Steel Vengeance to open in 2018 at Cedar Point

1 hour ago, PhantomTheater said:

I find corkscrew smoother and much more comfortable than Maverick. Even with the new restraints I find Maverick uncomfortable and always get off in pain. Corkscrew I can ride with out any issues.

I will get you a referral to a good treatment clinic.  :D

Interesting how individual taste can be so drastically different as I find Maverick and it's restraints the most comfortable of any coaster, hands down.   Are you tall?   I saw them pull a tall guest out of the train and check his height Wednesday, he just passed. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/september-construction-update

Recently, Cedar Point and Tony Clark released a new update regarding Steel Vengeance. RMC is making excellent progress and track work is 95% finished. The top of the lift and the first drop are expected to be finished in the upcoming week. Mechanical work (Computer systems, Braking systems and the lift) as well as clean-up is expected to begin in October. If everything goes smoothly testing may begin as early as December. Spring of 2018 holds many anticipated rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

https://mobile.twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/913514200428838912

ad0445dda196ace11bbdd2283a0545bd.png

eb10f342f519f325015366851a60c642.png

In follow up to my other post, Steel Vegeanance was topped off today at its max height of 205 feet. Huge shoutout to the RMC crew as well as Cedar Point. I have a really strong feeling that this ride may truly be the best RMC and dare I say best steel coaster, we will have to wait until May to judge.

• Like 4

^
This kind of shocks me: Cedar Point is WAY ahead with six 200'+ roller coasters. I am looking over on the RCDB page, sorted by height, and it seems no one else has more than two over 200'.

A few of the parks that have 2...

Six Flags Magic Mountain (Goliath + Superman: Escape from Krypton) (X2 would be a 3rd but it is only 175 feet tall with a 215 foot drop)

Six Flags Great Adventure (Nitro + Kingda Ka)

Six Flags Over Texas (Titan + Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast)

Carowinds (Fury 325 + Intimidator)

Canada's Wonderland (Leviathan + Behemoth)

Fuji Q Highland (Eejanaika + Fujiyama)

...and I may have missed one or two but I think that's it. Heck, in 2009, Kings Island would have made this during the brief period when both Son of Beast and Diamondback operated at the park!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I find it highly unlikely testing will begin in December. I'd assume trains won't arrive until early 2018.

If they think it could be testing in December, then I would go with that. This project has gone on well long enough to have the trains ready by then.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

If they think it could be testing in December, then I would go with that. This project has gone on well long enough to have the trains ready by then.

They didn't say it would be ready by December for testing. 

Tony Clark said:

I'm hoping for an early Christmas present (the first ride), but just to set expectations: that's not likely!

Source: https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/september-construction-update

That's a tongue and cheek comment from Tony Clark....not to mention no where did he say the word December. 

No matter how long the project has been going on.....the trains will be ready when they are ready, when they are scheduled to be ready and when they are scheduled to arrive to the park per contracts not because the placement of the final steel is finished and/or the electrical systems are done....which I know those probably won't be done until the beginning of the year with the conversations I've had with the folks at IOE. 

• Like 1

It seems as if Steel Vengeance's track work is 99% finished, as it appears only one to two pieces of track have yet to be installed. Today, the first piece of vertical, first drop track was placed onto the structure. I'm sure by this time next week mechanical work will have already started.

f994d5227c8121db8c3e04fe5d825f5a.jpg

93a3dd048b390a17e8a39c814a478f8f.jpg

43cbd84a4ec26569613ac07be83000af.jpg

Do you think, if done with maximum efficiency, this project could have been completed in one year?

credit on photos: Cedar Point 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Wow, that drop is steep; can't wait to ride next year!

Also, random question, has Cedar Point ever had a Winter event (like Winterfest)?

They have a Winter Chill Out which is a massive behind the scenes your in February. Sure they'll do a tour of Steel Vengeance this year.

• Like 2

I have heard of Winter Chill out, but I meant like park-wise Holiday event for guests, like Winterfest or Festival of Lights. I was wondering as I could see CP potentially having a Winterfest if things are successful at the Cedar Fair parks doing it this year.

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

I have heard of Winter Chill out, but I meant like park-wise Holiday event for guests, like Winterfest or Festival of Lights. I was wondering as I could see CP potentially having a Winterfest if things are successful at the Cedar Fair parks doing it this year.

I imagine it would be really impractical for CP to hold a WinterFest considering the weather up there is a bit harsher than Cincinnati because of its location on Lake Erie. They tend to get a lot more snow and below freezing temps. Not exactly the most comfortable situation for guests.

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing @TombRaiderFTW; that was a very interesting (and sort of eerie) video. It seemed eerie as there was almost nothing going on except for the carriage rides and the main Carousel's operation (also, most of the rides had been taken apart). However, it was interesting to see an unpainted (or differently painted, perhaps?) WildCat.

• Like 1

And people thought that the Winterfest held at KI and Carowinds in 2005 was "Walking in an empty winter wonderland."  That was completely empty.

Keep in mind that in the winter months, the city of Sandusky has a vastly smaller population than the metro area of Cincinnati.  Not to mention as others have mentioned, all the lake effect snow and that is a recipe for not a lot of people attending.

That was still a fun video to see.  Especially without Millenium Force at the Point, and seeing the Giant Wheel back by the train station.

• Like 4

Recently, the track work for Steel Vengeance was 100% completed. We were lucky enough to have Tony Clark shoot a video of this historic event. The RMC installation crew will he heading down to Doswell for the next few months to complete Twisted Timbers. Both rides will likely get rave reviews next year. To note, I find it funny that Tony Clark joked about the testing process :lol:.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

In person? Looks like a digital photo to me ;)

TBH the from of the train looks bland to me. You think they’d have more decoration on them to be more steampunk. It almost looks like they went to Spirit Halloween on a Dollar Tree budget to decorate the front of the train. 

• Like 2