What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

I went to the park yesterday and visited Attitudes which is looking pretty bare.  My wife asked the worker and the worker said that they are tearing down the Attitudes building and Coney Potato Works for the Smokehouse.  She did not say anything about them tearing down Coney Confections but I could see all of their merchandise at Confections being easily relocated throughout the park's other stores.  

After walking around Tower Gardens I don't think that area is going to be used for the antiques unless it is just the back part closest to the attitudes building, especially since they have already started putting up candy canes.  I think they could increase the seating with the Smokehouse compared to what it in Soak City and tear down the current Skyline Patio and using several of those areas with bridges to build the Antique ride.

wqo3lf.jpg

(The more bare Attitudes)

mcadc3.jpg

(Pic taken from the tower. This area could look a lot different soon.) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah, the problem with having the Smokehouse in Soak City is that it's not available when the waterpark isn't open, which means most of the spring season, the whole fall season, and later in the evenings in the summer. I'd love to be able to eat that pulled pork and corn pudding at Haunt, and the pulled pork at Reds Grille doesn't seem like the same.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

Yeah, the problem with having the Smokehouse in Soak City is that it's not available when the waterpark isn't open, which means most of the spring season, the whole fall season, and later in the evenings in the summer. I'd love to be able to eat that pulled pork and corn pudding at Haunt, and the pulled pork at Reds Grille doesn't seem like the same.

That's a good point, Goble; I didn't think of that. However, I do think Coney Mall would be an odd place for a smokehouse. I think a slightly better location may be near the new Coke station in Oktoberfest (possibly removing the rope ladder game so that the Coke station could connect to the restaurant*) or even turning Hank's into a BBQ smokehouse. However, we shall see what happens on Wednesday...

*EDIT: Or, removing the rope ladder game may not have to happen, since there is that patch of grass behind the Coke station (see Rivertown Rider's above picture).

• Like 4

Theory. Has anyone looked at Carowinds twitter? They've included a pic of toys representing which rides are  coming in the location of the new rideIMG_2001.JPGIMG_2003.JPGIMG_2004.JPGIMG_2005.JPG

Whats fascinating is there are permits for the relocation of buildings and ride (carousel). However, the inclusion of our old flyers is fascinating. Could we be receiving an old KI classic along with Antiques?

Photos: Carowinds via Twitter: https://twitter.com/Carowinds/status/897092581145935872

• Like 4

On 8/10/2017 at 0:40 PM, Kenban said:

If Coney Confections and the Potato Works buildings are removed I cannot see the restrooms surviving.  Together with tower gardens and the attitude building that is a pretty big piece of land.  Something around 250' x 250' except for the corner where the Carousel is located.  I think that is more land than being used for the project at Knott's (around 400' x 100' I believe).

The plan is for smokehouse to take up the building that attitudes is currently located in. Coney confections is to remain.

• Like 1

Semi-off-topic, but Bat was closed today (I was at the park from 2:20-ish to close (after 8 PM)) with an new "this attraction is not open today" sign. I was told by a fellow guest that Bat has been closed for a month; Is this true? I only ask because someone else said that may mean they are getting rid of it. Yes, I know I should probably take it with a grain of salt, but I still wanted to run it by you all to see what your opinions are.

EDIT: I also saw that Attitudes was closed today.

• Confused 1

Since we are talking about food, I got to try out the Harmony Hall Marketplace at Carowinds, and the Smokehouse Grill at the waterpark this year, and those both have some of the greatest theme park food I've ever had. I would love to have something like the Harmony Hall at a much smaller scale come to Coney Mall.

Additionally, I'm not buying the antique cars rumor for this year. I love antique cars, but I don't feel like the areas suggested would make much sense, and I feel Kings Island would do at least a little teasing for the return of a classic. What I'm thinking of for next season is a Mondial Top Scan. These have gotten rave reviews at CW and Carowinds, and trying it out this summer I learned this thing kicks butt. I feel it could easily fit where Flight Commander used to be, which is in that area to the left of Dinosaur's Alive. They even still have the platform where the ride used to be, and I feel like it's just asking to be used. If we get a Top Scan this year, get ready. You will be in for a treat

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

I was told by a fellow guest that Bat has been closed for a month; Is this true? I only ask because someone else said that may mean they are getting rid of it.

That's not true. It was closed yesterday and today, but it was operating on Saturday.

I haven't heard why it's down, but some maintenance issues can take awhile (eg. if they need a part). Hopefully it's back up soon.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I'd say the shop is likely being cleared out for something related to Haunt or Winterfest. It's WAY to soon to start construction for a restaurant.

With what they might have to land clear for the supposed restaurant I don't think it is to soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

I don't know. I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, but it's one that is easily rescheduled should an announcement be announced. Still, the more notice I can give the person I'm meeting with, the better.

If you are cancelling appointments for a potential announcement at your local amusement park, you might have an obsession.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1