Steel Vengeance to open in 2018 at Cedar Point

I'll be up at the park next Saturday. If it's open and I'm able to ride it, that's great. If not, I'll be back up there hopefully a few more times during the season. 

I'm thinking that the state may require an inspection on it, but I'm not 100% for certain on this.

Posts I've seen are speculating that RMC and IOE will have to make adjustments to the ride.

• Like 1

Well, this is unfortunate news... :(

I'll be going to the park in 9 days, but even if Steel Vengeance is closed, I'm still pumped about Valravn, Rougarou, Millennium Force, Maverick, Dinos, Wicked Twister, Iron Dragon...

• Like 3

Wow- not what Cedar Point wanted, I am 99.999% sure. I did a quick look on Pointbuzz, and a user on there named Magnum-Man says he was on the stairs, and he saw the "Chess" train blow a wheel or something mid-course, because it began to shake badly and when it returned to the station it smelled awful. "Digger" went out, ran the course normally, and when it came into the final brake run it stopped hard but slipped through, bumping into Chess. (Blackjack was apparently not in operation) No one was seriously hurt, but a few people did get minor whiplash and were treated by EMT's. I don't know how true this is or not, but it was what I have heard.

The ride is apparently testing now with 1 of the trains (I'd guess it is either Digger or Blackjack, probably not Chess if she did blow a wheel) but no one is sure if it is gonna re-open today. 3 train operation is probably months off, at least. With Twisted Timbers at Kings Dominion also having issues (I saw a video taken from the station on Youtube of them having to cut the transfer track because it got stuck) this is not a good look, reliability wise, for RMC's Cedar Fair debut. Hopefully these issues get ironed out before the season hits peak (around July) because the reviews for these rides have been great, and if they are down for various reasons when people visit, you are gonna have to deal with a LOT of angry guests. I am going back to Cedar Point in 2 weeks, and I hope Steel Vengeance is open then, though as MDMC01 said, even if it is not there are plenty of other great roller coasters and thrill rides I could enjoy instead (though even if SV is open I do not expect it to be using 3 trains, I see it using 2 maximum).

• Like 2

It will likely run with 1 train until the brake area can be modified.  Lightning Run had a similar incident to this when it was new.  The original transfer area on that only had friction wheels which were not enough to fully stop the loaded train in pouring down rain.  There are a few brakes in that area now.

• Like 1

I saw a post over on PointBuzz a couple of days ago that the chassis of these trains (and the ones at KD) are different than the other RMC installs in previous years. I wonder if this is something that could be contributing to the issues at both parks. Another difference between the CF RMC trains and the others is the restraint has one hinge that is central whereas the older RMC installs have a U-Bracket.

• Like 1

I saw an article posted on Facebook about this and naturally, there were comments saying, "See, this is why I don't ride rollercoasters." I'll say it multiple times, I feel a thousand times safer when I am on a rollercoaster than when I'm in  a car. 

• Like 6

Based on the comments, they are only letting enough people in line to fill the first set of switchbacks. 

Right now, I'm planning on being up there at rope drop Saturday morning, so it'll be an early one. Leaving at 5:00am. Have to get back there early and get a boarding pass, if they're still doing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

So I have to ask- what's the .001%?  

silver2005, asking questions. 

The very tiniest possibility that someone is in charge at Cedar Point is secretly evil and wanted to anger their guests, not caring for how much money it could cost them. :P (I seriously doubt anyone at CP has this line of thought though- pretty sure they LOVE money.)

And the fact almost nothing can be 100% guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not a good look for RMC’s grand debut with Cedar Fair.

I’m wondering if/how this will impact RMC’s reputation in the industry. This is obviously not their first time with issues at opening.

I’m also curious to see if/how this impacts the public perception of Steel Vengeance - especially if more issues follow.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, coasterfanatic2012 said:

I’m also curious to see if/how this impacts the public perception of Steel Vengeance - especially if more issues follow.

Who knows. I remember someone yelling at Cedar Point on Facebook last year for scaring their mother during Haunt while in a maze. 

That's what you're dealing with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I mean, all coasters have their hiccups the first few weeks, but a brake/block failure is a bit more on the serious side.  

I also don't get why RMC is changing up their rolling stock so often.  Why can't they come up with a design they're comfortable with and stick with it? 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I also don't get why RMC is changing up their rolling stock so often.  Why can't they come up with a design they're comfortable with and stick with it? 

1 hour ago, chugh43 said:

Why would they have one model/design and stick with it? Variety is the spice of life.

Part of remaining in business is being willing to improve your product when needed. Improving products takes time away from other tasks that also need to be accomplished. The time it takes to make improvements has a cost associated with it.

Improvements, especially on the scale of RMC's newest-generation trains, don't happen on a whim.

RMC is also a very young company in terms of how long they've been building their own rides, so I'm personally not shocked to see changes like this. I've heard bits and pieces around the Internet indicating their original trains were kind of a pain to work on, too.

• Like 4

On 5/5/2018 at 11:08 PM, FoF96" said:

It will likely run with 1 train until the brake area can be modified.  Lightning Run had a similar incident to this when it was new.  The original transfer area on that only had friction wheels which were not enough to fully stop the loaded train in pouring down rain.  There are a few brakes in that area now.

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but if Lightning Run had a similar issue, then you think the design would change up since the same issue has come up before and a change was made. Does this seem too obvious? 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 5:14 PM, coasterfanatic2012 said:

Not a good look for RMC’s grand debut with Cedar Fair.

I’m wondering if/how this will impact RMC’s reputation in the industry. This is obviously not their first time with issues at opening.

I doubt this event will have any impact on the reputation of RMC in the industry.  While it is an RMC coaster it was Irvine Ondrey Engineering who did the control system for this ride.  Basically IOE was responsible for all of the sensors, buttons, controls, PLC, and programming.  IOE is well known and respected, I doubt this one incident will have much of an impact.  Just an FYI, IOE did the control system for Mystic Timbers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I doubt this event will have any impact on the reputation of RMC in the industry.  While it is an RMC coaster it was Irvine Ondrey Engineering who did the control system for this ride.  Basically IOE was responsible for all of the sensors, buttons, controls, PLC, and programming.  IOE is well known and respected, I doubt this one incident will have much of an impact.  Just an FYI, IOE did the control system for Mystic Timbers.

Mystic is also IOE.. and last season had an issue and that why it went down to 2 trains last season for a couple weeks

• Like 3