What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

I wonder why Kings Island just don't  put the Coney Mall  sign back up. I've seen so many people clamoring for this. It would been one of the cheapest things they have ever done IMO. Plus the positive feedback they would get from this would be priceless. They amount of people this would please is huge. I just don't know why they don't put it back up. In the grand scheme of things this would be pocket change for KI.

• Like 8

$5 says a vendor box truck or something hit it and they are waiting for a reimbursement to fix it. Or maybe they just have it down to help taller vehicles get to something over there.

When did it get taken down anyway? I hadn't even really noticed until this year.

• Like 3

The floor of the building with attitudes is the same size as the Crypts.  Both are 100' x 100'.  About half the size of Voyage to the Iron Reef at Knott's.

I have a lot of ideas which are possible but not sure how likely any of them are.  For instance I would love to see a dark ride located here but the building size would have to double.  I am thinking about the fact that we were told a haunted house would not return.  Maybe the reason that house will not be back this year is the space will not be available?

I do have to mention one possibility.  I have heard nothing about any attraction announcement date for Kings Island.  As far as I know all the Cedar Fair announcements are the 16th.  The four coasters are all being announced next week as is Carowinds.  There is a possibility we get no actual ride in 2018.

• Like 1

I was at Kings Island today and was talking with an employee at Coney Confectionary. According to her, Coney Confectionary, Coney Potato Works and Attitudes will be torn down and replaced with a smokehouse like the one at Soak City. I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but who knows? Attitudes was pretty bare today and I don't think it's that popular.

• Like 3

On the Cedar Fair conference call they mentioned that all parks would be making next year's announcements on the 16th.  We only have one more week until we find out.  

I could see see them using the Confections and Potato Works area for another smoke house and the Attitudes building area plus Tower Gardens for the Antiques.

• Like 2

I would love for the antique cars to be brought back, and I think wrapping around the carousal in the red portion of the map would be a great idea. I think it would blend nicely with both the international street theme and the coney mall theme, and without a lot of extra effort for theme-ing. And for those that are worried about the path between international street and coney mall behind the carousal KI could most likely just put a bridge in, but I really don't think it is a super popular pathway that would really upset anyone if it was removed

• Like 2

On 8/7/2017 at 10:10 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

I thought they removed it when they put up the Coke Freestyle location and then never put it back up.  It is one of the those simple things that adds a lot to an area and I hope they put it back up.

That's correct; the sign was removed prior to the 2015 season, when the Coca-Cola Marketplace was constructed. The area that houses the Coca-Cola Marketplace used to be separated from Coney Mall by a curb; the new configuration allows free flow of traffic.

Hopefully signage does make a return; the north half of Coney Mall is one of the last areas of the park not yet refurbished by Cedar Fair.

• Like 3

Would love to see the return of antique cars to KI as well adn think they'd fit in really well around the Tower Gardens area. Can keep that nicely landscaped feel around teh base of the tower but add some more activity into the area again. And of course fits in well with Coney Mall too so fits themeing for both areas it would intersect. Felt Tower Gardens was too small but if they did remove teh Attitudes building and used that whole around there with Tower Gardens and wrap around the side of the carousel that woudl give them pletny of room for a path. Would be about equal, maybe even a little bigger, then the old paths. The overall area is smaller but since there was two tracks it was kind of cut in half.

• Like 3

I too heard about the Smokehouse being built where Attitudes currently is. I'm also surprised that Potato Works and Coney Confections are also possibly leaving. That saddens me because all three buildings were around during the parks inaugural year. They add a lot to the classic amusement park midway feeling with the quaint little shop and food counter set up. As much as I would have loved to see the old Cuddle Up and Dodgem space to be utilized for something else ride wise in the same building, I don't think they could do that. It kind of worries me about a possible de-Coney Islanding of Coney Mall.

I might just be over reacting. I tend to do that at times.

• Like 3

Looking at the approximate size of the building of the Smokehouse I don't think it would take up all three buildings worth.  I think they could easily use the back part of where the Attitudes building for the Antiques and possibly put a small flat like a Tilt a Whirl or Music Express on the midway side right beside of Scrambler.

• Like 2

If Coney Confections and the Potato Works buildings are removed I cannot see the restrooms surviving.  Together with tower gardens and the attitude building that is a pretty big piece of land.  Something around 250' x 250' except for the corner where the Carousel is located.  I think that is more land than being used for the project at Knott's (around 400' x 100' I believe).

• Like 2

Personally I would like to seem more indoor attractions come in the future. After my first visit this year where it poured down rain for the first hour and only Flight of Fear and Boo  Blasters being opened, it made me wish there was more to do when it rains. Not everyone wants to go on FoF and you can only take so much of BB. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, BlondyRidesOn said:

I too heard about the Smokehouse being built where Attitudes currently is. I'm also surprised that Potato Works and Coney Confections are also possibly leaving. That saddens me because all three buildings were around during the parks inaugural year. They add a lot to the classic amusement park midway feeling with the quaint little shop and food counter set up. As much as I would have loved to see the old Cuddle Up and Dodgem space to be utilized for something else ride wise in the same building, I don't think they could do that. It kind of worries me about a possible de-Coney Islanding of Coney Mall.

I might just be over reacting. I tend to do that at times.

A new version of Island Smokehouse is going in the building where Attitudes Delta Delta Die Haunt are located. 

• Like 4

I'll be bummed if Attitudes does leave, it's a nice place to walk around in and they have some cool posters, IIRC. However, some of the merch (such as the Pokemon shirts) also have a home at the 90's store, so I'm sure the rest of the fandom type merch could go elsewhere). Also, I don't really understand why we'd need two Smokehouses as Sock City's wouldn't really be unique anymore (what I'm saying is, it's cool that people walk from the main park to the waterpark just to eat there and that exclusivity and uniqueness would be lost if there was one in the main park). Also, couldn't one get pulled pork at Reds? I dunno, I might warm up to the idea of 2 smokehouses...

• Like 4