Adventure Express Trains

flightoffear1996

Since some users including myself over at Point Buzz were talking about this recently, I just want to say that AE's trains are superior to Cedar Creek Mine Ride's trains. I can ride AE with no problem, but the lap bar on CCMR makes it so uncomfortable for me to ride. I wish Arrow would've updated the trains on it while they were still around. And it looks like CP is going to do their own "What's in the shed" during Halloweekends on CCMR. 

• Like 5

(Re: the above post) That would have been really nice if CP had gone through with that. Cedar Creek Mine Ride's trains are really uncomfortable and the addition of Gemini's trains would have helped improve the ride experience. The only reason I plan to ride it in the near future is for the Cedar Creek Mystic Mine Ride makeover. However, I wonder if the "shed" will be at the end of the ride or will use the tunnel at the beginning of the ride.

It's likely to use the maintenance shed at the beginning of the ride and it's likely to just be some silly decorations. 

I don't necessarily have a problem with the trains, I just have an issue when the restraints are being lowered. I hate that I have to tuck my feet/legs under my seat until after the restraints are locked. That's extremely uncomfortable.

I like Adventure Express and my son does as well. Eventually, it will leave. In favor of what? Who knows. And at what time? None of us know. All of these old Arrow coasters are getting up there in years as well. 

I also agree that the CCMR trains are not as comfortable. It's also a lot less fun, IMO.

Reading thru this thread it reminds me how baffling it is (to me) the park will spend millions on new rides, but won't spend maybe half-a-million to really spruce up a ride that has been around forever, and still fits.  AE is the perfect example.  Could use more tunnels, some fancy lighting here and there in those tunnels, a more interesting queue.  It's still a great ride!  Just has lost some of the sheen of it's mine-train heritage.  Easy fixer-upper though.

• Like 3

^ I disagree with that statement.  Just a year or two ago Kings Island spent a lot of money upgrading Flight of Fear.  Many lights that formerly had been out were either repaired or replaced.  Old lighting tech was replaced with new high tech LED's and all of the old TVs were replaced.  It may not happen every year, but they do on occasion pay big $$$ to spruce up a ride.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FoF96" said:

^ I disagree with that statement.  Just a year or two ago Kings Island spent a lot of money upgrading Flight of Fear.  Many lights that formerly had been out were either repaired or replaced.  Old lighting tech was replaced with new high tech LED's and all of the old TVs were replaced.  It may not happen every year, but they do on occasion pay big $$$ to spruce up a ride.

Fair enough, and you make a valid point for sure.  I guess I wish they'd do these things more.  There certainly have been upgrades/paint-jobs/things-like-that.  Flight-of-Fear is a great mention though...they've done some good work there recently.  Adventure Express---to me---is an old ride that has a lot of potential.  Still a good ride, could be an absolutely amazing/different ride with some changes/upgrades.  Somewhere on here I once read and was reminded that KI is "not a theme park".  It was once, and it sorta always will be.  I hope.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 8:55 PM, bjcolglazier said:

Fair enough, and you make a valid point for sure.  I guess I wish they'd do these things more.  There certainly have been upgrades/paint-jobs/things-like-that.  Flight-of-Fear is a great mention though...they've done some good work there recently.  Adventure Express---to me---is an old ride that has a lot of potential.  Still a good ride, could be an absolutely amazing/different ride with some changes/upgrades.  Somewhere on here I once read and was reminded that KI is "not a theme park".  It was once, and it sorta always will be.  I hope.

What exactly is the difference between the two? It seems to me that you can be a theme park that embraces thrill/amusement Seekers, then you cover all your bases, and not sacrifice your theming! 

On August 29, 2017 at 11:03 PM, PKIVortex said:

At one point Cedar Point toyed with the idea of using the extra red and blue train from Gemini on CCMR. Yes Gemini used to run 3 trains per side.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Never knew that! That's odd though. It would he a lot of work changing the wheel configuration as well as removing the trains from Gemini and placing them on CCMR.

I remember seeing pictures of them test those trains on CCMR. Must not have worked the way they wanted.

@Hmrapp this was done in the off season. I am not sure what you mean by wheel configuration. They are both Arrows and assuming the guage of the track is identical. Not sure why anything with wheels would need changed?

On 9/4/2017 at 9:14 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I remember seeing pictures of them test those trains on CCMR. Must not have worked the way they wanted.

@Hmrapp this was done in the off season. I am not sure what you mean by wheel configuration. They are both Arrows and assuming the guage of the track is identical. Not sure why anything with wheels would need changed?

Yes! I was referring to the gauge of the track. Nevertheless, I never knew about this and it seems quite interesting.

Is has been down to 2 trains for a while. Someone else may know what year the third train was removed.
They removed the third train in 09 due to the seat belts being added ... It slowed the operators down with having an extra thing to check and it would cause the trains to stack constantly.. They would stack to the point one would be stopped on the final lift hill and because of that the ride would e-stop itself. This was my first year working at the park and by the second weekend of operation they decided to remove the third train. They still have the third train but it stays in storage. They rotate the trains out each season and completely rebuild one so there is a "new train" on the ride every year. If you look closely you will notice that sometimes they will run trains 1 and 3 and then the next year they will run trains 1 and 2 for example.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 3