Ohio State Fair Ride Malfunction (1 Death and critical injuries)

On 7/27/2017 at 5:03 PM, Maverick44 said:

Yeah from the pic someone shared above. The metal looks to have just failed. Looks sorta or rusted. I wonder if they ever do a comprehensive inspection looking for weak spots in the metal.

-

• Like 2

More than likely it was a much smaller issue at first, then the ride crashed into the side of the platform. So we know that for some reason it was hanging lower than it should have been. Unfortunately any pictures like this out of context will be hard to decipher because we don't know what the CAUSE of the incident was VS. damage from the incident its self. 

Something had to make the ride hang lower right after that up swing because all of the other rides and the start of this cycle were making it over that side railing. Something had to of broke loose and it sank lower then normal on that last down swing. It had to hit with so much force to break that metal off like that and not just bend it.

17 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Something had to make the ride hang lower right after that up swing because all of the other rides and the start of this cycle were making it over that side railing. Something had to of broke loose and it sank lower then normal on that last down swing. It had to hit with so much force to break that metal off like that and not just bend it.

Indeed, it's gonna be a bit of work for them to figure out. Nothing might have even been "broken" per say but just enough play somewhere that caused it when the positive forces would be pulling down on the seats/arms.

My county fair (the Greene County Fair) opens next week. I'm still planning on riding the rides there as I always do, but this time I'm going to be extra careful...

-BFF, whose county fair has not had such a ride incident (as far as she knows) and hopefully continues to go without one for years to come if not forever.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TheRickster said:

then the ride crashed into the side of the platform. So we know that for some reason it was hanging lower than it should have been.

When did it hit the side of the platform? Second how do we know it was hanging lower than it should have?

From what I can tell it did not hit anything until after it had already broken off the arm.

• Like 1

I mean just watching the video it seems as if it did. I mean that kinda of break doesn't warrant that it simply just broke off. I feel it hit the side. Could be wrong. Seems to be more then it just simply falling off. How do we know anything.............. your guess is as good as mine at this point.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kenban said:

When did it hit the side of the platform? Second how do we know it was hanging lower than it should have?

From what I can tell it did not hit anything until after it had already broken off the arm.

I don't see where we are disagreeing. But It crashed into the railing on the side of the platform while it was in the process of breaking or had already broken.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I read this as only an annual inspection is required: (key area highlighted)

I don't ride carnival attractions, so besides the sympathy for the affected people, I'm not too much of an active participant of this story other than following the industry at large.  That being said, when the local (Lexington, KY) news put the local spin on this story today, the Dept of Ag inspector they interviewed stated that in KY, the rides are inspected at set up and daily at each location.  Don't know about Ohio, but that seems pretty extensive.  But again, is it cursory or detailed?  I have a feeling most inspections will be ramped up after this incident.

I found this interesting: It's a Luna model, obviously not the exact same model as the one that malfunctioned. I immediately noticed that there were more supports between the carriages, but I've never seen one set up before.

I've never gone on a carnival ride. I guess because I always had an amusement park nearby.

18 hours ago, Shaggy said:

The public/media cannot/does not differentiate between permanent and portable rides - they lump them all into one category.  This casts a black cloud on parks of which guest safety is a primary concern.  For years and years there's been a need for a different set of rules... however these rides continue to slip through the cracks. (no pun intended)

I'm just wondering about the status of the similar in-park models, like The Claw at Hersheypark and Revolution at Dorney.

13 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I don't see where we are disagreeing. But It crashed into the railing on the side of the platform while it was in the process of breaking or had already broken.

My issue is that you keep talking in absolutes about things that we cannot know for certain.  For instance from this message you stated that it crashed into the railing.  But if you slow down the video and watch it frame by frame I believe that the row clears the fence.  A leg or foot might have impacted the fence as it went over but I am just not sure.  It is also possible I am wrong and it hit the fence, it is hard to tell distances from the video.  But I have seen pictures of the fence from after the accident occurred and it does not appear to be damaged.

Same thing about impacting the floor.  The more pictures I see of the ride after the accident occurred I am not certain anything struck the floor.  Pictures show the floor appears to be intact and undamaged.  This leaves me to think that the noise we hear is actually the arm failing and not the row striking the floor.  

How is it possible that it did not strike the floor or the fence?  You have to understand when the arm failed the entire structure was swinging upward which would be the point of greatest stress on the arm which makes sense as to why I think it failed at the time it did.  When the arm fails if the row is already traveling upward then it would continue until gravity pulls it down.  It would also have considerable sideways momentum.  This might allow it to clear the floor and the side rail.  The rotation could be a by product of the failure as well.  The row is being pulled into the air from that one single point when the arm failed it should impart a rotation in the direction seen in the video.  If the rotation is just natural due to how it was being moved before the failure, or if it is from striking something possibly another row on the ride I cannot tell from the video.

I am doing a lot of speculating about what occurred and I think that is natural and understandable.  I just would like to see people not state things like they are facts until it is certain they are correct.

I'm a firm believer that all accidents are preventable, that being said, it sounds as if the carnival operator did take the necessary precautions to operate the ride.  Perhaps fatigue testing should be conducted more?  (that then raises the question(s) where on the ride are the tests conducted)

Anyone remember the Chaos accident years ago?  The recent tragedy is starting to sound similar.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/073101/upd_075-5288.shtml#.WXs-gtTysdU

There are a few on here that would be best if they stop speculating as if they are dealing with facts.... when you state in absolutes you can look silly... you also run he risk of making the rest of the site look bad. Some media have been known to look on here because at one point we had experts on here commentating.... the ones that are stating with facts donnotnappear to be experts ....

Kenban! Great description of the ride physics. My only question is did it get hit by the back row as well which might have caused it to clear the fence as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

^ It is difficult to tell from the video but I do not believe it did.  My guess is that the row itself did not strike anything including another row of seats until it hit the ground.  It just looks like it is too far out ahead which from a physics standpoint makes sense.  Until the break occurs everything is traveling the same speed in the same direction.  The other rows are still attached to the arms which will pull the rest upward in an arc and by the time the opposite side gets to where the row broke off I believe it has already cleared the area.

But there were two people ejected from the ride.  I think both came from the row which detracted from the ride.  Those individuals appear to have been thrown into one of the other rows.  The restraints likely failed when the hydraulic lines were severed by the row detached from the ride.

• Like 1