Haunt 2017

Bradenwhite

I'm a little concerned they may skimp even more on Haunt this year with Winterfest being the real focus. I was pretty disappointed with it overall last year and I'd hate to lose the little good it had because they have a bigger event. It's a short turn-over though...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pkifreak23 said:

I hope they give the boot to either urgent scare or sorority row. They are both just kinda run down and need changed.  On the plus side we do know we are getting at least 2 new mazes so maybe it won't be too skimpy?? So excited!!

Maybe with two new mazes going in they will get rid of both of those. They are probably the oldest ones outside of Carnevil i believe. Though while I love the fact that they have so many haunts to go through at the park (Whereas many of the others in the chain seem to ahve about half what we do) I wouldn't mind seeing them scale back a little bit and go down by one or two if it means we can get better staffed and higher quality ones. Seems liek a lot fo the time you go trhough the mazes and there are hardly any scare actors in them. So maybe if there was a couple fewer and have 10 instead of 12, this would still give us a lot to do and they coudl then spread out the scare actors from those two mazes to other mazes or scare zones.

• Like 2

Wow, those are surprising picks, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, mostly because I thought they were talking about actual mazes leaving, not a scare zone and a maze. I assumed Urgent Scare would be one of the mazes to go. Sorority House isn't all /that/ surprising of a choice though, after they had to change the name. 

Nightmare Alley wasn't much of a zone, really, with nothing much going on other than the eyeballs in the trees and fake spiders. I wonder if that path will become a new scare zone with actual performers. 

• Like 5

Hot Blooded, Monster Rock & Blood Drums should be back this year for shows. I saw the tombstones for Nightmare Alley & Sorority House and also at Coasterstock Lance said 3 new additions were coming this year, hoping more rooms like The Viewing like last year.  

• Like 2

Submitted for the approval of the midnight society, I present:

The Tale of KI2017 Haunt's Attractions list: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/haunt/attractions

(fair notice: so far it only has the stuff from last year minus the things that will be removed. It does not yet list the new things that have been said to be coming. Keep eyes on that space)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Wow, those are surprising picks, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, mostly because I thought they were talking about actual mazes leaving, not a scare zone and a maze. I assumed Urgent Scare would be one of the mazes to go. Sorority House isn't all /that/ surprising of a choice though, after they had to change the name. 

Nightmare Alley wasn't much of a zone, really, with nothing much going on other than the eyeballs in the trees and fake spiders. I wonder if that path will become a new scare zone with actual performers. 

I thought they had performers last year? I do know before last year they didn't.

• Like 2

They did. Nightmare Alley was a unique "catch-all" scare zone, with clowns and this really cool owl/bug thing (I thought it looked like a bug, but I've been told it was actually an owl). There were also other misc. characters included in there, like this guy who lept at guests in a bungee suit. Though it's a shame two attractions as leaving (Sorority House was interesting and fun and the aforementioned Nightmare Alley was defetintely one of the more random/unique scare zones) I'm interested to read up on the new attractions. Also, I may finally be able to see Hot Blooded this year (as I missed last year's chance due to rain!)

EDIT: Also, I'm glad Blood Drums and Backwoods came back! And of course, I'm very much looking forward to touring Sam's place once again.

• Like 5

^ Shhh... don't let @aandjgoods hear you. :)

It's likely that Sorority House's prime location in Coney Mall makes it a better candidate for a re-do than Urgent Scare. Granted, Sorority House had 4 seasons, while Urgent Scare will be celebrating its 10th season.

• Like 5

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Board To Death and Urgent Scare both being removed. They don't seem that great anymore. It seemed like last year, there were fewer monsters roaming the midways than in previous years. I remember going to Haunt in 2007, which was the first year it changed from FearFest to Halloween Haunt. There were a lot more monsters back then.

This year will be different because I'm sure there will be Winterfest preparation going on during Haunt. Assuming it's like it was in 2005, they will probably drain the fountain after Labor Day to begin preparation for the ice rink. So Blood Drums might not be the same this year with the fountain being drained. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'm hoping they put "Trick or Treat" into the area where sorority house is. As for a new scare zone, I think they could do something like Cedar Points scare zones. Something unique and interesting (and scary of course) I was hoping urgent scare would leave so that we could see a return of action theater. But obviously that probably won't happen :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, XGatorHead 8904 said:

Wel thank u butt it aynt my playce qwyt yet. Mama stil runs the playce butt if sumthin wer 2 hapin 2 Mama hoo nos... -Sam

I gotcha, Sam! I guess I just refer to that way as you are one of the best parts of the place (even though Mama runs it...). :D Also, I thought of you today when I ate at City Barbeque as I put some "Swine Wine" (a mostly vinegar-mix condiment) on my sandwich and fries. As much as I'm going to miss the talented guys and gals from Cirque (last show is Aug. 20th...), it's good to know that Haunt is only a little more than a month away.  

• Like 3

Wonder if they will add any sort of scare zone through Rivertown to tie into the backstory o Mystic Timbers. They seem to be trying to stretch that storyine throughout the area with teh addition of some of the vines added to The Beast queue and the vine tunnels they put in for WWC queue.

• Like 3

Hey guys, got a Haunt question! Today i went in for actor auditions and after a strange interview of screaming and howling i was selected for Wold Pack. As for my question, before going in today i applied online as a makeup artist. (Im already a digital and traditional artist with practice) While i was in today i was told tomorrow there will be audition/interviews for that tomorrow. Personally i would like the makeup job more than the acting position but still would be fine as an actor. Would you recommend going in tomorrow for the makeup interview too, or sending a follow up email? Thanks for any advice! 

Edit: Also as a secondary kind of question, do they always assign specific houses? my friends who worked at haunt before were more in the Carnevil and freak street area which had more of my attention

• Like 1

It never hurts to ask about it.  If they say they really need you for Wolf Pack...go for it.  If you get a good energetic team to work with this job can be a blast.  

In the meantime, don't forget about the make-up job, ask about it as much as you feel comfortable.  It may be a job you have to chase down a little.

• Like 1

I still feel like there's hope for a return of a haunt at the Eiffel Towers top.  

Cornstalkers in definitely gone, the gardens are already being prepped for Winterfest.  

It's also so hard to try and look for clues for haunts anymore in the park since most of them have their own buildings now.  Those who don't are quick turnovers, and small decorations that are covered in fog during the event.

The list I have shows 10 mazes and 2 scarezones plus Hot Blooded/Blood Drums/Monster Rock all returning.  If things remain the same as past seasons we'll get another scarezone and two more mazes, right?

Lance also said we'd be losing a haunt, but gaining two new "attractions"...not necessarily two news haunts.

Either way, I'm extremely excited and confused at the same time.

• Like 1