Eiffel Tower Antenna

pianoman

Hi everyone. I'm currently at Kings Dominion and I noticed that their Eiffel Tower still has the extended antenna. I know the one at KI was removed sometime in the 90's. Does anyone know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I believe it was so that Drop Tower (then Drop Zone) would be (and could be marketed as) the tallest Kings Island attraction at 315 ft, because the Eiffel Tower was taller than that when it had the antenna but its removal shortened the Eiffel Tower's height to 314 ft making Drop Tower one foot taller.

• Like 9

It was gone long before Drop Zone (Tower) was built. I heard from one of the people who worked at the Tower's observation deck that a small plane knocked it off in the early to mid 90s.

Drop Zone was initially going to be an Intamin Giant Drop (Second Generation Freefall) built in Coney Mall where Flight Commander was. The idea was scratched for the Intamin Gyro Drop we see today in Action Zone.

• 10 months later...
On 7/22/2017 at 9:32 AM, Thrill_Biscuit said:

Wish they'd do the same with that ugly, gray cone antenna on the Southeast side wall of the tower head ... or put one on each side to make it symmetrical.

That’s for their weather tracking system.

• Like 1

Here is the first day I saw the Eiffel Towers antenna shortened to its current height of 315 instead of 330ft tall. My reaction at age 12 years old was darn. What was the point in lowering the antenna on the Eiffel Tower. I took the picture on Saturday September 3 1994. From the distance it looked like a McDonalds Straw shoved into a large drink.

1522175161542.jpg

• 3 years later...