What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

Is Chef Nate out?  There was a job posting for a KI Executive Chef posted on December 28, but Chef Nate tweeted on January 2?

I think he brought some fantastic offerings to the park over the past few years; I hope they are just hiring another chef and he has not left!  He is also fun to talk to!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dtk1378 said:

Only tear BLSC down if they put something in that's better and worth the loss of BLSC, the ride is a solid fun ride with the coveted 48" mark (was my daughter's favorite ride at 48" when she got there a few years ago). I understand people's displeasure with it due to the fact it got rid of the antique cars, but the ride is fun, isn't uncomfortable, and one of the few rides with some halfway decent theming in it, even if that theming has diminished over time due to the loss of the Italian Job theme. I'd argue the theme of BLSC is fourth best of the roller coasters at Kings Island behind Flight of Fear (more the queue than the ride), Banshee, & Mystic Timbers (yes, better than Adventure Express).

What if they replaced BLSC with the new S&S Steeplechase ride? That would be an amazing replacement, at least I think. Also they could Theme it much better and would fit into that area better than BLSC does. 

• Like 2

I always felt a steeplechase coaster could be a great addition. The style of the ride and horse themed vehicles would make for a nice fit for both Rivertown and Coney Mall as well and make a nice transitional type theme and attration that straddles the two. Could be a fun multi launch twister style layout as well.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jtro223 said:

Is Chef Nate out?  There was a job posting for a KI Executive Chef posted on December 28, but Chef Nate tweeted on January 2?

I think he brought some fantastic offerings to the park over the past few years; I hope they are just hiring another chef and he has not left!  He is also fun to talk to!

Haven't heard anything. That's odd though.

• Like 1

I've given him a bit of a hard time before, for "removing the wraps from dining" (a decision I don't think was even his) but I hope Chef Nate isn't leaving. I feel like a lot of positive changes have been made the past few years with him as the head chef. 

But really, the thing that impresses me most is how active he tends to be in the day-to-day operations of all the different food service locations, pitching in when needed. On many days at the beginning and ending of seasons, I've seen him in the kitchens helping with the cooking grunt work. On a handful of occasions throughout the season he's dropped into a location when I was there (just to check in that things are going well, from what I can tell) and personally assembled my order and others as long as he's there.

• Like 5

I've given him a bit of a hard time before, for "removing the wraps from dining" (a decision I don't think was even his) but I hope Chef Nate isn't leaving. I feel like a lot of positive changes have been made the past few years with him as the head chef. 
But really, the thing that impresses me most is how active he tends to be in the day-to-day operations of all the different food service locations, pitching in when needed. On many days at the beginning and ending of seasons, I've seen him in the kitchens helping with the cooking grunt work. On a handful of occasions throughout the season he's dropped into a location when I was there (just to check in that things are going well, from what I can tell) and personally assembled my order and others as long as he's there.
At my first Coasterstock, I was eating a wrap at Reds. He stopped by to ask how it was, and how I was enjoying Coasterstock. He asked to tweet my photo. Several other times I've seen him do the same as Magenta 🦎 mentioned. And I bet he's responsible for The Beast hot chocolate and cinnamon !

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

BLSC was fun when it first was around. Now that the theming is winding down and things start to not work anymore its not a good. Also whoever said it should of been in Action Zone is correct.

Bingo. I like the ride alright, but I won't wait in line for it. It has some decent theming, but it belongs in Action Zone. It always has. The Antique Cars, on the other hand, were a great fit, as well as a leisurely ride that was great for families with those who are either too young or have a condition that prevents them from riding most rides. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Agreed ^. Those cars were the best around. I can't think of a better car ride ive ever been on. It was my fav for sure. I wonder why CF doesn't keep up with BLSC. I wish the chopper still worked.

Maintenance on effects like that isn't cheap, and no one is staying home because they are mad about effects on the ride not working. Regional parks generally don't theme rides as it's not their business model. Disney and Universal can do it because they are getting $100+ a day for admissions and making more by people being there for days. They can afford to spend $100 million theming a ride and, for the most part, keeping things working. A regional park that is getting $40 a day and has a large number of pass holders usually can't justify spending extra on theming and effects that need maintenance. 

• Like 2

I am actually amazed at how well the Flight of Fear theming has been kept up.  The ride is 22 years old this year!  Yes, there have been a couple people that have helped preserve and even enhance the theming over the last several years.  

Heck, even Backlot still has the fire effect working most of the time, which is amazing considering the park has to pay for the propane to run the flame.  And Backlot itself is 12 years old this year!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I am actually amazed at how well the Flight of Fear theming has been kept up.  The ride is 22 years old this year!  Yes, there have been a couple people that have helped preserve and even enhance the theming over the last several years.  

Heck, even Backlot still has the fire effect working most of the time, which is amazing considering the park has to pay for the propane to run the flame.  And Backlot itself is 12 years old this year!

Inside effects will hold up better than outside just due to weather. You are right about the fire effect though. It's surprising they keep it going.

2 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

@fryoj But they can afford a 25 million coaster. I am sure they can keep up on theming. What you are saying is your opinion.  KI can do so they just choose not too. ^^ That's my point they keep some things going but they let others just die.

A $25 million B&M will bring thousands upon thousands of guests to the park ever year. A working helicopter blade will not. You can think that's my opinion, but the vast majority of people would agree. The fact that just about every park in the country does it the same way is further proof. Even Disney and Universal have effects on rides that don't work because it costs too more to fix them than it's worth. Can they fix it? Sure. Is it worth it for them to fix it? Obviously they don't think so. 

• Like 4

I have to wonder about the CF theming issue as well. My home park is Carowinds and when Paramount was in control, Top Gun always had misters working on The Bat wing as well as the Top Gun movie soundtrack playing in the station. I know that this is more of a visual and sound effect and not so much "theming" I guess, but you get where I'm coming from. Added to the fact that it was a movie studio, so I guess its only natural to have heavy theming.

Now that I think about it, I honestly don't recall EVER seeing the misters working since CF took over.

I think it's interesting that they might be listening to the surveys, reading forums, looking at social media e.t.c. because CF has decided to "somewhat" theme CGA's Railblazer with the massive fake rock tunnels and CP's Steel Vengence theming with it's three characters (Blackjack, Wild One and Digger) all over Instagram and Twitter. I'll reserve my judgment for the coaster theming itself when I get there in June, but I'm not anticipating a great effort on theming for whatever it's worth. Just can't wait to ride!!

I know CF will never have "highly" themed rides like what you would see in Europe, but I just hope that going forward they look at how successful MT was on it's theming and take notes from it with regard to all new coaster installs in the chain.

Sorry about derailing... now back to "what could 2018 bring?"

I want my Antique cars back. #bringbacktheTiques

• Like 4

^^ I agree. I just don't understand. Some of the "theming" is what makes certain rides awesome. I know they have a coast to keep things up and running but how many of millions of dollars do they make each season. Can't be that bad. I do hope they keep theming coaster and rides. SV and MT are awesomely themed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

^^ I agree. I just don't understand. Some of the "theming" is what makes certain rides awesome. I know they have a coast to keep things up and running but how many of millions of dollars do they make each season. Can't be that bad. I do hope they keep theming coaster and rides. SV and MT are awesomely themed.

How is SV themed? We don't really have any evidence that there will be actual theming on the ride...unless you're talking about the story which I  understand what you're saying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Ok once again Me and you will not agree on anything. You literally nit pick everything I say. I literally said I wish they would keep it up and that is my opinion. I'm not commenting on any further replies that you quote me on. I said good day.

You said "I wonder why CF doesn't keep up with BLSC." I told you why. You didn't like the answer. For whatever reason, you have a problem with me. If you hover over my user name, you can click on "ignore user" and you can be saved from having to have a problem every time I post something. 

• Like 1

Theming is one of those things that you have to fully commit to, or not. Sure, one particular theming element not working may not affect attendance or the guest experience, but the combination of many broken elements will negatively affect guest perception. If your gun doesn't work on Boo Blasters, then the screens on Mystic are frozen, then the flames don't work on Backlot, then the music doesn't play on FOF, then half of AE's animatronics don't move, it's reasonable you might feel that the park is not properly maintained and does not offer a quality experience.

It blows my mind that so many on this site believe that it is simply impossible for CF to theme their attractions. It's almost like some actively fight against the idea of theming. No one is saying that CF should build Flight of Passage, but we should expect a certain level of quality and immersion.

I highly recommend a book by David Younger entitled "Theme Park Design & The Art Of Themed Entertainment" Younger explains how operations from small family fun centers to large Disney parks benefit from a purposeful and intentional design. He explains how theming and storytelling always pay off. Any true fan of this industry should read this book.

• Like 6

On 1/10/2018 at 11:29 PM, jtro223 said:

At my first Coasterstock, I was eating a wrap at Reds. He stopped by to ask how it was, and how I was enjoying Coasterstock. He asked to tweet my photo. Several other times I've seen him do the same as Magenta  mentioned. And I bet he's responsible for The Beast hot chocolate and cinnamon

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Chef Nate isn’t responsible for The Beast hot chocolate. 

• Like 1