Ohio State Fair Ride Malfunction (1 Death and critical injuries)

Sad news from the Ohio State Fair! This is not a Larson looper.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- One person died and six others were injured at the Ohio State Fair Wednesday, WBNS reported.

The Columbus Division of Fire told WBNS the death and injuries followed a malfunction on the ride "Fireball."

Five of the six were listed in critical condition, according to the report. The last was in stable condition.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/state-ohio/report-1-dead-6-injured-after-ride-malfunction-at-ohio-state-fair

Edit: Another news outlet: http://www.10tv.com/article/1-dead-6-injured-after-ride-malfunctions-ohio-state-fair

This is a video of the ride at the OSF in 2015 -

There are 6 sets of 4 seats and one of the sets of seats detached. There is supposed to be a press briefing soon. 

The State Fair has said that all rides will be shut down until further notice pending the investigation and further inspections. 

Very sad. Very graphic videos are coming out. These tear down rides need better regulated. This should never ever happen. I hope I do not offend anyone but these people who own the rides and put them up/ take down are....how do I say.......Not in the right mind.

• Like 5

This is just heartbreaking for the person who died,the injured people, and the witnesses. They expected to have a fun day at the fair and it ended in tragedy. 

The Ohio Department of Agriculture (http://www.agri.ohio.gov/rides/) inspects all rides before, during and after set-up. There is an article from The Dispatch explaining a small bit of the process - http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170725/ohio-state-fair--rides-will-be-ready-despite-set-up-delays  

Indyguy4ki and I have both talked with ride inspectors at a fair industry event. The people I've talked with seem to take their job very seriously. Knowing several fair managers, this is the last thing they would want to happen at their fair and to their fair goers. 

• Like 4

The video of the accident is shocking. It's not as graphic as you would expect. The video does not show any injuries but does show people being thrown. The disturbing video would be the one that people shot and put up on YouTube of the rescue of the bodies/people. I also don't blame the people for shooting and uploading video. It's breaking news. It's disturbing but I don't blame them. This might be how they are coping of being in the situation and seeing something like this.

Prayers to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just watched a live feed of a press conference from the governor of Ohio, John Kasich and this is what i jotted down from it:

-1 Dead, 7 injured. Information on the victims have not been released yet. 1 is in surgery, 2 are at a childrens hospital and 3 are in surgery.
-Mr. Kasich has ordered that all rides be shut down and inspected before re-opening
-Inspection side: 11 rides did not open at 10 A.M. wit the fair toady, however about 5 did after passing inspection. 4 may not open at all.
-THE RIDE THAT WAS IN THE ACCIDENT WAS INSPECTED MULTIPLE TIMES AND WAS SIGNED OFF TODAY.

Q&A was held (Inspector from Agriculture answered questions):
-Fair will be open tomorrow however rides will be shut down until passing inspection (per Mr. Kasich's orders)
- Ride inspection in stages:
  1. Inspected on trucks the ride came in on
  2. Inspected when the ride is 1/2 way built
  3. Inspected when fully built
  4.Inspected while sending test cycles
-There are 4300 pieces of equipment (Go-kart tracks, amusement rides etc.) that are inspected every year.
-Ride featured in incident was assembled from multiple trucks, and part of the inspection was that the ride is on level land. No red flags arose while inspecting the ride.
-Each ride goes through a pass/fail test. The ride in the accident passed inspection.
-Metal fatigue is possible.
-SUPPOSEDLY: The worker assigned to that ride went to fix something on the ride before the accident occurred. Some people said that he climbed up to tighten something, whether or not it was on an arm, seat or center of the ride is not known.
-MR. KASSICH'S MESSAGE TO PEOPLE ATTENDING THE FAIR AND HAVE SEASON TICKETS/PASS: " It appears everything went as planned inspection wise. People have to use their judgement before boarding a ride"

I don't believe the floor came up, something came loose and the ride carriage struck the floor and barrier at the end of the ride platform. As a matter of fact I don't think the floor even raises/lowers like on a HUSS Frisbee. I think the seats are just positioned so that your feet are above the ground. Just like Banshee's trains are.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

Very sad. Very graphic videos are coming out. These tear down rides need better regulated. This should never ever happen. I hope I do not offend anyone but these people who own the rides and put them up/ take down are....how do I say.......Not in the right mind.

Absolutely correct.

I will say that in my type of work (manufacturing), many things that are "wrong", start to get ignored because it becomes the "norm".  When it becomes the "norm" we get desensitized to the actual problem.

This is why every: state, city, township, county, WHATEVER needs an authority to oversee these moving carnivals.  A 2nd set of eyes should always be required when it comes to the safety of riders.

The video is graphic, but also explains what happened.  Hopefully it will put the rumors to rest that this was IN NO WAY the riders' fault.

• Like 4

I saw this video on YouTube and now I wish I hadn't watched it. I also follow a couple of amusement park enthusiast sites on Facebook and my feed was flooded with multiple people posting the video of the accident. I had to get off of Facebook just because of that. I pray for comfort for the family of the one who died and for the other families that have loved ones in critical condition.

On a final note, I was watching the Today Show this morning and I expected for them to be reporting on the accident. However, I thought it was pretty insensitive to show the video. They paused it right at the point where the car breaks off and people go flying. Well, there isn't much more video after that. Not sure why it needed to be shown by them at all. Should have used stock footage of an operating one just so people would know what kind of ride it is. Not cool.

• Like 1

It is not extremely graphic so I will post this.  It is a photo from a dutch forum which shows the broken arm.las.jpg

I am pretty confident that the row did not strike the floor until after it had already detached from the arm.  This impact appears to release at least two of the restraints which allowed two individuals to come loose.  Which is why the video shows two individuals flying through the air.

Accidents like this are not acceptable.  Either there needs to be more inspections or this ride needs redesigned.  But it should never occur again.

• Like 10

I'm still shocked this happened.  I read the report and saw the video and it kind of ruined the rest of my night last night.  So sad for everyone involved and I can't even imagine witnessing/being a part of something like this.  This is one of the reasons why I don't get on rides at carnivals, fairs, or festivals.  I just don't trust them.  And not to judge, but most of the time the people running them don't really look too professional.  I hope the investigations reveal some answers and that they can remedy the glitch in this particular ride so it never happens again.  Also, hopefully stricter regulations will be put into place for these types of rides.  It would be nice to never hear of a similar tragedy on a carnival ride ever again.  Prayers for all involved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

This is why every: state, city, township, county, WHATEVER needs an authority to oversee these moving carnivals.  A 2nd set of eyes should always be required when it comes to the safety of riders.

If I recall correctly, the ride was inspected by the appropriate governing authority.  (Ohio Dept of Agriculture)  The rides are supposed to be inspected before at each site before the operator is allowed to operate them to the public.  So, in theory, the ride is inspected several times a year.  But, is it a cursory inspection to ensure it is properly set up, or is it a thorough inspection to include all aspects of the ride.

On the surface, it appears that multiple inspections should prevent such failures vs annual inspections at fixed rides in amusement parks.  But then there even problems, like the cable that severed the girl's legs at SIX FLAGS Kentucky Kingdom.  (Of note, many enthusiasts blast the "new" Kentucky Kingdom for having redundant safety checks that can slow down dispatch times on some attractions.)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

If I recall correctly, the ride was inspected by the appropriate governing authority.  (Ohio Dept of Agriculture)  The rides are supposed to be inspected before at each site before the operator is allowed to operate them to the public.  So, in theory, the ride is inspected several times a year.  But, is it a cursory inspection to ensure it is properly set up, or is it a thorough inspection to include all aspects of the ride.

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I read this as only an annual inspection is required: (key area highlighted)

(1) No person shall operate an amusement ride within the state without a permit issued by the director of agriculture under division (A)(2) of this section. The owner of an amusement ride, whether the ride is a temporary amusement ride or a permanent amusement ride, who desires to operate the amusement ride within the state shall, prior to the operation of the amusement ride and annually thereafter, submit to the department of agriculture an application for a permit, together with the appropriate permit and inspection fee, on a form to be furnished by the department. Prior to issuing any permit the department shall, within thirty days after the date on which it receives the application, inspect each amusement ride described in the application. The owner of an amusement ride shall have the amusement ride ready for inspection not later than two hours after the time that is requested by the person for the inspection.

(G) As a supplement to its annual inspection of a temporary amusement ride, the department may inspect the ride during each scheduled event, as listed in the schedule of events provided to the department by the owner pursuant to division (C) of section 1711.55 of the Revised Code, at which the ride is operated in this state. These supplemental inspections are in addition to any other inspection or reinspection of the ride as may be required under sections 1711.50 to 1711.57 of the Revised Code, and the owner of the temporary amusement ride is not required to pay an inspection or reinspection fee for this supplemental inspection. Nothing in this division shall be construed to prohibit the owner of a temporary amusement ride having a valid permit to operate in this state from operating the ride at a scheduled event before the department conducts a supplemental inspection.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.53

I take the (G) section use of the word "may" as it is not required for every individual set-up.

• Like 3

If you look at the video on the downward swing one of the entire sections came off and fell down to the ground while throwing 2 people into the sky. One rider actually was hit by the oncoming ride ( the other side of the ride). It is a video that will forever be engraved into my mind when seeing these rides from now on.

• Like 5

For those wondering about inspections 10 TV has posted a copy of the paperwork filed with the state.  The ride was inspected by the state prior to operation.  Also you will find copies of the NDT reports but these do not include inspections of the arms.  A few states list inspection requirements by ride and I cannot find any testing requirement for the arms.

The ride in question is serial number 6.  It looks like a case of metal fatigue which KMG appears to not have expected so no one is looking for it during inspections.

• Like 2

Looking at a picture of that arm. It seems like metal just broke in half. Rusted through. There is no way inspectors are going to see that. I mean At least I have no idea if they look at the metal arms and how strong the metal actually is on an older ride that's been in the rain for years.

• Like 3

Just wanted to point out that permanent amusement/theme park attractions require HOURS and DAYS of operational test runs, cycles and inspections prior to passing inspection and accepting riders.  In addition, coaster/ride chassis undergo routine stress tests such as zinc baths and black light inspection during off seasons. 

Fair and carnival rides don't.

The public/media cannot/does not differentiate between permanent and portable rides - they lump them all into one category.  This casts a black cloud on parks of which guest safety is a primary concern.  For years and years there's been a need for a different set of rules... however these rides continue to slip through the cracks. (no pun intended)

I am not blaming anyone - it was an accident of course - and no one wants to see anyone harmed or injured on any ride.   But fair/carnival rides undergo an inordinate amount of wear and tear outside of plain operation for tear down and set up (not to mention travel on the backs of trucks.)  

About 20-some years ago I witnessed a Tilt-O-Whirl failure at a fair.  The ride partially collapsed when the entire back half of one of the cars came off mid-operation with riders.  No one was injured - thank Heavens - but it scared me enough that I don't ride them and recommend that others avoid them as well.

I'm actually surprised that Massachusetts Senator Ed Markey hasn't spoken up yet - this is the perfect platform for him to grandstand about how awful rides are.

• Like 13

The Indiana State Fair, set to open next Friday, passed along an announcement that its Midway operator, North American Midway Entertainment, will NOT be bringing its Fireball ride to the Fair next week.  The Indiana State Fair uses a different midway vendor then its brethren in Ohio and Kentucky.

• Like 1