What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

18 minutes ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

If the park were to build it in a way where it wraps around the carousel, wouldn't that interfere with guests ability to access Coney Mall from International Street?

To an extent, yes, but I haven't seen that path used very regularly in the past.  They would still be able to enter by Coney Confections as well as on the far side of Dodgems.

The bigger issue with that is the loss of the Skyline Patio, which does get used very heavily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Also these days safety concerns likely require the whole ride be visible by staff which limits what they can do regarding size as a staffing would be a much larger cost concern than energy.

Wouldn't a series of cameras be sufficient for that? Then you just need one person in a control booth monitoring the CCTVs.

1 hour ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

If the park were to build it in a way where it wraps around the carousel, wouldn't that interfere with guests ability to access Coney Mall from International Street?

Based on Kenban's map above, the main pathway remains intact between the red and yellow areas.

• Like 3

^ I'd celebrate! They have done some spot work, so that my favorite space isn't in a hole to collect rainwater anymore. But last time I was tooling across the lot after parking gates opened, I hit a spot so bad I was really glad I was in an SUV. 

It's not glamorous or exciting, but it's needed and won't be cheap. I'd be cool with it being the main $ project for 2018, and something much bigger coming in 2019 or 2020

• Like 6

This is an honest question for those against repaving the parking lot- would you wait until the parking lot is actual gravel?  Also, why? It's gonna get done eventually. 

Re-lining the parking lot is also in dire need as I feel the way traffic flows from the new entrance isn't quite efficient. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kenban said:

Maximum grade for the cars is 6%.  I would be looking at the large mostly flat fields around the middle of the park.  Wrap it around the carousel or around Junk lot stunt coaster.  I have provided a color coded guide to what I think are the easiest locations.  Separate areas can be linked using a bridge so there is no need for the ride to be located in a single colored area.  It would also not be too difficult to move a path or two.  I think red is the most likely location with a bridge to allow a path next to the store.  I did a quick measurement of what I think a path could look like in this area and I got a length of 1350 ft.  Which is about the normal length of these rides.

The area in yellow and purple are a little too small on their own but you can combine yellow with part of red or yellow and purple and get plenty of space.

antique cars.jpg

I think the red area would make the most sense. I always thought that area of the park was really dead compared to other parts

• Like 5

Red would work fine, they wouldn't even have to remove the skyline patio. It's basically the size of the old tiques. Keep in mind it really only used half of the land where IJST is.

I doubt we will ever get a tiques back though, and I doubt that one would be going there if we did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

This is an honest question for those against repaving the parking lot- would you wait until the parking lot is actual gravel?  Also, why? It's gonna get done eventually. 

Re-lining the parking lot is also in dire need as I feel the way traffic flows from the new entrance isn't quite efficient. 

I am sure not a popular position but I do NOT think the lot needs a total resurfacing and would be a total waste of million$.  

1) You shouldn't be driving over 5-10 mph in the isles anyway and they can just fill the potholes.  But they actually need to fill them and that is not getting done in a timely manner.   

Note: I think the standard 25mph speed limit in most residential neighborhoods is rediculously fast.  10-15 is all you need.  I have literally timed the difference and it may take an extra minute to 4-5 blocks, weigh that against the value of actually letting kids play kickball or t ball in the streets like when I was kid.  Nope, stick them in the basement and plug them into Minecraft.  

Get off my lawn! 

/end rant

2) The through traffic lanes seem to be fine to me and IIRC appear that they were resurfaced.   

3) I kind of think the mid throughput lane (between Preferred/ Handicapped and Lower Caste Parking) is a hazard and should be eliminated and replaced with a couple of direct access/barriered lanes leading from the outer (screwed up lanes)

4) Fix the cluster of the outer lanes with all the changing cones and other stupid nonsense.  They are not well marked and switching lanes constantly is nuts, just pure nuts.

5) The lot should be much safer for pedestrians.   The park is for kids or us kids at heart.  After a long hot day navigating it with wound up kids safely is a challenge I never look forward to.  

/end 2nd rant,  :D

• Like 3

Red would work fine, they wouldn't even have to remove the skyline patio. It's basically the size of the old tiques. Keep in mind it really only used half of the land where IJST is.
I doubt we will ever get a tiques back though, and I doubt that one would be going there if we did.

Or they could just remove something else?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

While looking up the satellite images of the park online, I noticed that the building that Attitudes is in is massive.  I know that part of the building is arcade, part is the old lazer maze, and then the other part is Attitudes.  Is that back part just used for storage or did it formerly have some other purpose other than the lazer maze?  When you look at the overall building it looks to be three-to-four times the size of the Coney Confections building.

• Like 4

Thanks Liz.  Yes I just found some old Haunt maps online and that is correct.  Do we think it is possible if Sorority House is going away as mentioned in another thread that they could just demolish that whole building and use that area plus the Tower Gardens area for the all-new Les Taxis.  That would also allow them to keep the Skyline Patio area as it is.  They could always relocate the arcade game and put the Attitudes store somewhere else (maybe combining it with the Coaster Connection store in Action Zone).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I always thought of the Coney Confections building as more of the entrance to Coney Mall rather than the Attitudes building.  I would love to see the Coney Mall sign come back where it used be though.

It is, but the attitudes building is still part of it IMO.

• Like 1