Resurrect a KI Coaster

SonofBaconator

The Resurrection  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm gonna go with Son of Beast for this. The mere concept of a wooden coaster over 200+ feet tall was very interesting. However, since you are allowing modifications, I'm going to make a decent number of them because as we know the original SOB had tons of issues.

First up, RCCA would not be the manufacturer for obvious reasons. Instead, the "reborn" Son of Beast would be made by Intamin as one of their pre-fabricated wooden coasters, to avoid any roughness issues (plus as a Intamin prefab it would be considered wood by most, where a RMC topper track coaster would have debaters). I thought about having a more traditional coaster builder like GG or GCI but SOB was over 200 feet tall so maintenance would probably go overboard quickly due to the ride's sheer size, so computer-laser-cut or steel topped wood would be needed. It would also be made of the highest-grade best wood possible, and have structural improvements all over to prevent the issues the original SOB had.

The major change I would also make to the ride's layout would be to remove the entire rose bowl helix, since it was the main area where Son of Beast had issues, and replace it with several El Toro style airtime hills and a overbanked turn-around section. This is because, even without the major issues, since I made SOB a prefab it would also be incredibly smooth and thus the massive helix would probably be boring and forceless unless it was less banked to do laterals, and laterals on a helix that big might become annoying/painful to some riders. The 2nd helix would remain however, since it was smaller and thus COULD be modified to offer up some lateral forces. I would also, in homage to the original Beast, add a tunnel to the bottom of the 1st drop and 2 more tunnels on the now only helix. The first drop would be mostly the same but re-profiled just a bit to offer up some airtime. And the final few hills/turns would be mostly the same, but re-profiled so they would have airtime and the turns near the end would be heavily banked for more thrills. There would still be a MCBR before the loop (yes I would still feature the loop) to run 3 trains for capacity reasons. As for the trains, since this ride is purely fictional, I would instead of Intamin's trains use GCI's Millennium Flyer design due to the comfort factor and how well they track (This is based on that I have now ridden them via Mystic Timbers and love them). Like the old-but-overweight Premier Rides trains, they would be themed to search vehicles that are sent out to look for Son of Beast.

Which brings me to the theming aspect of the ride. I'd keep the overall theme the same (You are employees of Outpost 5, a government base, and have been sent out to look for the captured Son of Beast in its enclosure as it has gone missing) but I'd add things like music near the entrance/que just like Mystic Timbers has, and lots of the FUN TV's in the que would be related to this theme by playing video. There would also be some on-ride audio, ala Mystic Timbers, on the lift hill where, as you near the top, someone calls into the Outpost and warns that Son of Beast is still in its containment and to send back the ride vehic (they are mysteriously interrupted in true roller coaster fashion)...then you reach the top, hear a beast roar, and the ride begins.

Not 100% sure where in the park it could go however, since Banshee took up SOB's spot. Maybe extend the first drop out of the station into a long tunnel that goes under Banshee, then have the final drop do the same, and have the lift hill go behind Banshee's inversions (if the tunnel must be super long, throw some airtime hills in there for kicks)? Might make it longer than the original Beast, but eh, if it happens it happens.

Anyway that's my pick, and what I'd do. Granted what I have thought up is only PART Son of Beast (with some OG Beast, El Toro, and Hades 360 elements making up the rest) and would likely be crazy expensive (but money was never an object). And due to the negative press Son of Beast got, this would also likely never happen. But it was kinda fun to imagine it. :P

• Like 6

I chose Son of Beast, but I have a (slightly) different modification idea from McSalsa's: keep the start of the Rose Bowl, but at the lowest point, curve upward (first left, the right) and have some airtime hills and curvy hills/drops for a unique turnaround section. After this, it can link up with the MCBR to finish the rest of the original course (including the loop).

• Like 1

I decided to go a different route. To keep in the tradition of a spooky Action Zone, I voted to resurrect The Screamin Demon. This ride, however, would come in the form of a B&M Dive Machine. 

Placement would come in multiple options. The first option is to move Congo Falls to Rivertown and build the ride adjacent to Invertigo- where the original location of the ride was. The other option is to build a station where the old Son of Beast station is where there is a lot of terrain. I chose to place mine where the old SOB station once stood.

Since the station is elevated over terrain, as soon as the train is dispatched, riders go down a short but terrifying 90° drop before the makes a slight left turn to the lift hill. Facing the north, the train climbs a 215 foot lift hill before making a sharp right turn. Then looking down 240+feet riders are dropped at another 90° angle. Riders experience an immalman-before the track twists and turns throughout above the terrain. The train then meets a midcourse break run where riders drop into a vertical loop, mimicking the original layout of the demon. After the loop, a dive loop follows where riders find their way heading back to the station. However, right before the final breaks, riders experience a one of a kind heartline roll. A total of four inversions, two 90° drops, speeds reaching nearly 80 mph and an extremely long drop. 

Theming would be about the same as Banshee. The Demon is the only creature that cannot die at the wail of the Banshee. Now after years of  healing, the Demon is back for revenge. Guests walk through the tunnel, the same way they get to The Bat. The area between The Bat and the tunnel has been modified to accommodate more quests as well as a que. In the que, you see more tombstones similar to Banshee and music similar to Mystic Timbers as well as overhead news broadcasts about the Demon's return. Guests look at Redish/orangish track with dark-near black supports. At night, red and orange lights pulse under the coaster's supports. Since the station is on a hill, the station will take on the appearance of an old stone tower. Before the largest drop, guests dangle over the edge only to fall when they hear the demon screams.

Yes I have thought of this for a long time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I miss King Cobra.  I wasn't around for the OG Bat, Bavarian Beetle or the Demon, so I'm not sure if my answer would be the same if I had tried them out.

Woodies are my favorite - but my experiences pre and post loop of SOB were just painful.  If the myriad of issues could be resolved, I may be inclined to change my answer.

I also have trouble making choices like these! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

King Cobra hands down. As most have likely already figured out about me in my short tenure, I'm very nostalgic. Most of the things that I miss most about KI are based upon memories I have from when I was a kid. Much to my mom's dismay, my dad would gradually take me on bigger and bigger coasters when I was likely far too young to be on them (I was very tall for my age when I was younger) and one year we went to KI and he took me over to King Cobra. I was JUST tall enough to fit the harness system, so on we went. I couldn't have been more than 7 at or 8 at my first ride. That ride hooked me so hard, and my dad realized he created a monster probably the 3rd of 4th time we waited through that line that day. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I chose The Bat.

I visited the park this summer with my cousin who hadn't been to the park in years. He loved the current Bat when it was themed to Top Gun and was so excited when he found out it was still open.

The Bat, the former Top Gun and Flight Deck, is one of my favorite coasters at the park. The only downside is that the coaster has a shorter ride duration and a layout similar to Vortex at Canadas Wonderland. The original Bat, as well as quite a few other early Arrow Suspended coasters, had two lift hills and unique layouts. The problem was the mechanical issues that arose as it was a prototype, as well as the wear and tear on the structure. If it were built with banked track and with the technical bugs worked out, it could've honestly been one of the best coasters at Kings Island. 

On 7/26/2017 at 6:03 PM, bjcolglazier said:

I'm voting King Cobra

I like this idea, and it really cool, but there is one thing missing...

Who would build it?

TOGO can't, they're out of business and there American offices are closed. B&M Maybe, but I find it hard for them to install a stand-up because they have been removing more than they can build. Otherwise nice choice.

King Cobra was actually a well done standup coaster. This was largely do to how short and sweet the course was.

On the flip side was Mantis at Cedar Point. While the lift hill and first couple elements were enjoyable, somewhere along the way I'd start thinking it would be nice if the ride was over already.

I only rode Ghoster Coaster once.  It had horrid capacity.  Each car/train only held two people.  The one time I rode the ride was on a day when the park was very empty in Sunday October (around 1999 or 2000).  There were only about ten people ahead of us in line, and we still had to wait nearly fifteen minutes to ride.  It was not a very fun ride either.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...