Steel Vengeance to open in 2018 at Cedar Point

For those who could not attend media day, Cedar Point's Youtube Page has put up the official POV:

Yeah, it looks amazing IMO. I can't wait until May, when my sister, me, and a group of friends are going up there again (went twice in 2017) and I will finally be able to ride this monster. (Visited on the last Saturday of 2017 and saw it with the track completed and it looked amazing even then.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Also, the real question is: is it better than Maverick?

Maverick going into today was my number one favorite roller coaster. I don't want to "jump the gun" so it will be a while before I make up my mind. It's amazing those two are right next to each other. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I would assume so, due to how often I see them in shops. 

The gift shop was actually somewhat sparse, but still some cool items. The pin was actually disappointing. I was hoping it would be three demential metal, but it was basically a sticker on a plastic pin.

They did give everyone in attendance a super cool gift, however. A piece of Mean Streak with a SV metal plaque attached.

All in all, the day was great, and the ride was absolutely insane!

• Like 3

It was such an incredible day! My first media day experience and being a part of the world premiere of one the most, if not the most anticipated coasters ever, was something I'll never forget. Thank you Cedar Point for putting on such an incredible event and for bringing us this world class coaster along with RMC. It became my new #1 after my first ride. 8 rides later, it holds that title even firmer, and I'd dare say it's the best coaster on the planet.

I'll be posting a full photo trip report soon with in-depth analysis and opinions on the ride, but for now, WOW. What a truly legendary ride.

steve.jpg

• Like 10

I think this was the first coaster that the airtime was long enough and often enough that I started thinking, just how high off the seat am I?  Because while I was in the station it felt like I was firmly planted down with the restraint but in the second half of the ride I will claim I was 4 inches off that seat.  Obviously not possible but it felt like it.

On media day the MCBR was completely off and there were no trims anywhere as far as I could tell.  I doubt this will last the season, it might not even still be true this weekend.  When it was in the 40's in the morning the ride was running what felt like at the time a standard speed and there was plenty of airtime.  While the ride was aggressive I felt like it would be possible to ride over and over again, part of which I attributed to the new trains.  In the afternoon as it warmed up into the 60's I was no longer confident that many people would be willing to ride multiple times.  I would bet the ride was going at least 10 MPH faster by 1 PM when media day ended.  The airtime is going to be powerful enough to bruise by the time summer rolls around.  It was already becoming painful for multiple riders by the afternoon.

Also the lift hill is crazy loud.  I do not think I have ever heard another lift hill this loud before.  I was trying to yell at the person sitting next to me on the train and we were having difficulty hearing each other.  There is a significant piece of the line in the structure for the lift as you near the station, and this is very close to the campgrounds.  I cannot imagine that this will not be modified.

I am confident we are looking at the ride which will be considered the best new coaster of 2018.  But I doubt that it will be considered the best ride in the world, except by select coaster enthusiasts.  It is just too aggressive and powerful, Fury 325 is likely to keep the top spot, Fury is the ride for the whole family, while this feels like this ride is aimed at a much smaller audience.  I really enjoyed my rides and I enjoyed the first half more in the afternoon after the ride had warmed up, but found the airtime in the second half to be too strong and prefered how it was in the morning.  I rarely say this but I would like to see trims on the MCBR or just use the MCBR to slow down trains when they are running too fast.

I am not one to try to break down a coaster element by element, so I will leave that to others.  But I really do want to recommend people make a trip up to Cedar Point to experience it for themselves.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I think this was the first coaster that the airtime was long enough and often enough that I started thinking, just how high off the seat am I?  Because while I was in the station it felt like I was firmly planted down with the restraint but in the second half of the ride I will claim I was 4 inches off that seat.  Obviously not possible but it felt like it.

On media day the MCBR was completely off and there were no trims anywhere as far as I could tell.  I doubt this will last the season, it might not even still be true this weekend.  When it was in the 40's in the morning the ride was running what felt like at the time a standard speed and there was plenty of airtime.  While the ride was aggressive I felt like it would be possible to ride over and over again, part of which I attributed to the new trains.  In the afternoon as it warmed up into the 60's I was no longer confident that many people would be willing to ride multiple times.  I would bet the ride was going at least 10 MPH faster by 1 PM when media day ended.  The airtime is going to be powerful enough to bruise by the time summer rolls around.  It was already becoming painful for multiple riders by the afternoon.

Also the lift hill is crazy loud.  I do not think I have ever heard another lift hill this loud before.  I was trying to yell at the person sitting next to me on the train and we were having difficulty hearing each other.  There is a significant piece of the line in the structure for the lift as you near the station, and this is very close to the campgrounds.  I cannot imagine that this will not be modified.

I am confident we are looking at the ride which will be considered the best new coaster of 2018.  But I doubt that it will be considered the best ride in the world, except by select coaster enthusiasts.  It is just too aggressive and powerful, Fury 325 is likely to keep the top spot, Fury is the ride for the whole family, while this feels like this ride is aimed at a much smaller audience.  I really enjoyed my rides and I enjoyed the first half more in the afternoon after the ride had warmed up, but found the airtime in the second half to be too strong and prefered how it was in the morning.  I rarely say this but I would like to see trims on the MCBR or just use the MCBR to slow down trains when they are running too fast.

I am not one to try to break down a coaster element by element, so I will leave that to others.  But I really do want to recommend people make a trip up to Cedar Point to experience it for themselves.

Trims, to much airtime?  Maybe your getting old.B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tera Ryzing said:

For those that have ridden.  Does the front or back seat provide the most violent ejector air?  I only got one shot monday before I head back in a couple weeks.

The speed of the train which changed along with temperature made more of a difference then where you were sitting.  All of the violent ejector air is at the end of the ride after the MCBR.  The group I was in agreed that the ejector air is more powerful in the front.  None of us got a front row ride to my knowledge but we did ride in the second row and multiple rides in the back row.

My guess is that you will prefer the back of the train before the MCBR and the front of the train after the MCBR.

• Like 1

I'm seeing multiple people post on Facebook and on PointBuzz that two trains collided in Steel Vengeance's station and first responders are on scene. 

Have not seen anything else other than this to clarify or provide proof.

Mods, please delete this if it violates the TOS. Thanks!

• Like 1

Seen a bunch of reports of the same thing. Very disappointing. Just booked my Breakers Express room this morning and was going to get Fast Lane tomorrow. Considering scrapping the whole thing and waiting since the state will have to inspect now.

• Like 1

The Sandusky Register has the official statement from the park. http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201805050006

“At approximately 1:30 p.m., a Steel Vengeance train returning to the station lightly bumped a parked train in the loading station,” spokesman Tony Clark told the Register. “There were guests on both trains. Four guests requested a review at the ride by the park’s first aid team and went back into the park. All other guests left the ride and continued their visit.

“Steel Vengeance is currently closed while the incident is under review. There is no further information at this time.”

• Like 1