes wonderful rides, and I'm sure their version of Georgia Cyclone will be incredible. I'm really excited to see what happens with its compact layout. Wicked Cyclone is my favorite RMC. I'm sure it will be great.

But it's not going to keep me from being sad that one of my favorite woodies is leaving. It was rough, but riding in the back row had some of the most fun airtime I've ever experienced--much like the original Cyclone. That fourth drop was one of the most underrated coaster elements currently in the industry, in my opinion. GC (and Timber Wolf at WoF) are examples of actually GOOD Dinn Corporation coasters.

Sigh. The industry announcements over the last 48 hours have not been fun for me. That's the nature of life and this industry, I guess! Time to enjoy Boss and Timber Wolf and hope they're around for a while longer...

• Like 5

Oh dang- while this was pretty much expected so I'm not surprised, it's still kinda sad to see yet another woodie bite the dust in favor of a RMC overhaul.

This move leaves only the original Coney Island Cyclone, Viper @ SFGam, and Bandit @ Movie Park Germany as the only coasters with the famous layout left according to RCDB, versus now 5 defunct coasters. Also I am kinda surprised how many companies made coasters with this particular ride layout.

BTW here is a link for this ride layout on RCDB for those curious what other rides have a "Cyclone" layout: https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&lo=96&page=1&order=8

I love how everyone is automatically assuming that it's going to get the RMC treatment when in fact we have zero evidence to suggest it will other than SIX's past history with RMC.

Anyway, I found it rough back in May, but not super-rough. It's just sad to see Six Flags continue their war against wooden coasters.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Plot twist: GCI redoes it 

I might actually cry?

Seriously, that would be great, though. It's not like Mean Streak where the existing ride wasn't much to write home about. It's got more in common with GhostRider, where the ride could be good, but the experience has degraded over the years.

I feel like SIX hasn't made many/any "we're going to try everyone out sooner or later"-type statements the way Cedar Fair has, though. That's kinda why my mind went straight to RMC. They've expressed satisfaction with how the RMC redos have been received. That, and they announced that the ride would close at the end of July instead of the end of the season like how a normal closure/teardown would be done. I'd love to be wrong.

• Like 1