What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

I like the Disney People Mover.  Doubt that type of ride is headed to Ohio any time soon though.

As for the Antique Cars coming to some of the locations mentioned here.... Flight Commander pad, Tower Gardens?  Those may be good areas if it were going to be a virtual reality ride as it would never come close to fitting.  

That aside, I can't image one of those being built again.  Maintenance and fuel for the cars would be cost prohibitive over time.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dwight_Schrute said:

"have and keep" is a bit different than building new.

I don't care one way or another.  I just think it is a low possibility.

I guess I misunderstood your original cost of maintenance and fuel long term vs up front investment.

The attractions that were removed are missed.  I think many would love to see them return even if in a much smaller version.  I'd also like to see many other things return, so it will be interesting to see what happens.  I'm just extremely happy with the return of good music on IS, Winterfest and Mystic Timbers.

• Like 1

Not quite sure how anyone thinks an Antique Car ride of any size could possibly fit on the old Flight Commander spot.  How big a spot do you think that is? The only type of Antique Car ride that could sit on that spot would be the kind of ride that sits outside of grocery stores where you put a quarter in so you can move up and down a few times.  A full-fledged Antique Car attraction could never fit in such a small space.

• Like 5

^^ That's why I call for a down sizing of DA. Its huge the biggest of all CF parks from what I can tell. I just think cars in Coney Mall would be perfect. It could go under Racer and into the woods a bit then back. I know its a lot but It would be a great spot. Old cars....Coney mall. I know it wont happen but yeah.

• Like 2

Having an Antique Car attraction that follows the current path of Dinosaurs Alive and having one that sits where Flight Commander used to sit are two different ideas.  One could possibly work, the other is just way out of the question.  Too bad KI doesn't have rights to Hanna-Barbara anymore, cause you could merge a car ride with Dinosaurs Alive, have the cars shaped like Flintstone cars, and you could drive through Bedrock.  I personally wouldn't mind driving a car through the woods and seeing Dinosaurs.  That might actually be sort of neat.

• Like 7

What about in this area behind WindSeeker? Maybe extend the midway and then also repurpose the action theater? I wasn't saying follow the DA path. I was say completely remove parts of DA and have it go back in that area starting from FC old spot. I know its crazy but would be sweet. Then I was looking at over views and I found this area would be nice for the car ride. Plus they could extend the midway and use the old action theater again or repurpose it. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

I have heard rumors that Dino Store is closing soon. I know it closes before the end of each season, but each person I talked to has said that it is going away for good after this season. I don't know how much of that is true.

But if it is closing, and Dinosaurs Alive is following that path soon, that would be the perfect location to build a giga, if we end up receiving one.

• Like 4

The question I have is this: Would Kings Island and Cedar Fair be willing to add a ride like the Antique Cars? According to Gould Manufacturings website, their antique car models are gasoline powered, similar to the original ride (ours were originally built by Arrow Development). The main reason I ask this is because the park may not want to resort to installing a ride that would generate a lot of fumes, as they could possibly cause an issue with guests.

• Like 4

I have no idea how much fuel people think these use.  They run modern Honda engines which are only 9HP.  It is the same type of engine from a power tool, like a large compressor.  I think it is a GX270 engine.  Which at the full 9 HP for 8 hours will only burn 6 gallons of gas, less at idle.  Assuming 12 cars that means the entire ride burns 72 gallons of fuel a day.  Even at $5 a gallon that is only $360 a day in gas.  At current gas prices more like $180 a day in fuel. That is not the price for one car that is for 12.  I am pretty confident the park can afford it.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I have no idea how much fuel people think these use.  They run modern Honda engines which are only 9HP.  It is the same type of engine from a power tool.  I think it is a GX270 engine.  Which at the full 9 HP for 8 hours will only burn 6 gallons of gas, less at idle.  Assuming 12 cars that means the entire ride burns 72 gallons of fuel a day.  Even at $5 a gallon that is only $360 a day in gas.  At current gas prices more like $180 a day in fuel. That is not the price for one car that is for 12.  I am pretty confident the park can afford it.

Wow. Thanks for the hard numbers. That's far, far less than I thought.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

What about in this area behind WindSeeker? Maybe extend the midway and then also repurpose the action theater? I wasn't saying follow the DA path. I was say completely remove parts of DA and have it go back in that area starting from FC old spot. I know its crazy but would be sweet. Then I was looking at over views and I found this area would be nice for the car ride. Plus they could extend the midway and use the old action theater again or repurpose it. 

Capture.PNG

Firstly, putting another ride back in that area would be insane.  We used to call that area the Fuster Cluck the year WindSeeker opened.

Secondly, there is a maintenance road (the shadowed area) that goes to Vortex, so that removes a lot of that space.

Thirdly, if I recall correctly (probably don't) that area quickly starts aiming downhill.  Antique Cars probably couldn't handle that type of grade very well and it's a safety concern.

• Like 3

The price of fuel always comes up when discussing a return of the Antique cars.  I don't think a lot of people have realized that the energy used to tug multiple-ton coaster trains up lift hills all day long isn't free.

• Like 13

Really if Dinos is going away and they used part of the land for a new Antique Ride, then you could use where the current dino shop is for a flat ride and the former Flight Commander pad for another flat.  You could put an Electro Spin where Flight Commander used to be, a Music Express or Tilt a Whirl where the store is, and then the Antiques going back into the forest.  It would really improve that area of the park and I think would very feasible.  Cedar Fair said during their earnings conference call yesterday that all parks would be announcing next years additions on August 16 so we should find out soon.

• Like 3

Maximum grade for the cars is 6%.  I would be looking at the large mostly flat fields around the middle of the park.  Wrap it around the carousel or around Junk lot stunt coaster.  I have provided a color coded guide to what I think are the easiest locations.  Separate areas can be linked using a bridge so there is no need for the ride to be located in a single colored area.  It would also not be too difficult to move a path or two.  I think red is the most likely location with a bridge to allow a path next to the store.  I did a quick measurement of what I think a path could look like in this area and I got a length of 1350 ft.  Which is about the normal length of these rides.

The area in yellow and purple are a little too small on their own but you can combine yellow with part of red or yellow and purple and get plenty of space.

antique cars.jpg

• Like 9

Been 5 or six years since I have been on a car ride but a couple of things to keep in mind.   They really suck if they are to short.  SFSTL shortened theirs considerably when they put in American Thunder and it is just a waste of time now.   Also these days safety concerns likely require the whole ride be visible by staff which limits what they can do regarding size as a staffing would be a much larger cost concern than energy.  

The cars have likely been redisigned over the years but if they bumped into each other on a tight curve the bumpers would become locked requiring an attendant to come over an stand on one to get them separated.   Kids being kids we thought that was hilarious and was the whole goal.  :unsure:

• Like 3