Steel Vengeance to open in 2018 at Cedar Point

First off, this thing is an absolute beast. The most airtime in the WORLD! That's one of many things Steel Vengeance will bring to the table. 

I also really like the logo and the name. The name itself I didn't see coming or hear anyone predict it. Which makes it even more special. I like how they made "Steel" actually steel looking and made Vengeance wood looking. Really representing the fact it is a hybrid coaster. 

I also really like the intro they did. Intro video: 

Screenshot_20170816-130324.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, firstnline said:

I have a feeling Coastermania tickets will be in high demand and sell out quickly. Not only that, the entrance gate by Magnum will be jam packed all season next year.

They are already addressing some of that this seasons as you cannot park in the CPS lot until 9:30 as and CPS ERT starts at 10:30.   (Of course this won't stop @Malem as he will just sprint from the Marina gate and be front row, first train every time)

Ryan and I just got back from CP and two front row rides on Maverick.  This has the potential of edging out Maverick as my favorite coaster but has some pretty big shoes to fill.   In addition the current restraints on Maverick are the most comfortable (for me) of ANY coaster I have ever been on steel or wood.   (Even The Bat/Iron Dragon or Diamondback my second favorite.)  

They are going to have to rent some barges and park them in the bay to hold the que for this thing next season.   :D

Ryan is already asking me to get him a copy of Planet Coaster for his birthday.   A little reluctant as I have bought RCT 1-3 for a few bucks on a Steam sale and he hasn't touched them.  

Great meeting Chris for the first time and seeing Pioanoman again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would have reacted to this yesterday, but alas I was busy. However, I will leave my thoughts now...

...HOLY TOLEDO THIS RIDE LOOKS INCREDIBLE. Over 200 feet tall, first coaster with a wooden structure since Son of Beast to go that high (even though it is steel track). Which also- as the marketing clearly said- makes it the tallest and fastest of all steel/wood hybrid coasters. All 4 inversions looks great, and it promises more airtime than any other coaster period, which to me is the biggest selling point. I also love how they made a backstory about Frontier Town and how this ride came to be, and they even included Maverick in the story. In fact I am quite happy Cedar Fair under Ouimet has started doing this for the new coasters- I enjoy it when they have backstories.

A lot of awesome new coasters were announced yesterday. 2018 in general already looks stacked, and this- at least for now- looks to sit on top of that stack. Unless Six Flags or someone does something really crazy or something. This will be hard to top, however...

• Like 1

Something to think about, but these hybrid coasters are not indeed a first of their kind. Gemini at Cedar Point has wood supports and steel track. Plus, there are several other examples, i.e just about any Arrow mine train coaster. They are first in a sense of re-tracked wooden coasters with this type of track used, but still...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

^Fantastic!   Maybe they will go ride Corkscrew instead.  

Yeah! Well the other day someone said they thought Corkscrew was way smoother than Maverick... (with the new restraints)

13 hours ago, silver2005 said:

TBF, they may have the NTAG incident on their minds.   

That's what I thought at first, but the more they talked the more I realized they thought this was the first roller coaster to ever do this.

After watching the POV, I noticed there only seemed to be one train running around the track. This got me wondering whether or not during normal 3 train operation we would see another train while riding throughout the course. So, with assumptions that the Steel Vengeance crew hits their intervals and the POV is real operational speed, I decided to put math to use.

CP says 1200 people per hour (pph) with 24 passengers per train. 1200/24=50 trains per hour (cycles). Knowing there are 3600 seconds per hour, 3600/50=72 seconds per cycle. Here's where the POV comes in handy.

It takes 45 seconds for the train to leave the station and crest the lift hill. At the 72 second mark, we make our first pass under the lift hill, at which time the next train will be leaving the station. 45 seconds from there, the train behind us will be cresting the lift hill while we are enjoying the frenetic airtime pops before the brake run (next to the first drop).

So assumptions in mind, we will hopefully be able to see another train while riding Steel Vengeance (similar to seeing the finishing 'helix' train while going down the first drop on The Beast). It would be a brief interaction though, and I think most people would be too preoccupied with the enormous drop or the face-melting airtime pops.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, coasterguy15 said:

After watching the POV, I noticed there only seemed to be one train running around the track.

I didn't see any in the station at the end of the POV. I'm assuming that it just had one train in this animation. That would of been cool to see another train. 

Wonder if there is going to be bins or not?

Screenshot_20170817-153241.png

(Screenshot of Cedar Point's POV Video) 

6 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Lumber in general has been getting really expensive and the starting off new I imagine would require new footings and probably removal of all the old ones.   MS has a ton of footings.  Did they dig up all the old ones for SOB or just bury them?

There still is many footers under the old Son of Beast station/modern wolf pack maze. Along with the station track as well.

5 hours ago, JubJester said:

Yeah! Well the other day someone said they thought Corkscrew was way smoother than Maverick... (with the new restraints)

More evidence of the ravages of the opioid epidemic in Ohio.  

4 hours ago, coasterguy15 said:

It would be a brief interaction though, and I think most people would be too preoccupied with the enormous drop or the face-melting airtime pops.

Remember all the people last year praising the "interaction" between MT and WWC?   Has anyone even noticed WWC exists while riding MT?  I sure haven't.  

• Like 2

My guess (having not yet ridden White Water Canyon this year) is that White Water Canyon riders are far more likely to notice Mystic Timbers than Mystic Timbers riders are to notice White Water Canyon. So there is interaction, but only from one side for the most part.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2017 at 7:55 AM, MDMC01 said:

My friend sent me an e-mail this morning with an article about Mean Streak Henry, and that got me thinking... I wonder what his thoughts are on Steel Vengeance?

I talked to him at the announcement, he is excited for it, and believes it will be a fun ride. Henry will still use the Mean Streak moniker, as that is what he is known for.

On 8/17/2017 at 1:05 PM, JubJester said:

I find corkscrew smoother and much more comfortable than Maverick. Even with the new restraints I find Maverick uncomfortable and always get off in pain. Corkscrew I can ride with out any issues.

• Like 2