Steel Vengeance to open in 2018 at Cedar Point

I have a therory, I think it was a combination of mechanical and programming, although it is unlikely we will know for certain.

Eye witness accounts claim both trains were in motion, and that the front train was moving slowly.  It has also been reported that there was a strange burning smell, and something was making a lot of noise.  People assumed it was a bad wheel on the front train, but I think they are wrong.  

I think a drive motor in the station failed.  That is the source of the burning smell and noise, plus it can account for the slow dispatch.  This allowed the second train to catch up.  Eye witnesses also report seeing the second train brake suddenly, I think something or someone realized what was about to happen and e-stopped the ride.  Unfortunately the second train did not stop quickly enough to prevent the accident.  

It used to be that when a train was dispatched the next train would not start moving until the station was completely clear.  Today coasters frequently use a moving block where both trains are moved at the same time to minimize the time the station is empty.  The computer should still be maintaining a safe distance at all times and obviously it failed this time.  

One thing we do not know and it could completely change how Cedar Fair views this accident is what stopped the trains?  If the computer triggered an e-stop then it caught the problem except it was just a second too late, not a huge deal just increase the minimum distance or add a few more sensors.  If a ride op caught it and the computer missed the block violation completely, that’s a sign something is really wrong.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KIBeast said:

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but if Lightning Run had a similar issue, then you think the design would change up since the same issue has come up before and a change was made. Does this seem too obvious? 

Perhaps, but LR is a different manufacturer with a different setup before the station.  On SV the transfer area is after the station on LR the transfer area is used as the block behind the station.  When it happened at KK it didn’t make the news but if you look at the front of the purple train you can tell it was reworked as the pointed part on the front is a completely different shade of purple than the rest of it.

• Like 1

I wonder if that means one train operations this weekend as well.    Will be there Saturday afternoon because the school orchestra is going to Sandusky for a performance in the morning then heading to the park.  As long as most of the other rides are running it should be fine.  I have already prepped the boys that we will not likely be riding SV this time.  

• Like 1

I would think so. I have an exit pass from last Saturday that's good for one time use any day. I waited 5 hours on Saturday and because of the incident didn't get to ride. I definitely will not wait in a long line again for Steel Vengeance until is up to full capacity.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PKIVortex said:

Noticed on the Cedar Point website that Steel Vengeance had been removed from the list of Fast Lane rides. I bet it will be one train for quite awhile.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See also: Twisted Timbers

https://www.kingsdominion.com/tickets-passes/fast-lane

One train operation...

• Like 2

A boarding pass is a much better experience than waiting in an excessively-long physical line. My only concern is that some guests will find a way to hoard them to get several rides.

A return to the Freeway system from Millennium Force's first few seasons might be the fairest solution. You can't hold more than one return time when it's stamped on your hand.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, malem said:

A return to the Freeway system from Millennium Force's first few seasons might be the fairest solution. You can't hold more than one return time when it's stamped on your hand.

While implementation might be an issue.  Every guest should have a ticket with a unique barcode.  Scan the tickets and they can be certain each ticket can only be used for a single pass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malem said:

A boarding pass is a much better experience than waiting in an excessively-long physical line. My only concern is that some guests will find a way to hoard them to get several rides.

I seem to remember getting a handstamp with a return time for Top Thrill Dragster its opening year- I chickened out, though. 

Also, the good news is, I plan on hitting Steel Vengeance 1st thing Tuesday morning (Monday is going to be my "prep" day where I ride Valravn and other stuff first), so I think I'll have the best chance at a minimal wait (maybe?). Like KDD told his kids, there's also the possibilty thst I may not get to ride SV at all next week.

• Like 2

It was a 2 hour wait on Saturday right after opening and was running one train. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride as the light on the test seat didn't turn green. Starting to think now that I should have maybe chanced it as I tried the test seat at Lightning Rod and it didn't turn green and ended up riding once I boarded.

Hardly any crowds Saturday. We got Magnum, Maverick, Rougarou, Millennium Force, and Raptor (rain ride- pants have rust water on them now!) in by 1:00pm. By the end of the night, got in everything except Iron Dragon, Steel Vengeance, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

5 rides on Millennium Force Saturday- 4 of those in a 25 minute timespan as it was a walk on. The op on unload was letting people exit through the handicapped entrance and bypass walking around. The last ride was a rain ride and in Row 2 at that, which felt like needles at 93 mph!

• Like 1

I finally rode Steel Vengeance on Friday, and it's an amazing ride that starts out great and only gets better. The ending rivals that of The Beast, twisting through the structure during the second half of the ride for headchoppers galore. It's best experienced at night with the full lighting package.

I'm a big fan of the smaller RMC coasters for their raw intensity. Steel Vengeance doesn't quite match the violent ejector airtime on Wicked Cyclone, for instance, but it more than makes up for it with good pacing, abundance of airtime, and sheer variety of elements. It's definitely among my favorite coasters already, despite only having two rides thus far.

For those looking to take a last ride at the end of the night, get there early. Lines for major rides are apparently now closing with the park, rather than 8 minutes later as was previously the case. We were held back by a train leaving the Frontiertown station until 10:01pm, causing those of us waiting on the gate to open to miss the final ride.

• Like 6

I think on busy nights they are also cutting SteVes queue early. Which is understandable. That's a lot of people to have to be away again in the morning to stay an extra 3 hours or so, let alone ****ing off a bunch of people if the ride where to break down and they had to turn them away totally empty handed.

• Like 1

Got 4 rides today. It's a crazy insane coaster. Sticks out from the other RMCs not with any specific elements, but just in sheer ride time. It just keeps going and going, and by the end of the ride I was just breathless lol. I was done with the ride after those 4 laps as I just found it exhausting, but wow. Best coaster at Cedar Point for sure.