What could 2018 bring KI

Maverick44

1 hour ago, jtro223 said:

It sounds like KIfan73 is hinting that Coney Mall will be transformed into County Fair.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Also, a new smokehouse does make sense in the context of County Fair (to me, Coney Mall's theme- well, with the exception of X-Base and Backlot - is about a classic midway and more specifically, Coney Island, and imo, a smokehouse doesn't make much since in that context). We shall see... 

• Like 3

Coney Mall really only exists on maps now. As does Rivertown, Octoberfest and Action Zone. I went into this season excited for changes that make KI more KI. But it appears the powers that be want to make our park less and less of what it was. I apologise, I'm usually not such a negative enthusiast. The music change on IS has really put me in a mood. Kind of sad that CP has less of a corporate feel than KI.

• Like 6

There's a lot more "Coney" left in Coney Mall than German theming in Oktoberfest, though. Action Zone still lives up to its name and Rivertown is slowly making a comeback with the old time look of the new Funnel Cake stand that opened last year and Mystic Timbers this season. Coney Island certainly would have evolved over time as well.

• Like 3

Coney Island Cincinnati is back not bigger than ever but back where it started, delighting families picnicers swimmers on the mighty Ohio in Cincinnati. Kings Island will always be grateful to the Park that started it all, parent was Coney the son has done just fine.

Coney mall yes the sign gone is not great for me but things change, 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, westcoaster said:

Coney Island Cincinnati is back not bigger than ever but back where it started, delighting families picnicers swimmers on the mighty Ohio in Cincinnati. Kings Oskand will akwsys be grateful to the Parl rhat started it all, parent was Coney thwvson has done just fine.

Coney mall yes the sign gone is not great for me but things change, 

Kings Oskand?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, jtro223 said:

It sounds like KIfan73 is hinting that Coney Mall will be transformed into County Fair.

At one time on these boards, that might have been called a diversion.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

It would be amazing if Coney Mall received a revamp like Carowinds did with County Fair this year.  Some "new" classic flat rides, and some new theming would really help liven up Coney Mall.  I think the light conversions that have been done on Shake Rattle and Roll and Scrambler are a great start.  But there are several areas where some flat rides could be added.  Compared to Canada`s Wonderland, Kings Island is sorely lacking in the flat ride department.

• Like 3

I believe that Coney Mall was originally called simply Coney Island from what I've seen of maps and ads from back then. 

I think it would be an absolute natural to rename it once again, along with a revamp (leading up to shall we say... more attention to the area), this time to "Coney Fair". Nods to county fairs, the parent company, and also retains the Coney Island historical reference. 

These are my own postulations, I haven't even heard rumors. 

• Like 11

There's hardly anyone that would like to see Kings Island preserve the historical accuracy of Coney Mall (I'd even vote for them to rename it Coney Island) more than me.  Having said that, how many visiting the park today in 2017 know what section of that park is themed to?  To be honest, when I was a "casual" visitor in the '90's-early '00s,  I had no idea that area was themed to the original Coney Island (I didn't even know there was such a thing).  In 1972, it was completely understandable to dedicate an area to what was, merely months earlier, one of the most popular amusement parks in the world that was closed down in order to build this new Kings Island park.

I bet you could ask 1,000 people on a given day in Coney Mall (is there even technically such a thing now?) and ask them why the area looks like it does, and I doubt if 5 people could tell you.

• Like 3

I understand your points, KIfan73.  But to bury history because current generations are ignorant of it would be a mistake.

This is a strong point of Carowinds.  They embrace the past as they change.  

I am not in the industry, but in my own biased opinion, the only reason to move away from the Coney name is if there is a legal issue going on with Coney Island.  I would hope that was decided when the previous owners of both parks dissolved their relationships.

• Like 6

I wonder if it would make sense for the smokehouse rumored to be coming to Coney Mall to be like a version of Harmony Hall at Carowinds.  This would serve several purposes: you could have several different food areas (like a BBQ section, an Italian section, a fresh grill, maybe you could even move Skyline in there as well); it would also give you additional indoor entertainment space; and it would give more indoor seating.  

Festhaus is typically busy and it would make sense to build another indoor space for the reasons stated above.  If they also put a space in there for Skyline it would allow them to gut the current Skyline building and patio area and use those areas for expansion as well as being able to have a more efficient Skyline space.  If they take the Attitudes building and the Potato Works building that gives quite a bit of space plus they could also use part of the Gardens area to build a Harmony Hall like building.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jtro223 said:

I understand your points, KIfan73.  But to bury history because current generations are ignorant of it would be a mistake.

This is a strong point of Carowinds.  They embrace the past as they change.  

I am not in the industry, but in my own biased opinion, the only reason to move away from the Coney name is if there is a legal issue going on with Coney Island.  I would hope that was decided when the previous owners of both parks dissolved their relationships.

I would argue that Mystic Timbers was the first addition to the park in maybe 30 years that truly fits in with the original "theme" of the area that it sits in, so maybe there is hope!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I wonder if it would make sense for the smokehouse rumored to be coming to Coney Mall to be like a version of Harmony Hall at Carowinds.  This would serve several purposes: you could have several different food areas (like a BBQ section, an Italian section, a fresh grill, maybe you could even move Skyline in there as well); it would also give you additional indoor entertainment space; and it would give more indoor seating.  

Festhaus is typically busy and it would make sense to build another indoor space for the reasons stated above.  If they also put a space in there for Skyline it would allow them to gut the current Skyline building and patio area and use those areas for expansion as well as being able to have a more efficient Skyline space.  If they take the Attitudes building and the Potato Works building that gives quite a bit of space plus they could also use part of the Gardens area to build a Harmony Hall like building.

While I agree with the idea somewhat, putting another festhaus type deal that close to festhaus isn't really the best idea, IMO. It would be better to build it towards the back of coney mall. Spread the crowds out more.  

• Like 1

^ While I agree that it is close to Festhaus I think it would work if you have some different food choices there than you have at Festhaus.  I did some measuring using Google Earth and it appears that the Attitudes building is about 100 feet wide x 115 length (or approximately 11,500 sq ft). If you took out the Coney Potato Works building you could add the Harmony Hall Marketplace area on to the existing Attitudes building where Potato Works is now.   According to the Carowinds site, Harmony Hall is 26,500 feet.  To make a perfect square you would have to make it approximately 163x163.  While Harmony Hall is not a perfect square I don't know that you would have to make it exactly like Harmony Hall.  If you go width wise 163 would take you just past the existing Potato Works building.  163 length wise would take you to about where the blacktop starts curving around by the Carousel.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

I was talking with someone who works at the park about the restaurant coming to the Attitudes building and whether it was going to have indoor seating (I was thinking that they might be trying to add more for Winterfest) and he said he didn't think so. I pointed out that it was going to suck to only have the Festhaus to eat inside and that they should open the International Restaurant (although mostly it's my continuing mission to be able to go back up there regularly).  He reminded me of Reds, which I actually had mostly forgotten about when thinking about indoor eating at Winterfest...

Assuming the new restaurant won't have indoor seating and/or won't be ready for Winterfest, I hope something is done for RHoFG to be able to serve more people easily. I think it would be wonderful to have a buffet as an option in there, possibly as a dining plan upcharge like Fright Feast. It would make it accommodate a lot of customers without a whole lot of extra staff. There is more seating than ever seems to be able to be used without the lines for ordering heading out the door. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

I would argue that Mystic Timbers was the first addition to the park in maybe 30 years that truly fits in with the original "theme" of the area that it sits in, so maybe there is hope!

Mystic Timbers is wonderfully themed.  The park did a wonderful job with it.  But it wasn't themed to the original Rivertown.  It's kind of an oddity that the Miami Riiver Lumber Co fits in so well, but would have been abandoned 11 years after the park opened.

Not to be argumentative, but I just want Coney to stay Coney.  And I want instrumental music back on International Street.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, BuckeyeBond said:

I wonder if KI will also add the Pre-K pass? I hope they do.

I would be very surprised.   When you have a product considered the best available (kids area) businesses tend not to give it away for free.  But for all the people that have smaller children I hope so as well.  

• Like 1