The Island at Pigeon Forge

One article I read on the Ohio State Fair accident led to another article about an accident within the past two weeks on a ride called "The Wave Runner" at The Island in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. The ride was new (or at least new to The Island) in June of this year, and they've already decided to remove it. If you've been to Pigeon Forge in recent years, this location is the site of the large Sky Wheel. There are several other rides there. I've not ridden any of them personally, but they struck me as more of a temporary/fair type ride as opposed to the permanent rides you'd find at Dollywood. 

I rode the Great Smoky Mountain Ferris Wheel during my Dollywood trip in June! The view was amazing, especially with the sun setting and the brightly lit park below. In my opinion the Wheel was worth the $14 for that ~ten-minute ride! I also love the fountain shows - they're so cool! The fountains and the Wheel are enough to get me back to The Island. I was definitely impressed on my first visit and it helped cap off a wonderful day that I had spent at Dollywood!!

• Like 2

The ride you're speaking of at the Island was either brand new or the demo model presented at IAPPA last year. I don't think it was even open a week. It's also the same ride as what Knobels opened this year. I'm guessing it's removal had more to do with PR versus actual ride safety.

• Like 2

I actually rode it when I was there in June and really enjoyed it.  It packs a lot more force than you would expect.  It would be a capacity nightmare in a bigger park (12 people at a time, 6 on each side) but I think it would be a great addition to a park like Coney or even Strickers.  I think if the manufacturer built a bigger version with double the capacity it may be a good fit for some bigger parks.  

As far as the restraints, it is a simple over the shoulder restraint on top and they the bottom part just closes and latches.  

If you do go to the Island I would recommend getting the all day pass which is $30 but it give you 24 hours of unlimited rides on the Sky Wheel as well as the flats.  The flats are pretty basic but the Wheel makes it worth it.

• Like 1